Kai Episode 20 (23 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 20 (23 August 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 20, aired 23 August 2009

フリーザへの反逆!野望に燃えるベジータ
Furīza e no Hangyaku! Yabō ni Moeru Bejīta
Rebellion Against Freeza! Vegeta, Burning With Ambition

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Only came in half way (again), but I enjoyed the Dragon Soul instrumental.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm

This episode covered all of DBZ episode 045 and the first half of 046, ending at the eyecatch (aka: eyecatcher, eyecatchey, eyecatcha-ma-bob, or eyekatcherz). As far as the manga is concerned, it covered the last page of chapter 247 and all of 248 through 250.

Here's the preview for DBK Episode 021, entitled "Protect the Dragonballs! The Namekian Offensive".

Later, cool kids! (That's right, I'm bringin' it back.)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Hujio wrote: (That's right, I'm bringin' it back.)
I so wish this meant what I think it does...but I doubt it

I missed it (freaking adicting ace attorney games)

Were the re drawn scenes good or bad? and was there any filler left in?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:26 pm

Finally got to see it! :3

-That first shot of Freeza makes me wince a bit because one eye is hugely out of proportion; but its not as bad as that one shot of Piccolo's eyes in the first episode of Z and Kai.
-Was Zarbon's original seiyuu this deep-voiced? o_O
-LOL at Kuririn's "Nice, nice!" XD
-I wonder how many times I'm going to hear "sento ryoku" in the next 15 minutes. o_O
-Dodoria's voice seems to fit. Makes him sound older than he looks, but other than that its fine.
-Might I say how nice the ki blasts look this ep. :3
-LOL, Vegeta inner-monologue time. I forgot how amusing these were. Even more so the ones where he just talks outloud to himself.
-The doctor and nurse's reaction to Kamesennin telling Goku about the goings on. XD
-They stuck the OP instrumental in a good spot; I could see Head-Cha-La there as well.
-Looks like we might get to Dende and Cargo in the next episode. Fun stuff. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 pm

At the beginning of the episode, it says something about July 2011. Anyone who knows Japanese mind filling us in?

EDIT: Never mind, I just found out. I forgot Japan was still broadcasting in analog....
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Alright, while I've mostly been disinterested in Kai up until now because of the censoring here and there and the cutting of manga material, as well as the somewhat questionable music replacement, I find myself far more enjoying these last few episodes. Things are moving quicker, but they feel far better handled.

Looking forward to the next episode! Of course, this may be where things get really violent, depending on how much the episode covers. As well, anyone notice all the re-drawn scenes in the preview?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:EDIT: Never mind, I just found out. I forgot Japan was still broadcasting in analog....
I hate living in Mexico..our last analog transmission will stop broadcasting in 2020 with digital transmisions starting extremley slowly around this time

KaiserNeko wrote:Things are moving quicker, but they feel far better handled
I think they've finally gotten the hang of re drawing editing and stuff. But they should have started like that

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Alright, while I've mostly been disinterested in Kai up until now because of the censoring here and there and the cutting of manga material, as well as the somewhat questionable music replacement, I find myself far more enjoying these last few episodes. Things are moving quicker, but they feel far better handled.
I know the reason I'm enjoying it more is because this is a part of the show I haven't seen in a while, even if it's been altered through Kai.

I also enjoy some of the music, like the insert song from the last episode and that recurring orchestral piece that played at the end of this episode before the credits.
Rod wrote:
Shiyonasan wrote:EDIT: Never mind, I just found out. I forgot Japan was still broadcasting in analog....
I hate living in Mexico..our last analog transmission will stop broadcasting in 2020 with digital transmisions starting extremley slowly around this time
Wow, that's a while from now! But it is Mexico, so I can understand. (No offense. I have actually been to Mexico once, so I know what it's like.)

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 am

I was worried about Zarbon's new seiyuu but all my fears have gone away. The new Seiyuu has captured his bishonen voice very well! I only like Zarbon for his voice. :P

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:37 am

You can definitely tell the hype for Kai has gone down.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Kai handles the Freeza Saga. One of my biggest problems with this saga was that it was so drawn out and slowly paced. Hopefully Kai handles things more swiftly. So far so good. Can't wait for the next episode! :D
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:You can definitely tell the hype for Kai has gone down.
Well, there's not much to say a lot of the time. It usually just boils down to, "Well, I like it." "Well, I don't."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:54 pm

Freeza's voice seem way off... way worse than last episode's.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Kendamu wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:You can definitely tell the hype for Kai has gone down.
Well, there's not much to say a lot of the time. It usually just boils down to, "Well, I like it." "Well, I don't."
Eh, even DragonBallKaiHD's pirated Kai episodes on YouTube aren't getting that many views anymore.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Vegeta's VA is annoying me. He's fine when speaking, but he can't shout. He just sounds like he's pretending to shout. You know, like how you act like your shouting but without actually raising your voice? That's what he sounds like.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 pm

I think I haven't watched any Freezer episodes in Japanese (onny Spanish) does his voice change with the transformation?

I like Kiwi's new voice

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Oh yeah, I love Kiwi's voice. Too bad he dies so soon, it's my favourite voice so far. Loved his long, lazy, "Yo, Vegeeeeta" introduction.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:05 am

Rod wrote:I think I haven't watched any Freezer episodes in Japanese (onny Spanish) does his voice change with the transformation?

I like Kiwi's new voice
Just some slight vocal changes on Nakao's part, as I understand.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:12 am

I'm going to try and post screen shots from the newly drawn scenes from now on. I don't know if I'll do it every week but I'll try. Here is episode 20's redrawn shots...