Kai Episode 31 (8 November 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 31 (8 November 2009)

Post by Hujio » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 31, aired 8 November 2009.

孫悟空ついに到着!蹴散らせギニュー特戦隊
Son Gokuu Tsuini Touchaku! Kechirase Ginyuu Tokusentai
Son Goku Finally Arrives! Knock the Ginyu Special-Squad Around
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm

What I really liked about this episode is that it managed to get Butta out of the way. We've crossed the old 'Season Three' line are now running full speed toward the end. The episode felt like it dragged a little (and there was a bit of filler) but over all it got through the material and will be leading up into the infamous "180,000?!!" scene next week, which I can't wait to see.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:59 pm

They ruined Goku's arrival music.....

*drops Kai*

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Vino wrote:They ruined Goku's arrival music.....

*drops Kai*
I hope this is a terrible joke, because from the phraseology you're usin'...well, it sounds like you expect the Kikuchi score to be used, or something.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Vino wrote:They ruined Goku's arrival music.....

*drops Kai*
Y'know. Goku's arrival with the Genki Dama music from Z is one of my favorite parts in all of Z. Goku vs. Reacoome, Jeese, and Butta is pretty much my favorite part of the Z anime. I was worried about how this part was going to turn out.

However, using the recap music as Goku's arrival music and, instead of doing a recap, focusing on, "Goku is here. Shit's about to hit the fan," right before blasting into the opening was a really cool move on Toei's part for Kai. I ended up really liking the episode.

The only part that I wanted to see in there was where Jeese and Butta were seemingly flying through Goku and Vegeta points out that he's just moving so fast that you can't see him. I didn't expect it to be there, though, being filler and all.

Overall, the Kai version of my favorite part of Z was pretty freakin' cool! :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 am

I just love the fist hitting Jheese's face mid-talk. And Goku's simple ''Yo'' is badass. But to be honest, now that I've seen how good the Blu-ray looks it pains me to watch the ripped versions on the Internet. Oh well, guess I'll just have to bear with it.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:07 pm

I noticed something while reading the manga and watching this, trying to notice any big differences, and I realized... holy hell, the art for the manga is several times better.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I noticed something while reading the manga and watching this, trying to notice any big differences, and I realized... holy hell, the art for the manga is several times better.
Yeah and that counts also for Freeza vs Goku fight, I think that that's the peak of horribleness, Goku and Freeza looks different in each shot and after Goku's transformation on SSJ level, his hair are damn horrible and abnormally huge to it's manga counterpart
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I noticed something while reading the manga and watching this, trying to notice any big differences, and I realized... holy hell, the art for the manga is several times better.
This is a huge part of why I like the manga so much better than the anime. Toriyama never has "triangle crap" chapters.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:47 pm

You'll start noticing that more and more as the series goes on. It's why I tend to like the manga more than the anime; the artwork is more consistent.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:12 pm

One of those examples that drunken master works better in martial arts then in animation studio....

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 am

Yeah, the anime always had much worse art than the manga. Akira Toriyama just makes the characters classier than ever, and can make them look awesome when there is a moment when they're supposed to look extra stylish!

Also, graphically better than the anime are the video games nowadays (starting with Raging Blast for me, but I guess it was already the case with Burst Limit for most of you). The anime intros of the games weren't too shabby either for Budokai 2 & 3, and despite a low frame rate, they were much more impressive than the anime! Finally, needless to say the new Kai opening/endings are far beyond the anime itself and could actually be the most impressive anime graphics for Dragon Ball up until now!

As for this episode, I was surprised by the way the "previously" part was actually a continuation of the scenario, with Goku arriving and sensing what has happened! A smart moves which breaks the habits, just like that episode when Bulma and Mr. Popo went near Jupiter and there was a perfect musical transition to the eyecatch! It's the kind of thing they can do which makes episodes different from one another, sometimes they try a little something unusual here and there, and it keeps a little surprise factor for every episode which is not unpleasant!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:03 am

Actually, I'm maybe the one and only who isn't impressed by Kai OP & ED.....

They aren't working for me, this new graphics always designed and derivated from Toriyama's Boo saga and nowadays art is a lot annoying for me...... Also, it even didn't look like Toriyama's art, but it's again art made by artists and animators in studio who are missing that touch and vibe of original art....

It's logical that even on low framerate, Budokai's intro is looking well, because the animation nowadays is digital and not analog with drawing on cells and photocopying them.....

I think that if you looking on content of both openings, you don'tneed to see the actual show, because you have all Saiyan and Freeza arcs right in opening :lol:

That's what I always hated on western shows, how they used shots from series itself in openings, I always like how in Japan there were openings with newly drawn shots briefly related to situation in series.

Kai will never be Dragon Ball TV show for me, only edited re-run of Z, which is in fact worse then classic Z in comparison.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 am

MCDaveG wrote:Actually, I'm maybe the one and only who isn't impressed by Kai OP & ED.....

They aren't working for me, this new graphics always designed and derivated from Toriyama's Boo saga and nowadays art is a lot annoying for me...... Also, it even didn't look like Toriyama's art, but it's again art made by artists and animators in studio who are missing that touch and vibe of original art...
Honestly, I felt like the latest special really captured his art the best.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Honestly, I felt like the latest special really captured his art the best.
I don't know, It was good, but I don't like how it looks like nowadays because of digital technology and I didn't like Super Saiyajin's hair coloring, but I was impressed by that feature in it's sense of humor and all those cameos)))

But when I saw the manga version of it, that art wasn't that great.....
It definately wasn't Toriyama and those wavy lines of narrow things like building, aircraft and details of scenery, that quite pissed me off...

I have feeling sometimes, that Toriyama quite hates Dragon Ball even if he won't admit such a thing, because it's his most famous work worldwide...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, Toriyama didn't draw the comic version of the special. He passed it onto somebody who actually remembered the plot.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Well, Toriyama didn't draw the comic version of the special. He passed it onto somebody who actually remembered the plot.
I know, and that's why I don't like it..... some woman draw that.

I saw a lot better fanpics drawn by girls from Italy then this whole manga edition, also DB manga was always better then anime series, this manga is a lot worse then the animated special version....

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:25 am

According to ANN, this episode came in 3rd place in the ratings with 10.4; beating Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan, and One Piece!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... vember-2-8

(Come on Toei, develop a new db movie/special! The iron's hot! *_* )
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 am

I agree about the Goku punching Jeice scene. Very funny.
I did like how , in the original, they flew by Goku a few times. But this was so abrupt. :lol: :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Chuquita wrote:According to ANN, this episode came in 3rd place in the ratings with 10.4; beating Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan, and One Piece!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... vember-2-8

(Come on Toei, develop a new db movie/special! The iron's hot! *_* )
One Piece is boring as hell..... Damn, I tried to watch it about 3 times because everybody is telling me how it is awesome. I ended up really dissapointed and annoyed and DB beating Doraemon and Shin Chan in ratings isn't that big surprise