Kai Episode 9 (31 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 9 (31 May 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 30, 2009 8:33 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 9, aired 31 May 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Threas title says "8" instead of "9" :p

Did anyone else feel like they were constantly missing things throughout the episode? I mean, am I crazy, or did the TV people just show up randomly at the end? Were they shown earlier, and I just missed it?

Overall, I'm not too sure I liked this one. The ending was pretty good, at least...

I'll put up some detailed notes later, but this episode covered three chapters, 213-15. The next episode is "Wait, Chaozu! Tenshinhan's Screaming Kikoho" (I can't think of a better way to phrase that last part).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat May 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Psst. The topic name says Episode 8. :-P

I‘m assuming Tenshinhan will be dead next episode?

EDIT: Dammit, Herms!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat May 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Herms wrote:Did anyone else feel like they were constantly missing things throughout the episode? I mean, am I crazy, or did the TV people just show up randomly at the end? Were they shown earlier, and I just missed it?
Yeah, I don't remember seeing them earlier in the episode either. Regardless, I actually liked how that bit of filler was kept just to set up Yamcha's death scene and the guys at Kame House. Poor Puar :(.

There seemed to be a crapton of characters filled in this episode, but overall I actually liked this one. Best one in a while, dare I say. Oh yeah, and yay for new commercial bumpers!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Herms wrote:Threas title says "8" instead of "9" :p

Did anyone else feel like they were constantly missing things throughout the episode? I mean, am I crazy, or did the TV people just show up randomly at the end? Were they shown earlier, and I just missed it?

Overall, I'm not too sure I liked this one. The ending was pretty good, at least...

I'll put up some detailed notes later, but this episode covered three chapters, 213-15. The next episode is "Wait, Chaozu! Tenshinhan's Screaming Kikoho" (I can't think of a better way to phrase that last part).
Wow, I made the same mistake at Toon Zone (calling it #8 that is).

How about "Wait, Chaozu! Tenshinhan's Roaring Kikoho"
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat May 30, 2009 9:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:How about "Wait, Chaozu! Tenshinhan's Roaring Kikoho"
I think I like 'screaming' more than 'roaring' personally. Roaring lends itself to amusing mental images.

At least it's not "Tenshinhan's Raging Blast" ;p

*rimshot*

-Corey

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Still guessing Nappa will be down by episode 12, roughly.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2009 9:05 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:At least it's not "Tenshinhan's Raging Blast" ;p
That's probably what the fan-subbers will call it...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Herms wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:At least it's not "Tenshinhan's Raging Blast" ;p
That's probably what the fan-subbers will call it...
Because Japanese in my DragonBall is the devil's work.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2009 10:00 pm

The episode starts on the fourth page of chapter 213, with Vegeta saying that Earth is a decent planet.

In the manga, right after Vegeta leave to find the person who killed Raditz, it shows Nappa commenting on Earth’s light gravity, and then Yamcha and the others’ reaction as they sense that the Saiya-jin have begun to move. After this it goes to the scene at Kame House where Kame-sennin tells Bulma and the rest that there’s no point in them going to help, since they’d just get in the way, and then we see Goku running down the Snake Road, telling everyone on Earth to hold on. In Kai, the order of events is mixed around, so that the Kame House and Goku scenes are shown before the scenes with Nappa’s comment and the Earthling fighters’ reactions.

In the manga, there’s a bit of narration before Vegeta and Nappa reach Piccolo, where it says that the birds and other animals begin leaving the area, having sensed an odd aura. This narration isn’t in Kai.

In the manga, after Piccolo asks Krillin if he came to get in their way, Krillin retorts that he’s gotten a lot better, which gets left out in Kai.

When Gohan tells Krillin that his father had told him how Krillin was small but strong, in the manga Krillin complains about how unnecessary it was for Goku to add the “small” part on there, and that he thinks he’s gotten a little bigger. In Kai Krillin just says something like “Goku said that, huh?”.

Krillin asking Gohan how his training with Piccolo was is left out in Kai.

In the manga, when Vegeta and Nappa appear, Krillin’s line about sensing their stupendous ki is left out. They really took out a lot of Krillin lines in this episode, for whatever reason.

Chapter 214 begins about 10 minutes into the episode.

When the scene switches to Kami after Vegeta explains about Namekians, the establishing shot of Kami’s temple has been left out.

The scene where Nappa reads Piccolo and the other’s (suppressed) battle powers and laughs at them has been left out. Instead, it just goes straight to Vegeta telling Nappa to remove his scouter, since the Earthlings can just alter their battle powers at will.

Piccolo’s shocked reaction to Nappa referring to Raditz as a “weakling” is removed.

In the manga, Tenshinhan and Chaozu arrive before the Saibaimen do much of anything. In Kai though, there’s a leftover filler scene from Z where the Saibaimen jump around smashing things and screaming, and even try to attack Piccolo and the others. The eyecatcher comes right after this fillers.

After the eye-catch, there’s a bit more of filler with the Saibaimen screwing around before Tenshinhan and Chaozu arrive.

In Kai, Tenshinhan asks where Goku is right after he lands. Yamcha does this too.

Chapter 215 begins at about 18 minutes into the episode.

Chaozu warning Tenshinhan that the Saibaiman has gotten up again is left out. Also, when Vegeta kills this Saibaiman, his explanation that the Saibaiman couldn't possibly win is also removed.

Before Yamcha begins fighting the Saibaiman, there’s a filler scene showing Goku running down Snake Road.

During Yamcha’s fight, there’s some bits of added dialogue between Gohan and Piccolo, as Gohan gradually gets the hang of seeing Yamcha and the Saibaiman’s fast movements by sensing their ki.

When the Saibaiman self-destructs to kill Yamcha, there’s some left-in filler showing a TV crew filming the battle, and Puar and Bulma’s reaction to seeing Yamcha’s death on TV. This bit is rather odd because all the previous filler showing the TV crew had been left out of Kai, so their sudden appearance now is kind of awkward.

This episode ends at essentially the end of chapter 215, as Krillin prepares to fire his attack to avenge Yamcha.

Next episode

The next episode is called “Wait, Chaozu!! Tenshinhan’s Screaming Kikoho”. The next episode preview shows Chaozu’s suicide attack and Tenshinhan firing the Kikoho, so it will cover at least chapters 216-218, another three chapters.
JulieYBM wrote:Because Japanese in my DragonBall is the devil's work.
Huh?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Herms wrote:
Huh?
I think he's laughing about how people (and even official releases in the past) have eliminated Japanese terms in favor of more generic terms (i.e. - Kikoho becomes 'Tri-beam', Masenko becomes 'power blast' or whatever, etc.).

After all, Japanese is some evil stuff.

-Corey

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Man, sounds like Kai has some really lousy fan-subs. Or are all fan-subs just like that? Although it seems One Piece fan-subs have the opposite approach, where they try to leave as many of the words in Japanese as physically possible.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 30, 2009 11:33 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Herms wrote:
Huh?
I think he's laughing about how people (and even official releases in the past) have eliminated Japanese terms in favor of more generic terms (i.e. - Kikoho becomes 'Tri-beam', Masenko becomes 'power blast' or whatever, etc.).

After all, Japanese is some evil stuff.

-Corey
Yes, thank you. :D

I should o' used a smiley...
She/Her
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat May 30, 2009 11:35 pm

Herms wrote:Man, sounds like Kai has some really lousy fan-subs. Or are all fan-subs just like that? Although it seems One Piece fan-subs have the opposite approach, where they try to leave as many of the words in Japanese as physically possible.
I actually haven't watched any Kai fansubs, I think I have most of the dialogue from these episodes memorized. I was referring to FUNimation's dubs personally though.

As for other fansubs, I know many groups have actually shown a decent aptitude for translating, including leaving nouns untouched.

-Corey

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun May 31, 2009 1:18 am

The cropping in today's episode was really, really distracting.

When Yamcha died in today's episode (OMG SPOILER!!!1!1!), they played that really great song that they played when Goku died back in Episode 003. However, as much as I like that song, I hope Kai doesn't overuse it. We've got a few more deaths to go in the next few episodes, and I think the "special-ness" that that particular piece of music has at the moment will be lost if we start to hear it week after week.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:As for other fansubs, I know many groups have actually shown a decent aptitude for translating, including leaving nouns untouched.
See, I'm not so fond of that. I think that leaving a few things here and there untranslated is fine, but there is a point where it starts to get excessive. In the days before FUNi got ahold of One Piece, for example, I found it really hard to introduce potential fans to the Japanese version of the series because the fansubs just left in perfectly translatable terms like "nakama" and "yosh." To the non-fan who already has his or her defenses up because of the premise or the art style or whatever, having to then go and learn a bunch of terms in addition to all that was too much of a pain.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 31, 2009 1:32 am

Ugh; sounds like some horribly choppy editing this episode around.
That really stinks; especially when its coming on the heels of the amazingly awesome (imo) episode 8.

I haven't gotten to see it yet (I'm having some issues here >_O ) but once I do I'll be back w/opinions on it.

That's really awful about so many of Kuririn's lines being cut. I really don't like it when they cut stuff that was in the manga. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun May 31, 2009 1:36 am

Looks like the admin made this thread on time ne? :P

Ugh, according to Herms, looks like they cut a lot of material again....I dunnow why but it really bothers me that they keep certain filler scenes, but cut actual material from the manga!

I'll have to watch the episode myself, but I don't like it from this point.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun May 31, 2009 1:51 am

Dogasu wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:As for other fansubs, I know many groups have actually shown a decent aptitude for translating, including leaving nouns untouched.
See, I'm not so fond of that. I think that leaving a few things here and there untranslated is fine, but there is a point where it starts to get excessive. In the days before FUNi got ahold of One Piece, for example, I found it really hard to introduce potential fans to the Japanese version of the series because the fansubs just left in perfectly translatable terms like "nakama" and "yosh." To the non-fan who already has his or her defenses up because of the premise or the art style or whatever, having to then go and learn a bunch of terms in addition to all that was too much of a pain.
Eh, I agree there's a point where you can easily go overboard, but I meant leaving things that can technically be translated into English like "Makankosappo" or "Masenko" or "Kikoho" but could also be left alone because they are nouns. Some fansub groups, and even official releases, will go in exactly the opposite direction of what you're talking about and try to ignore that some shows have distinctly Asian elements by translating everything into English.

Truth is, though, everyone has different tastes. Plus, some stuff (like Naruto's signature "dattebayo," which I know of despite never having seen the show) literally has no direct translation. It's practically a no-win situation ;p

-Corey

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:10 am

For those who complains about the Fan-subs, there are two good fan-subbing groups have joined forces and released a better fan-subbed versions of Dragon Ball Kai.

Speaking of One Piece, FUNimation is now airing new episodes fresh from Toei after one hour of airing it in Japan, uncut, with subtitles. ((any idea if Steve works for One Piece?))

When will it be Kai's turn?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 31, 2009 5:37 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:For those who complains about the Fan-subs, there are two good fan-subbing groups have joined forces and released a better fan-subbed versions of Dragon Ball Kai.

Speaking of One Piece, FUNimation is now airing new episodes fresh from Toei after one hour of airing it in Japan, uncut, with subtitles. ((any idea if Steve works for One Piece?))

When will it be Kai's turn?
I think Mr Simmons was working on Fullmetal Alchemist, but not One Piece. But I could be mistaken.

I also hear that FUNi has stopped their plans for releasing One Piece online after someone leaked the first (?) episode. Or rather, they put it up on their server a day in advance, someone found it and uploaded it everywhere. Doi..