Genre changing?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Genre changing?

Post by Miracles » Tue May 19, 2009 5:08 pm

I hear a lot of people talk about how Dragonball changed genre of manga?
I am not even sure what this means, is it talking as far as the action [fighting scenes]?

Thanks for any help or sources.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Genre changing?

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Miracles wrote:I hear a lot of people talk about how Dragonball changed genre of manga?
I am not even sure what this means, is it talking as far as the action [fighting scenes]?

Instead of being a light-hearted fantasy gag-manga, it quickly becomes serious and sci-fi. It's so serious that many people aren't even willing to consider Neko Majin Z as part of the same continuity.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue May 19, 2009 5:49 pm

You know, I've never been able to consider Dragon Ball to be a gag manga even in its earlier phases. I'd consider a gag manga to be more along the lines of Dr. Slump. The Pilaf arc is a lighthearted adventure, but it still takes itself too seriously to be considered an all-out comedy; its humor just isn't pervasive enough. I can see where people are coming from giving it that label for the first Dragon Ball hunt along with the 21st Budokai (Bulma's line in the General Blue arc about 'this being a gag anime' always struck me as being awkward - sorry, Bulma, but you're 20+ episodes too late for that), but it doesn't exactly fit like a glove.

But yeah, what Dayspring said. I also heard Kunzait say once that the series takes a shift to something more akin to 'seinen' during the Buu arc. Not sure what seinen means, but I do see a significant change during Buu. There seems to be more emphasis on the social aspect of the series and more mundane, ordinary things in general (A trait which continues to GT). It's not focused quite as intensely on the fighting or shounen elements as the Cell Saga was, to be certain. It's a lot more mellow and relaxed. I like it. The domesticated nature of late Z and GT is nice. I think the Saiyan arc is probably the most intense and turbulent portion of the series.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:You know, I've never been able to consider Dragon Ball to be a gag manga even in its earlier phases. I'd consider a gag manga to be more along the lines of Dr. Slump. The Pilaf arc is a lighthearted adventure, but it still takes itself too seriously to be considered an all-out comedy; its humor just isn't pervasive enough.
This may be why people can't accept NMZ. Toriyama uses two kinds of gag manga. Dr. Slump was of the category that is aware it's a gag manga, while DB is the other category. Meanwhile, NMZ is Dr. Slump's category.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 pm

In Neko Majin Z, Uub lives with the Son family and Goku doesn't abandon his wife, right? I more than accept Neko Majin Z if it removes the biggest strike against Goku's character. All hail Neko Majin!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:In Neko Majin Z, Uub lives with the Son family and Goku doesn't abandon his wife, right? I more than accept Neko Majin Z if it removes the biggest strike against Goku's character. All hail Neko Majin!
Not necessarily, but it implies it, yeah.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed May 20, 2009 12:00 am

Dr. Casey wrote:(Bulma's line in the General Blue arc about 'this being a gag anime' always struck me as being awkward - sorry, Bulma, but you're 20+ episodes too late for that)
Was that from when Blue's underlings were harrassing her? If so, then in the manga she just refers to the series as being in a shonen magazine.
But yeah, what Dayspring said. I also heard Kunzait say once that the series takes a shift to something more akin to 'seinen' during the Buu arc. Not sure what seinen means, but I do see a significant change during Buu.
Seinen means "young adult" in Japanese(in contrast with shounen/"boy") , and when used in reference to comics refers to comics for that age group. So Kunzait means that the series eventually turns into something seemingly aimed at an older audience (in his opinion). Though I'm pretty sure he says this change happens around the Freeza or Cell story arcs, not just around Boo.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Herms wrote:
Dr. Casey wrote:(Bulma's line in the General Blue arc about 'this being a gag anime' always struck me as being awkward - sorry, Bulma, but you're 20+ episodes too late for that)
Was that from when Blue's underlings were harrassing her? If so, then in the manga she just refers to the series as being in a shonen magazine.
But yeah, what Dayspring said. I also heard Kunzait say once that the series takes a shift to something more akin to 'seinen' during the Buu arc. Not sure what seinen means, but I do see a significant change during Buu.
Seinen means "young adult" in Japanese(in contrast with shounen/"boy") , and when used in reference to comics refers to comics for that age group. So Kunzait means that the series eventually turns into something seemingly aimed at an older audience (in his opinion). Though I'm pretty sure he says this change happens around the Freeza or Cell story arcs, not just around Boo.
While I consider the whole series shonen, if it did become seinen, wouldn't the Radditz arc be the starting point? Goku's dynamic has changed from goofy kid to goofy family man, while his friends are more mature.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Here's my take on it. It started off light-hearted and adventurous. But that soon changed. The first real dark moment of Dragon Ball, I think, was when the gang was trapped inside Pilaf's castle with their lives on the line and Goku told the story about his grandfather dying because of a big monster. But after that, all the way through the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament (or Tenkaichi Tournament), it was pretty non-serious. Then the Red Ribbon arc started. And it was still pretty much mild, up until the story about Bora, Upa, and Mercenary Tao. That's where I think the story took a dark twist. Then, all's well that ends well up until the King Piccolo arc. That was very dark actually. Krillin's murder, Goku's vengeful side, the entire backstory to King Piccolo. Then Piccolo Jr. was a little more light-hearted, but still had some dark tone to it. When the series continued with Z, it kicked off with the whole starting revelation that Goku was an alien, etc. The Saiyan arc was dark. Goku was killed, the world was at stake, etc. I'm not going to dive much deeper into it, but the Frieza arc was incredibly dark. And in some ways the series got even darker from there. Majin Buu was slightly more light-hearted than the two Sagas before it, BUT it did have that element of "everyone is dead".

Here's my thing, though. People criticize FUNimation for making Dragon Ball Z (and I stress Z because they made Dragon Ball as mystical and pure as possible, even leaving in the original music) look like a non-stop fighting action cartoon. Well...what is it? I mean, I know that the original doesn't have rock music playing, but it is a really violent cartoon. It's ALL about fighting. It's all about epicness and fighting and blood and massacre, and...you name it, that's what it is. So why are people trying to make it seem like it belongs in some other genre than action? That's what it is. There is no, "Hey! Let's explore and learn and make friends and interact!" in that series like there was in Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z only has, "Fate of so-and-so is at stake! We need to fight them! We need to be stronger than them! Let's kick their ass!"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed May 20, 2009 1:37 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Here's my thing, though. People criticize FUNimation for making Dragon Ball Z (and I stress Z because they made Dragon Ball as mystical and pure as possible, even leaving in the original music) look like a non-stop fighting action cartoon. Well...what is it? I mean, I know that the original doesn't have rock music playing, but it is a really violent cartoon. It's ALL about fighting. It's all about epicness and fighting and blood and massacre, and...you name it, that's what it is. So why are people trying to make it seem like it belongs in some other genre than action? That's what it is. There is no, "Hey! Let's explore and learn and make friends and interact!" in that series like there was in Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z only has, "Fate of so-and-so is at stake! We need to fight them! We need to be stronger than them! Let's kick their ass!"
While I disagree that Z is only martial arts (there's a shitload of fantasy and sci-fi), even if it were, wouldn't the fact that you consider the Z arcs to be comepletely different from DB show that the manga changed over time?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Well exactly. I never said it didn't. And I know there's sci-fi and fantasy in it, it is very heavily surrounded on fighting. And not even on martial arts.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I see the genre shift as an ever evolving author. You can see how the art style changes, I think that the story themes evolved over time as well.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Genre changing?

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu May 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Miracles wrote:I hear a lot of people talk about how Dragonball changed genre of manga?

Sorry, I can't really tell if you're asking how DB changed the shonen genre of manga or how DB changed genres within itself. Everyone seems to have the latter covered so I guess I'll say that even though I'm not deeply familiar with most shonen before DB, I think it was one of the first to blend humor and action the way it did and have such broad appeal beyond the target audience. It's style of characters and storytelling transformed the genre basically, it's the whole reason we have series like Naruto and One Piece today. Sorry if that's not what you're asking but that's what "genre changing" has referred to in certain discussions of DB I've seen.
In Neko Majin Z, Uub lives with the Son family and Goku doesn't abandon his wife, right? I more than accept Neko Majin Z if it removes the biggest strike against Goku's character. All hail Neko Majin!
I concur.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am

Dragon Ball is a light-hearted fantasy manga. It's not exactly a gag manga, but it's based on martial arts. I see the story however shifting to a darker tone around the Piccolo Daimao Saga, what with there being a new demon king getting his underlings to kill all the martial artists in the world and 4 main characters dying in the saga. It became a lot more serious at that point. The Tao Pai Pai part in the Red Ribbon Saga was subtly darker, but it's darkest point was definitely in the Piccolo Daimao Saga for me.

Dragon Ball Z is a mixture of martial arts, action, fantasy and sci-fi. Unlike in Dragon Ball where all the villains were from Earth (with the exception of Piccolo Daimao, who was assumed to be a demon), the Saiyans, Freeza & Majin Boo were intergalactic warriors from outer space. The Androids and Cell were incredibly powerful robots. You can see how the villains in Dragon Ball are different to the villains in Dragon Ball Z.

Also, the art style changes from Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z. The art style in Dragon Ball is relaxed and light-hearted. The art style shifts in Dragon Ball Z to being more defined and hard-lined.

But overall, Dragon Ball is basically an martial arts action manga, in both DB and DBZ.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat May 23, 2009 6:01 am

ssjcj wrote:I see the genre shift as an ever evolving author.
I think the tantô changes played a big part in that "shift".

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Well exactly. I never said it didn't. And I know there's sci-fi and fantasy in it, it is very heavily surrounded on fighting. And not even on martial arts.
I don't see real martial arts in Z, there is power & strength. The chorus in Spanish version of Chala Head Chala definates it well, Luz, Fuego, Destruction..... Blow, Fire, Destruction, no more martial arts trough Z, no more technical fights..... One reason why I really like Dragon Ball much more then Z.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:45 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun May 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:It delves into the sort of subject matter and a level of depravity in it's villains that your average shonen manga typically tends to go out of it’s way to either veer itself away from entirely, or at the very least not dwell upon for very much whenever possible; Toriyama manga all the more so (this was the same man who gave the world Dr. Slump, Cowa!, and Go! Go! Ackman, for Christ's sake).
What, the same Go! Go! Ackman series that stars a devil (who dresses like a Nazi on one of the title pages) who goes around killing humans so that he can feed their souls to the great demon king? Yeah, it's surprising that the author of that could also create depraved villians :P.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:20 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Herms wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:It delves into the sort of subject matter and a level of depravity in it's villains that your average shonen manga typically tends to go out of it’s way to either veer itself away from entirely, or at the very least not dwell upon for very much whenever possible; Toriyama manga all the more so (this was the same man who gave the world Dr. Slump, Cowa!, and Go! Go! Ackman, for Christ's sake).
What, the same Go! Go! Ackman series that stars a devil (who dresses like a Nazi on one of the title pages) who goes around killing humans so that he can feed their souls to the great demon king? Yeah, it's surprising that the author of that could also create depraved villians :P.
Alright, not the best example in the world, but you get the idea. I haven't cracked Ackman in a very, very, very, VERY long time, in case you couldn't tell. :P
Just to add fuel to the fire: Toriyama also wrote Lady Red and submitted art to Bitch's Life. :P