Kai Episode 2 (12 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I haven't read anything in this thread yet, but I feel that the edits REALLY hurt this episode in terms of pacing as it felt way too fast. After seeing the original episodes over and over, you already have a feeling what's cut out. Piccolo's entrance was far less dramatic than it was in the original.

Plus they cut out an AWESOME shot of Goku and Piccolo flying that was in the original episodes. :(
I like Piccolo's entrance, especially with the new BGM. Did you like the new theme Piccolo got?
As far as pacing, I think you're in the same camp with most us here.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:52 pm

I know we're not allowed to discuss the getting of Fansubs in here, but if the fansubbers made a Comically hysterical mistake, can I talk about it? XD
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Here's a comparison of the two title cards we've seen so far:

Episode 1

Episode 2

And just for giggles, here are the two warning messages:

Oolong215
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oolong215 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 am

I just re-watched the first episode and saw the second for the first time. So far, the series has been pure awesome IMO.
How can thou be out of breath when thou hast breat to say thou art out of breath?

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 am

DemonRin wrote:I know we're not allowed to discuss the getting of Fansubs in here, but if the fansubbers made a Comically hysterical mistake, can I talk about it? XD
I think it's ok to some extent to discuss, just don't gloat about it. I don't agree with fan-subs. Funimation has the license, and great subs at that, so I'm loyal to Funi in that respect. By the way, what was so funny? :P

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 am

What do the warning messages say?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:
DemonRin wrote:I know we're not allowed to discuss the getting of Fansubs in here, but if the fansubbers made a Comically hysterical mistake, can I talk about it? XD
I think it's ok to some extent to discuss, just don't gloat about it. I don't agree with fan-subs. Funimation has the license, and great subs at that, so I'm loyal to Funi in that respect. By the way, what was so funny? :P
Oh trust me, I'm loyal to FUNi too, ESPECIALLY since they got One Piece!
I just can't be happier with them!
Since I'm not the only one in my house who likes DB, but I am the only one who knows Japanese, I get fansubs for my Cousin and Brother (only because it's not out officially yet, as soon as it is I WILL be buying it)
But I saw the funniest mistake!
You know how in the beginning, Son is talking about Piccolo and how he beat him at the 23rd Budokai? Well, this fansub group actually changed it from "Tenkaichi Budokai" to "Budokai Tenkaichi" to match the American Sparking Name!! XD I KNEW that incorrect game name would come back to bite us in the butt!

And If I wasn't supposed to talk about this, i'm sorry, please go easy on me...
Rod wrote:What do the warning messages say?
Basically "Please sit a good distance away from the television in a Well-lit room or the Pokemon will kill you"
Anime has had this message since Pokemon almost killed a bunch of people a while back
Last edited by DemonRin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 am

Basically just "don't sit too close, turn on the lights, etc". It's an anti-seizure warning that has been present in all anime since the Pokemon seizure incident rocked the foundations of the Japanese government.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:*snip*
Thanks! I really wanted the second episode title card.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:16 am

Oh yeah the Porygon episode :lol: I watched it and nothing happened :D

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:*snip*
Thanks! I really wanted the second episode title card.
No problem, my pleasure.
Rod wrote:Oh yeah the Porygon episode :lol: I watched it and nothing happened :D
Yeah, it actually got randomly brought up at the teenagers table today at dinner, and we all watched it full screen several times and got nothing. One of us was even a 100% native Japanese!

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:03 am

Did anybody realise in the next episode preview, Goku's kame logo where it's white is orange? Maybe they'll fix it in the actual episode.

LOL at the warning message at the beginning. I had no idea they showed those at the beginning of anime just for that purpose. I do remember the Pokemon problem a long time ago though.
Last edited by ultimateemail5000 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Did anybody realise in the next episode preview, Goku's kame logo where it's white is orange? Maybe they'll fix it in the actual episode.
Yep. Back about five pages before this one, someone posted a cap of it.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:28 am

Did anyone else notice that the Dream 9 logo was added to the eyecatch for this episode?

Here's the eyecatch for the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6rNlRcFjA&fmt=22

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:34 am

I just finished episode 2, and I felt the music fared much better this time, because it actually shut up instead of frantically pushing everything forward.

I'm still so-so on Kai, I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not the definitive way to watch the show for me, I can't really see myself purchasing it in the future, except maybe a dvd or two to get the OP/ED animations.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I just finished episode 2, and I felt the music fared much better this time, because it actually shut up instead of frantically pushing everything forward.
I just finished my documentationof the BGM in episode 2, and there were a total of 19 tracks (only one less than the first episode, but on average these 19 were shorter than the ones in the first), with 13 of those tracks being recycled from the first episode.

I liked how they re-used that one guitar piece at the very end (since it's probably my favorite piece so far), and I also like that new piece that was played when Goku and Piccolo arrived to face Raditz (DBK_BGM_018 in my documentation).

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:Turn the lights on and don't sit too close to the TV or the Pokeymanz will give you seizures again, kplzthxdontsueus."
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Quakster

Post by Quakster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Yeah, it actually got randomly brought up at the teenagers table today at dinner, and we all watched it full screen several times and got nothing. One of us was even a 100% native Japanese!
I hate to go on a tangent but the seizures were caused by epilepsy, triggered by the flashing effects used in the episode.
Iso Vihreä.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:30 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Did anyone else notice that the Dream 9 logo was added to the eyecatch for this episode?

*snipped images*

Here's the eyecatch for the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6rNlRcFjA&fmt=22
They were also like that in the first episode, but everyone seems to be forgetting that since they're using the non-Fuji TV raws, which don't have the Dream9 logo on them. In fact, you even commented on it yourself right after episode 1 aired... http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 138#249138
SSj_Rambo wrote:Here's a comparison of the two title cards we've seen so far:
Is nobody else bummed that they're using the same title card image over, and possibly over again. It just seems kind of lazy. Not that it looks bad or anything, but I always liked all the different, and sometimes crazy, title card images. Though, I do have a feeling that they're going to give each arc its own title card image, since this appears to be the landscape shot for Vegeta and Goku's epic battle on Earth. So maybe for the Freeza arc we'll get a shot of Namek or something. But I still say some new ones would be nice.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Quakster wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Yeah, it actually got randomly brought up at the teenagers table today at dinner, and we all watched it full screen several times and got nothing. One of us was even a 100% native Japanese!
I hate to go on a tangent but the seizures were caused by epilepsy, triggered by the flashing effects used in the episode.
I have to call bullshit on that.

"Later, researchers who studied the Pokemon phenomenon reported in the Southern Medical Journal that only a small fraction of the 618 children treated were actually diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy. "

Depending on what you downloaded, the episode may have been already gutted to make it safe to watch anyway.

--------------------

About the title cards, it's a bummer. I don't like it. I mean, they have to do SO LITTLE that is new, compared to the new series that they are making, it shouldn't be too much to ask that they put the same effort into title cards that they did when they were putting all the OTHER new series effort into it.