Kai Episode 17 (02 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Just in case someone is curious of what Dragon Ball Kai dub would look like.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6T937jC ... re=related
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Man I really hope they drew those first re-animated scenes bad on purpose to bump up the DVD/Blu-ray sales later with better animation.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Man I really hope they drew those first re-animated scenes bad on purpose to bump up the DVD/Blu-ray sales later with better animation.
Wait, do you mean use different re-animations on the DVD-Blu-ray releases? Either way, why would they intentionally do bad in the beginning?

And they didn't really re-animate it poorly, they just traced the original, opting not to re-draw it.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm

Question for Wasted Wisher, are they going to use the same music that played in SSJ2 Gohan transformation? I know its still early, but I was curious since they used a song in a scene.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Vino wrote:Question for Wasted Wisher, are they going to use the same music that played in SSJ2 Gohan transformation? I know its still early, but I was curious since they used a song in a scene.
I personally highly doubt it, but I trust that Yamamoto-sama will come up with something very good.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:35 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: And they didn't really re-animate it poorly, they just traced the original, opting not to re-draw it.
Every single instance of a "re-animated" scene has looked considerably worse than the original, from the colours to the linework, it's all been pretty awful.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: Yamamoto-sama
OH SUPA SAIYAJIN RAMBOARU SAMA KUN DESU DESU KAWAII!!111

(Seriously when did we start using Japanese honorifics in our everyday English?)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:OH SUPA SAIYAJIN RAMBOARU SAMA KUN DESU DESU KAWAII!!111
Oh my god, I just bursted out laughing upon reading this. XD

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 pm

Tweaker wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:OH SUPA SAIYAJIN RAMBOARU SAMA KUN DESU DESU KAWAII!!111
Oh my god, I just bursted out laughing upon reading this. XD
Pfft, not nearly enough desu.

But yeah, I suspect that Unmei no Hi will probably be replaced. Though, it's far, far too early to really touch on the issue.

Personally? I'd hate to see it go, but I believe they can come up with a decent replacement. I'm more surprised and curious about the replacement of Dadoria, Zabon and Kui's actors... A little excited too!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Can someone help me, I can never seem to catch the poorly redrawn scenes. I dont have anything to compare it too and I never notice them.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:44 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Can someone help me, I can never seem to catch the poorly redrawn scenes. I dont have anything to compare it too and I never notice them.
Actually the newer redrawn scenes look much, much better than the first ones.

To notice if they are redrawn, look at the lines, the new ones are smoother, while the other ones are sort of 'broken' and the colors are slightly different
Last edited by Rod on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Can someone help me, I can never seem to catch the poorly redrawn scenes. I dont have anything to compare it too and I never notice them.

Those are some decent examples. Luckily, the redrawn art has been getting better, as Rod says.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:And they didn't really re-animate it poorly, they just traced the original, opting not to re-draw it.
Every single instance of a "re-animated" scene has looked considerably worse than the original, from the colours to the linework, it's all been pretty awful.
Yeah, bringing them out in higher resolution definitely does make the flaws and ugliness more noticeable. But they do seem to be making an effort on touching up what they're working with when they do re-animate scenes... at least this time. They removed Nappa's blood lipstick and they gave him visible eyeballs. I'm not saying it looks all that much better than the original, but I definitely don't think it looks all that much worse (definitely not "considerably worse"). Just my opinion.

Image Image

I just think it's quite an extreme stretch and a lot of personal opinion to say that "every single instance of a "re-animated" scene has looked considerably worse than the original".
Yeah, the comparisons KaiserNeko posted are from Kanzentai, and are probably the best ones you'll find.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 am

NeptuneKai wrote:(Seriously when did we start using Japanese honorifics in our everyday English?)
C'est la vie.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 am

Herms wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:(Seriously when did we start using Japanese honorifics in our everyday English?)
C'est la vie.
I don't know anybody who says that, and I'm guessing the people who do are overly pretentious.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: I just think it's quite an extreme stretch and a lot of personal opinion to say that "every single instance of a "re-animated" scene has looked considerably worse than the original".
Clearly you didn't notice that Nappa's moustache has disappeared, the different shape of both Vegeta and Nappa's heads, the missing detail in Nappa's "gauntlets" and the incorrectly filled space between his arm and his torso...

I'm not saying all of these things are of huge consequence, they all just add up to make the re-drawn frames look worse than the originals, and considerably so. And not to be mean, but we've had this discussion in previous threads where you were unable to discern the "re-animated" material from the older material, despite the difference in colour and clarity making it extremely obvious.

But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: Either way, why would they intentionally do bad in the beginning?
It seems to happen lately to ( like I implied ) try and sell the DVD's and Blu-ray's. Either this or they'll get rid of the censoring. But we'll know for sure in about 1.5 months.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: And they didn't really re-animate it poorly, they just traced the original, opting not to re-draw it.
Episode 16 had a lot of great remade material, sure some of them were standing out, but overall the quality was much better than the original.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 am

Honest to God, I couldn't tell what is old anymore. It all looks reanimated to me. Espicially stuff in the next episode preview for next week! :shock:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Is there an article or something that states why they didn't actually go ahead and redraw(from scratch) the series similar to the style of the opening and closing credits? I really would have liked that.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?