Kai Episode 8 (24 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 8 (24 May 2009)

Post by Vino » Sun May 24, 2009 8:00 am

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 8, aired 24 May 2009

いでよ神龍!サイヤ人ついに地球到着
Ide yo Shenron! Saiyajin Tsui ni Chikyuu Touchaku
Come Forth, Shen Long! The Saiya-jin Finally Arrive on Earth

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun May 24, 2009 8:35 am

Well the episode was really good for the most part, and the Saiyajins finally arrive on Earth. It's too bad that they didn't keep Nappa's brown armor to stay consistent with episode 3 like WF predicted, but oh well, lets hope they fix him in the DVDs.

I've noticed some inconsistent though, one minute Gohan is in his orange suit, and a minute later he is in his purple fighting suit, and that's the same in DBZ. Looks like they didn't bother to fix him I guess?

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 am

lol at you double posting. You never double posted in Narutoforums :lol:

Strange about Gohan's suit, could anyone shed anymore light on this? On the live stream, this looked like a really enjoyable episode, though I missed the preview, so I didn't get to see what happens next episode.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 am

Catterix2006 wrote:lol at you double posting. You never double posted in Narutoforums :lol:
Huh?

Narutoforums?
Last edited by Vino on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun May 24, 2009 9:26 am

This episode covered about 1 ¼ chapters, going over all of chapter 212 and the first four pages of 213. It seems to correspond more or less exactly to DBZ episode 21. Nothing seems to have been left out from the manga.

The episode starts with a bit of left-in filler where Goku once again catches Bubbles and hits Gregory with a hammer, only this time he is able to do these things almost instantly, due to his intense training. This sequence leads into the start of chapter 212, where Goku practices the Genki Dama.

The eye-catch comes 9 pages into the chapter, when we see that Kaio has placed his own personal symbol on the back of Goku’s new dougi.

After the eye-catch, there’s a filler scene of Gohan and Piccolo fighting. Gohan is wearing his orange dougi, the on that looks just like Goku’s.

During the scene where Goku is wished back to life, in the manga there’s a part where Gohan says that the sky has suddenly gone dark, while Piccolo thinks to himself that Goku must be returning to life, meaning the Saiya-jin are arriving sooner than they had expected. In Kai this is split up into two different short scenes, one for Gohan’s comment, and another for Piccolo’s thoughts. Incidentally, in these scenes Gohan is now wearing his purple dougi, the one that resembles Piccolo’s, while in the earlier filler scene he was shown wearing his orange one. He must have changed quick!

As Goku is about to depart from Kaio’s planet, in the manga Kaio warns him that he won’t be able to return to life a second time, while in Kai Gregory says this.

Chapter 212 ends as Vegeta and Nappa’s spaceships crash into East City at 11:43 AM, and chapter 213 begins with a man and woman wondering what just happened. So chapter 213 begins about 22 minutes into the episode.

There’s a scene with Goku running on the Snake Road, asking everyone on Earth to please hold on. This was moved from later in chapter 213, after Nappa destroys East City.

The episode ends with Vegeta and Nappa standing and looking around after getting out of their spaceships, but before they actually say anything. This is about 4 pages into chapter 213; it leaves out Vegeta and Nappa’s conversation on page 4 of 213, where Vegeta says that Earth is a decent planet.

Next episode

The next episode in called Yamucha funtou! Osorobeshi Saibaiman/”Yamcha’s Hard Struggle! The Terrifying Saibaimen”. The preview shows the Saibaiman wrapping around Yamcha and self-destructing, so it will cover the rest of 213, all of 214, and at least most of 215. It will be equivalent to Z episodes 22-23 (it’s title seems to be derived from that of Z 23: “Yamcha Dies! The Terrifying Saibaimen”).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I noticed the Gohan clothes thing, I thought it was lousy editing.

I wa hoping we got to see Nappa destroy the city, but oh well. Think we'll see cameras in their fight?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 24, 2009 1:57 pm

I've noticed some inconsistent though, one minute Gohan is in his orange suit, and a minute later he is in his purple fighting suit, and that's the same in DBZ. Looks like they didn't bother to fix him I guess?
Yea, there was also a part where a small area of Piccolo's head gear was painted the same color as his flash. But hey, it's animation, these things are bound to happen. :?

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Sun May 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Just curious, all of Lunch's filler scenes have been deleted in Kai right?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been thinking: on any future DVD or Blu-Ray release I wouldn't be surprised if Toei adds some bonus feature or game that revolves around finding all of the reanimated scenes in each episode. The reanimated scenes just seem so random that there must be more behind the thought process of choosing which scenes to reanimated than "let's make Kuririn look a little sharper in this scene". I'd understand if they were reanimating just the battle scenes, or the whole show, but when you though in randomly placed re-drawings, they must have something more planned for them.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun May 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Mosaic wrote:Just curious, all of Lunch's filler scenes have been deleted in Kai right?
Yes, they have. Yet she's still shown among the rest of the cast in the ending for some bizarre reason...

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Mosaic wrote:Just curious, all of Lunch's filler scenes have been deleted in Kai right?
Yes, they have. Yet she's still shown among the rest of the cast in the ending for some bizarre reason...
And it's not even blue haired Lunch :? She doesn't have any non-filler scenes doesn't she?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun May 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Bulma did still mention her in episode 1 didn't she?

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Bura wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
Bulma did still mention her in episode 1 didn't she?
Indeed, because that was in the manga. So just like in Toriyama's original story, Lunch vanishes with a mention.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Yay! A thread for episode 8!

*Kai's her response; that is, copy-pasting with some edits*

I think Ep #8 is easily my favorite episode so far. Everything felt right about it. X3 The thunderstorm-like noises made when they were summoning Shenlong were nice. Also, Goku pressing on Kaio-sama's back too hard and not realizing it made me laugh. XD

Curious; anyone else notice the calender in Kamesennin's bathroom reads "1989"? :3

I don't know why, but that brief moment before the pods landed where the little girl asked her dad what time it was kind of humanized the situation for me; I'm gonna feel bad when Nappa goes and blows everyone up. >_O

Also, enough time has passed where I'm no longer hearing TFS Nappa when I watch Kai; not quite sure what to make of that. I still grinned stupidly when they finished the episode by zooming in on Nappa though.

I love the artwork from the saiyajin arc; I almost kind of wish the rest of dbz looked like this; its got a more fluid feel to it. (Though I do like the Buu arc artwork too...)

I'm looking forward to the new eyecatchers. If the pattern holds true, we should get a new set next episode now that Goku's left Kaio-sama's.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am

Anyone notice any re-animated scenes? This is the only one I noticed...

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon May 25, 2009 10:54 am

Why is Goku running above the Serpent Road?

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon May 25, 2009 11:40 am

Anybody else notice the pool of blood coming from the red car just after the arrival of the Saiya-jin?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Anybody else notice the pool of blood coming from the red car just after the arrival of the Saiya-jin?
Uh, no but now that you mention it... wow. :shock:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon May 25, 2009 1:18 pm

It's okay, everyone but Goku is allowed to get hurt. This is TOEi we're talking about.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon May 25, 2009 4:05 pm

I think that's oil, not blood.