Kai Episode 9 (31 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun May 31, 2009 6:07 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Eh, I agree there's a point where you can easily go overboard, but I meant leaving things that can technically be translated into English like "Makankosappo" or "Masenko" or "Kikoho" but could also be left alone because they are nouns.
I think you mean proper nouns; nakama is a noun, but not a proper noun, while Kikoho is a proper noun since it's the name of a specific attack. I think it's ok to leave proper nouns left in Japanese if they'd be difficult or cumbersome to translate. Also, I think regular nouns should be left alone if they refer to things that don't have any actual equivalent in English (like bento), or if the Japanese word is already widely used in English (like sushi). But I think regular nouns that can be easily translated into English certainly should be (and despite what many say, nakama) falls squarely into this category).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 am

Bussani wrote: also hear that FUNi has stopped their plans for releasing One Piece online after someone leaked the first (?) episode. Or rather, they put it up on their server a day in advance, someone found it and uploaded it everywhere. Doi..
Really?! :shock: I wanted more official subbed episodes

But to be fair, FUNimation's online episodes are viewable only in America. What about the rest of the world who watchs the English fan-subs?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 31, 2009 6:43 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:What about the rest of the world who watchs the English fan-subs?
We're used to getting shafted by now.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:18 am

Bussani wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:What about the rest of the world who watchs the English fan-subs?
We're used to getting shafted by now.
You don't know how many times I have been excited by hearing about streaming of official subs (eg. One Piece, Digimon Adventure 02), only to see 'This Video Is Not Avaliable In Your Region'. :cry:

DongHyun
Beyond Newbie

Post by DongHyun » Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 am

Dragon Ball Kai Episode 9, New Eyecatches Download Please....

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 31, 2009 7:56 am

DongHyun wrote:Dragon Ball Kai Episode 9, New Eyecatches Download Please....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOxhZXxlRTQ

Not HQ.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun May 31, 2009 8:12 am

Bussani wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:For those who complains about the Fan-subs, there are two good fan-subbing groups have joined forces and released a better fan-subbed versions of Dragon Ball Kai.

Speaking of One Piece, FUNimation is now airing new episodes fresh from Toei after one hour of airing it in Japan, uncut, with subtitles. ((any idea if Steve works for One Piece?))

When will it be Kai's turn?
I think Mr Simmons was working on Fullmetal Alchemist, but not One Piece. But I could be mistaken.

I also hear that FUNi has stopped their plans for releasing One Piece online after someone leaked the first (?) episode. Or rather, they put it up on their server a day in advance, someone found it and uploaded it everywhere. Doi..
The subtitles for One Piece were done by a guy called Mato.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 am

Puto wrote:
Bussani wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:For those who complains about the Fan-subs, there are two good fan-subbing groups have joined forces and released a better fan-subbed versions of Dragon Ball Kai.

Speaking of One Piece, FUNimation is now airing new episodes fresh from Toei after one hour of airing it in Japan, uncut, with subtitles. ((any idea if Steve works for One Piece?))

When will it be Kai's turn?
I think Mr Simmons was working on Fullmetal Alchemist, but not One Piece. But I could be mistaken.

I also hear that FUNi has stopped their plans for releasing One Piece online after someone leaked the first (?) episode. Or rather, they put it up on their server a day in advance, someone found it and uploaded it everywhere. Doi..
The subtitles for One Piece were done by a guy called Mato.
Ah, that's right. Thanks Puto.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun May 31, 2009 8:42 am

A really let down, the music was really bad this episode and out of place and they really took out a lot of manga material..

I really hope they stop doing that..

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun May 31, 2009 8:49 am

Puto wrote:The subtitles for One Piece were done by a guy called Mato.
AKA Tomato, of the Mother/Earthbound fansite Starman.net fame. And I believe he's one and the same as Clyde Mandelin, the person who does the DB subtitles.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun May 31, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeppers, that's him. I like how he's managed to fit in at least one Earthbound reference to his translations without really changing the meaning. ie Kami's line of "the Earthbound humans".
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun May 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Quite good episode,but,bad editing. How did Chi-Chi appear of nowhere in Kame House? It look like she have flu there :lol:

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun May 31, 2009 2:19 pm

I really, really dislike the scene where Yamucha dies. Not just because of the drama that is going on but because that particular scene feels like the turning point where everyone else who's not a Saiya-jin gets useless and thrown in the background. Toriyama really did screw up on this one.

BTW, what do you guys think about Tenshinhans VA? I know I'll never get over Suzuoki Hirotaka but I think the current VA isn't doing bad on his own.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun May 31, 2009 3:37 pm

Herms wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Eh, I agree there's a point where you can easily go overboard, but I meant leaving things that can technically be translated into English like "Makankosappo" or "Masenko" or "Kikoho" but could also be left alone because they are nouns.
I think you mean proper nouns...
Bingo. Sorry about that, it felt like I was forgetting something. My personal preference, in all honesty, would be to leave proper nouns alone in the actual subtitle track but to have a secondary track (ala ADV's "AD Vid-notes") that gives the translations for the first time they appear.

-Corey

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Finally got to see it. Setback deterred. :3

The editing does feel choppy and in a few parts utterly bizarre (as it was mentioned a few posts above; Chi-Chi randomly lying on the ground with a towel on her forehead, anyone?).

The cut on Kuririn questioning Gohan seemed to be choppy as well; plus I can't believe that they cut that part out, yet kept the filler-ful video camera people (and partially, the part where Gohan's trying to "see" Yamcha's fight).

Also, this is only semi-related, but a few of those shots of Vegeta and Nappa before they leave East City STILL cause their TFS equivalents to pop into my head.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 pm

This frame really, really could have been reanimated better, and it doesn't help when you what the scene in motion and Vegeta's mouth looks like that of a ventriloquist’s puppet:

And was the little reflection of Piccolo in Nappa's scouter there in the original? It seems like quite a bit of detail to be included in something designed for a standard definiton TV broadcast:

And I thought it was strange that the exact same song was played during Yamcha's death and during Goku's death. Not to take anything away from Yamcha, but Goku is the main character...

And hereis the title for the next episode, in case anyone wants to take a crack at translating it. And I've never seen Kuririn's head look so shiny! :shock:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 31, 2009 9:54 pm

I KNEW there was something off with that scene! I re-watched it twice and it seemed really stiff in an uncanny valley sorta way.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 31, 2009 10:06 pm

And was the little reflection of Piccolo in Nappa's scouter there in the original? It seems like quite a bit of detail to be included in something designed for a standard definiton TV broadcast:
Yea, it was in DragonBall Z....

Also, Nappa's eye brow is still blue in Kai. I'am talking about the part of the eye brow that is not coverd by the blue glass of the scouter. But honestly, this shot is on screen for maybe a second and a half, no one would ever notice unless it's pointed out... like... right now... :?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Chuquita wrote:

I KNEW there was something off with that scene! I re-watched it twice and it seemed really stiff in an uncanny valley sorta way.
I felt something was up on that whole sequence (Nappa says hi) :? Was it all re-drawn?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 am

Rod wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
I felt something was up on that whole sequence (Nappa says hi) :? Was it all re-drawn?
Vegeta and Nappa destroying the city was: image image Then it's hard to tell if the scene with the blast is re-drawn or not, but I'd say no: image I'm pretty sure the Z Senshi feeling the blast was left as-was, but I'm not so sure about the light from the blast in the frame with Yamcha: image image image The view from space totally doesn't look re-drawn: image And then the quick panning over of the aftermath is re-drawn: image And then its just ugly Vegeta and Nappa: image And then its all original animation from for the rest of the scene.

And after looking at this frame again, I'd concluded that it looks like Nappa is pulling something out of his ass. :shock: