Kai Episode 13 (27 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Man, that trumpet piece that played after Vegeta killed Nappa instantly reminded me of the theme to The Godfather. Classic.
...Damn you beat me to it. I thought the same thing when I heard the trumpet too. It felt so perfect!

btw, if anyone is interested I took out the time watermark in both images posted. These should make better desktops if you guys want them.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5507/g ... etakai.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3367/kaidesktop.jpg :D
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 am

For anyone that's interested, we have our review up on Kanzentai for the thirteenth episode of DragonBall Kai. I hope everyone enjoys it!

DBK Episode 013, "This is the Kaio-ken!! A Battle to the Limit: Goku vs Vegeta"

Credits:
Manga Comparison: Herms
Original Broadcast Comparison: Hujio
Music/Voice Performance Comparison: DBW
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:11 am

EDIT: Ignore this. >.>
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 am

Hujio wrote:For anyone that's interested, we have our review up on Kanzentai for the thirteenth episode of DragonBall Kai. I hope everyone enjoys it!

DBK Episode 013, "This is the Kaio-ken!! A Battle to the Limit: Goku vs Vegeta"

Credits:
Manga Comparison: Herms
Original Broadcast Comparison: Hujio
Music/Voice Performance Comparison: DBW
Oh I've been waiting for this, thanks. Excellent job as always, though I was wondering why you didn't include next episode's new shots like you did with episode 9 review. Are you sure that none of Vegeta's powering up scenes were reanimated? I think him going to release his power is new as well, since I can tell by the new wind effect.
Last edited by Vino on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:29 am

I was just reading Kanzentai's reviews (awesome BTW) I noticed that the widescreen footage has a little bit more image at the sides eve thought it's cropped, how come?

I still can't believe it took me this long to notice

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

I really like more Kaioken color in Kai than in the original. But am I the only one to think Kai animation is far inferior than the original? Just take a look at Kanzentai's comparisons between the two and look how awful Kai screenshots are.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:I really like more Kaioken color in Kai than in the original. But am I the only one to think Kai animation is far inferior than the original? Just take a look at Kanzentai's comparisons between the two and look how awful Kai screenshots are.
Its not the animation, its the art, they retrace the same frame and color it, making it standout than the other scenes. I actually think that some of the frames in the latest Kai episode are pretty good, and next episode scenes look good too.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Rod wrote:I was just reading Kanzentai's reviews (awesome BTW) I noticed that the widescreen footage has a little bit more image at the sides eve thought it's cropped, how come?

I still can't believe it took me this long to notice
I think the extra part of the image on the sides has always been there. So when they decided to crop it to widescreen, bringing in that part of the image meant they didn't have to take away from the top and bottom quite as much as they would have. I don't know why that part was there to begin with, though. I could be wrong, that's just what I've read about it.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:EDIT: Ignore this. >.>
OK. Why?
Vino wrote:Excellent job as always, though I was wondering why you didn't include next episode's new shots like you did with episode 9 review.
I included those in episode 9 because that was the first time we saw any re-animated footage in the next episode preview and the majority of it was re-animated. This time there were only a few, and they'll all be included in the next episode, so I figured they'd be covered then.
Vino wrote:Are you sure that none of Vegeta's powering up scenes were reanimated? I think him going to release his power is new as well, since I can tell by the new wind effect.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, because I included a shot from Vegeta's power up scene and even discussed the new wind effects. You must have missed it.
Kanzentai wrote:Part of the scene where Vegeta powers up and wind whips toward Goku has been re-animated. Interestingly, the wind has been faded and is much more transparent in DragonBall Kai.
Jordan wrote:
Rod wrote:I was just reading Kanzentai's reviews (awesome BTW) I noticed that the widescreen footage has a little bit more image at the sides eve thought it's cropped, how come?
I think the extra part of the image on the sides has always been there. So when they decided to crop it to widescreen, bringing in that part of the image meant they didn't have to take away from the top and bottom quite as much as they would have. I don't know why that part was there to begin with, though. I could be wrong, that's just what I've read about it.
Yes, it's always been there. Episodes were not photographed in a true 4:3 aspect ratio, but a little wider. This was done to ensure that things wouldn't show up on screen that weren't supposed to be there, such as the edge of the cel paint. Here's an example from our "Animation Process" page on Kanzentai which will hopefully help clear things up a little.

Here's what the various boxes represent:
Red box - Represents the amount of image that was originally photographed onto 16mm film; this is the original archival footage.
Orange box - Represents the master copy that is made from the 16mm film, which is re-framed to capture a smaller amount of image. This is what you'd see on TV.
Yellow box - Represents the new telecine master used for DVD releases, like the Dragon Boxes.

For DragonBall Kai, like they did for the Dragon Boxes, they went back and used the original 16mm film (red box) as their source material. You'll notice that it's much wider than what was originally seen on TV or even on the Dragon Boxes. By using this source they can make it wider and reduce the amount of material cropped from the top and bottom. Although FUNimation didn't have access to the original 16mm film, they basically did the same thing with their widescreen season sets.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 pm

It's that over scan thing right? I've heard about that, but never really understood. Thanks Hujio

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Hujio wrote: I'm not sure what you're talking about, because I included a shot from Vegeta's power up scene and even discussed the new wind effects. You must have missed it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Rod wrote:It's that over scan thing right? I've heard about that, but never really understood. Thanks Hujio
Eh... not really. In terms of explanations from FUNimation's camp, that was an out-and-out nonsensical justification, akin to saying that you never fully enjoyed a hamburger because you were eating it on a hot-dog bun because FUNimation never had an opportunity to give it to you on a hamburger bun before but here why don't you try eating it on a bagel?

Stuff that would have been outside the safe zone BUT STILL BROADCAST still wouldn't have had any of the outside "errors" (not an accurate description, but whatever) like the edges of the incomplete painting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Rod wrote:It's that over scan thing right? I've heard about that, but never really understood. Thanks Hujio
Yeah, this isn't footage hidden by overscanning from TVs. This is footage that was never actually included on the original master or DVD telecines.

@Vino: Sorry my friend, but those are not re-animated or redrawn.
Last edited by Hujio on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Are you sure? I double checked, and the wind effect + the sky are a tad different..

I might be wrong though.. :P

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:08 pm

Hujio wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:EDIT: Ignore this. >.>
OK. Why?
I accidentally put it in the Episode 13 thread when it was meant for the Episode 12 thread.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Vino wrote:Are you sure? I double checked, and the wind effect + the sky are a tad different..

Yes, because comparing 2 different frames, from 2 different bootlegs is the single most accurate way to say if it's the same or not.

Thumbs up to you sir, for clearing up Hujio's mistake.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:35 pm

godofchaos wrote:
Vino wrote:Are you sure? I double checked, and the wind effect + the sky are a tad different..

Yes, because comparing 2 different frames, from 2 different bootlegs is the single most accurate way to say if it's the same or not.

Thumbs up to you sir, for clearing up Hujio's mistake.
Quit being a smartass, I wanted to clarify visually, who cares from where I took it.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Vino wrote:
Quit being a smartass, I wanted to clarify visually, who cares from where I took it.
I'm not being a smartass, you showed him good.

Comparing a bootleg of DVD masters made nearly a decade ago and completely unremastered to more modern ones and pointing out how you double checked and that it's clearly redrawn. Your insight amazes me.

Thank you sir, thank you. We need more people like you to take Hujio down a peg. Arguing it's not redrawn because it looks like it might be the same thing.

Damn you Hujio, damn you and your villiany!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:44 pm

godofchaos wrote:
Vino wrote:
I'm not being a smartass, you showed him good.

Comparing a bootleg of DVD masters made nearly a decade ago and completely unremastered to more modern ones and pointing out how you double checked and that it's clearly redrawn. Your insight amazes me.

Thank you sir, thank you. We need more people like you to take Hujio down a peg. Arguing it's not redrawn because it looks like it might be the same thing.

Damn you Hujio, damn you and your villiany!
Haha oh wow.

Yeah, clearly DBKai quality is so different to the older one made a decade ago that its even stupid to compare them!

Silly me, how I didn't not see that!

Sure mate, whatever helps you sleep at night :wink:
Last edited by Vino on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Well, in this case, you're wrong. The only part of Vegeta's entire power up scene that was re-animated was the one I noted. Everything else was just remastered, which as we've seen for 13 episodes now, changed the colors. The only difference in the wind between these two shots is that it has been slightly blurred together in DragonBall Kai. Just compare it to a scene that was actually re-animated. The difference in clarity is quite clear, I think. Compare the wind in all four screen shots and tell me which one looks new and updated. Also compare the aura around Vegeta... which one looks new and updated? Maybe certain things like that just stand out visually more to me than other people, but these are the things I use to judge whether something has been re-animated or not.

And by the way, source material does matter in these cases.