Kai Episode 14 (05 July 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:24 pm

I switched the Audio of Kai with Z, damn that was hard to sync all of the voices :x

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).

You can compare the colors of the sky to these Dragon Box screenshots taken by DBW:
I thought kei17 had concluded, beyond a doubt, that those colors were all wrong though, and that the DragonBox masters had deteriorated. *cough*

I know, I'm a bastard. Still, the point remains...

-Corey
Well, uh...he's right.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).

You can compare the colors of the sky to these Dragon Box screenshots taken by DBW:
I thought kei17 had concluded, beyond a doubt, that those colors were all wrong though, and that the DragonBox masters had deteriorated. *cough*

-Corey
Well, uh...he's right.
I'm right or kei17 is right? Just saying, if it's wrong colors and they're recoloring everything, it's odd that they'd stick with the wrong colors instead of refreshing them like everything else.

-Corey

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:44 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: I thought kei17 had concluded, beyond a doubt, that those colors were all wrong though, and that the DragonBox masters had deteriorated. *cough*

-Corey
Well, uh...he's right.
I'm right or kei17 is right? Just saying, if it's wrong colors and they're recoloring everything, it's odd that they'd stick with the wrong colors instead of refreshing them like everything else.

-Corey
Kei17. And since the Dragon Box source is all they have, they just use that.

Although I'm probably misinterpreting what you're saying :?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Loved the episode, but I'm afraid I had the distinct impression throughout that Vegeta needed very badly to clear his throat.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:02 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:I'm right or kei17 is right? Just saying, if it's wrong colors and they're recoloring everything, it's odd that they'd stick with the wrong colors instead of refreshing them like everything else.

-Corey
Kei17. And since the Dragon Box source is all they have, they just use that.

Although I'm probably misinterpreting what you're saying :?
Emphasis added.

-Corey

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Here are my full thoughts on the episode:

-There was an aweful lot of short (one panel) manga moments of Yajirobe cut.

-I thought that was terrible music choice for the Gyallic Ho/Kamehameha battle! Not only has the song been used to death already (the piece used in Z had only been used three times previously, with the most recent being Dragonball ep 151), but it captures NONE of the dramatic element from the scene, only the "intense action" element. There was no drama behind it, and it just felt like a generic super attack, not a defining point in the arc.

-Side Note: I never noticed how so many of the angles in the anime are flopped versions of the exact same frames in the manga. o.O

-I hope they re-animated some of the scenes (or will re-animate) with the two-toned sky (color-wise), so that we can get some nice Dragon Box comparisons (I watched the episode on my Zune, so I couldn't really tell).

-I thought Kaio-sama's voice of the Godfather-esque BGM during Vegeta's Energy Ball scene was so nice. Reminded me of something...

:?: Was the scene of Gohan and Kuririn looking back and deciding to go back to help Goku and spliced up in Z like it was in Kai?

-Side Note: At least the last two episodes have ended in the middle of manga chapters.

-The next episode preview showed at least two chapters into the future.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:27 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:And since the Dragon Box source is all they have, they just use that.
If they are redoing it all, they are not limited to anything... no? They could have re-colored it purple or red... but they didn't. They chose to make it the green-ish sky. Why do that if its wrong?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 am

ect5150 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:And since the Dragon Box source is all they have, they just use that.
If they are redoing it all, they are not limited to anything... no? They could have re-colored it purple or red... but they didn't. They chose to make it the green-ish sky. Why do that if its wrong?
THIS IS KAI NOT Z DONTYOUFORGETIT!!!

Yeah, pretty much... :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Finally found some time to watch the episode. It was pretty good.

I still like Vegeta's voice, it is different, but I still like it.

The music was in the Kamehameha scene was ok, I never really listen to music on movies. But it has been used too much.

What's the correct translation for Vegeta's attack? Garlic or Galick?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Rod wrote: What's the correct translation for Vegeta's attack? Garlic or Galick?
Garlic is written "gaarikku" in katakana, Vegeta's attack is written "gyarikku". The most proper way of writing it would thus be "Gyalic".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Reminded me of something...
Internet...won. :lol:

That's awesome, Julian does a pretty good Brando. :D

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 am

I must say watching DBZ for these episodes is ten times better than whatching Kai, especially with the weak VA and music performances in Kai... Plus the stupid censoring, of course.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:41 am

sangofe wrote:I must say watching DBZ for these episodes is ten times better than whatching Kai, especially with the weak VA and music performances in Kai... Plus the stupid censoring, of course.
You mean the lack-of- blinking? That's a Godsend for me.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 am

Vino wrote:I switched the Audio of Kai with Z, damn that was hard to sync all of the voices :x
You want to maybe upload some clips of that concoction of yours to YouTube or something? :D

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 am

Kendamu wrote:
sangofe wrote:I must say watching DBZ for these episodes is ten times better than whatching Kai, especially with the weak VA and music performances in Kai... Plus the stupid censoring, of course.
You mean the lack-of- blinking? That's a Godsend for me.
That had to be changed anyway, because of the Pokemon incident. TV standards change, people!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Vino wrote:I switched the Audio of Kai with Z, damn that was hard to sync all of the voices :x
You want to maybe upload some clips of that concoction of yours to YouTube or something? :D
I did..the Kamehameha scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiJDZMwkrE

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am

The image on top is from episode 13. The bottom image is from the recap of episode 14.
Does it imply that the blu-ray/DVD edition will keep the original frames without redrawing them and that they redrew them only to avoid the Pokemon syndrome while airing it on TV? :P

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 am

I don't follow.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm

biohazard wrote:The image on top is from episode 13. The bottom image is from the recap of episode 14.
Does it imply that the Blu-ray/DVD edition will keep the original frames without redrawing them and that they redrew them only to avoid the Pokemon syndrome while airing it on TV? :P

[snipped image]
That's an interesting find, but I don't think it tells us anything definitive. Though I'll admit it has been odd seeing re-animated footage in the next episode preview but never in the episode recaps. They've also been switching back and forth between somewhat recycling recap material and completely redoing the recap, although I think that has more to do with how many original episodes of DragonBall Z they covered. I think this is just another one of those things that didn't get caught before the episode aired.

And as far as some of your logic is concerned, I have to agree with Chibi Mystic Gohan, I don't follow. How would it imply that the re-animated material was only for the TV broadcast because of the "Pokémon syndrome"? The recap itself shows the unaltered version of this scene, so wouldn't that logically contradict that statement? If they were trying to avoid the "Pokémon syndrome", why would they show the scene that could possibly cause "Pokémon syndrome" in the recap but show it re-animated in the previous episode?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::