Christopher Sabat drops hints on Kai's dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:54 pm

In the long run, what matters most is what the fans want, let Everyday Joe and his xenophobic friends complain about how everything is correct.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Problem is, it's not that easy for them to just change names back to the original ones, because while we would like to see it, there are thousands who would probably take offence to having the dub style changed. I mean, a lot of these people have grown up with the dub, and won't take kindly to watching a series where "it's all been changed."
Then tough nookies for them. Respecting and actually doing a good job with the material should always take precedence over trying to appease anyone who, for God only knows what reasons, actually prefers some prior, badly-made, botched version.

For example, 4Kids' dub of One Piece had its fans too, believe it or not. FUNimation didn't cater to them when they re-dubbed that series because that would hurt the quality of their new dub. If they get a chance to re-dub DBZ in some capacity, even just vicariously through Kai, then they shouldn't do it then either. If they can do it the right way this time, then for Dende's sake, they SHOULD!
Exactly.

In addition to that, FUNimation's primary image pretty much demands a fresh team be allowed to run Dragon Ball and bring a more respectful image to the table. Colleen Clinkenbeard is a line producer at FUNimation and has had very minimum interaction with the property. Get her on as show runner and we could wind up with a Claymore quality dub.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:24 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:In the long run, what matters most is what the fans want, let Everyday Joe and his xenophobic friends complain about how everything is correct.
"Who cares what those fans want, it's all about what REAL fans want! They're probably filthy racists anyway!"
fps_anth wrote:Also, it would be nice if they whipped out "Son Goku"
It's "Goku Son", Japanophile.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Rocketman wrote:
fps_anth wrote:Also, it would be nice if they whipped out "Son Goku"
It's "Goku Son", Japanophile.
What's wrong with keeping it in the Japanese order? Goku Son just sounds... wrong. Any other time the name has appeared in English (subtitles, manga, Burst Limit, Evolution) they've kept the Japanese order. It's not like the series takes place in America either.
­

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:28 pm

They call him Son Goku all over Europe and in Japan.........
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Taku128 wrote:What's wrong with keeping it in the Japanese order? Goku Son just sounds... wrong. Any other time the name has appeared in English (subtitles, manga, Burst Limit, Evolution) they've kept the Japanese order. It's not like the series takes place in America either.
It doesn't take place in Japan, either. And the name has appeared far, far more as simply "Goku" in the US. :P

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Rocketman wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:In the long run, what matters most is what the fans want, let Everyday Joe and his xenophobic friends complain about how everything is correct.
"Who cares what those fans want, it's all about what REAL fans want! They're probably filthy racists anyway!"
You don't think that's a little one-sided? There are plenty of people who express disdain for the Japanese version for no other reason than because it's Japanese. He clearly wasn't talking to you.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 pm

You know what? I DON'T care what other fans want. So what? I want the series to be tailored to me as much as possible. I don't really give a damn who else likes it. I watch it because I like it not because you do.

So, yeah, if I want Goku to be "Son Goku" and voiced by a woman and all the rest, I don't really care if other people don't, or even if they do.

(This is all from a selfish perspective ignoring some of the realities of the market, of course)

I'm not a Japanophile (you couldn't pay me enough to live there) but I am a culture-phile. I think anything made, once brought to a different cultural or national market should try and stay true to its original incarnation as possible and that includes English/American shows. If an American show is brought over to Japan and the main character is John Smith, then the Japanese character should be called John Smith, not Smith John or Yamada Tarō or anything else. I feel the same applies both ways.

I don't care about companies trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to adapt a culturally different work into their own national identity. I find it tedious and more than a little close minded.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:27 pm

It doesn't matter if he's called "Son Goku" in an English version, because frankly, we don't know the naming conventions in the DB world. DB Earth is different from ours.

Nobody ever refers to Bulma as "Briefs", even though that's her family name. They just call her "Bulma" (well, "Buruma"). At the same time, Chi-Chi doesn't seem to have any more than one name. Is she "Chi-Chi Gyuamao"? Is Freeza "Freeza Cold"?

What's Yamucha's full name? Is Yamucha his given name or family name? Maybe he's Joe Yamucha. Maybe Tenshinhan is Tenshinhan Smith.

We're talking about naming conventions in a show whose characters are regularly named after FOOD.

I only like hearing "Son Goku" because he refers to himself as such often in the Japanese version.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:It doesn't matter if he's called "Son Goku" in an English version, because frankly, we don't know the naming conventions in the DB world. DB Earth is different from ours.

Nobody ever refers to Bulma as "Briefs", even though that's her family name. They just call her "Bulma" (well, "Buruma"). At the same time, Chi-Chi doesn't seem to have any more than one name. Is she "Chi-Chi Gyuamao"? Is Freeza "Freeza Cold"?

What's Yamucha's full name? Is Yamucha his given name or family name? Maybe he's Joe Yamucha. Maybe Tenshinhan is Tenshinhan Smith.

We're talking about naming conventions in a show whose characters are regularly named after FOOD.

I only like hearing "Son Goku" because he refers to himself as such often in the Japanese version.
Herms can catch me on this one, but Bulma doesn't have a last name.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Taku128 wrote:What's wrong with keeping it in the Japanese order? Goku Son just sounds... wrong. Any other time the name has appeared in English (subtitles, manga, Burst Limit, Evolution) they've kept the Japanese order. It's not like the series takes place in America either.
It doesn't take place in Japan, either.
Exactly. If it isn't a cultural thing why should the name be "translated" at all? That's just the way names work in the Dragon World.
Last edited by Taku128 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
­

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Herms can catch me on this one, but Bulma doesn't have a last name.
Yeah, Bulma doesn't have a last name. Her entire name is simply "Bulma". We actually had a discussion about surnames in DragonBall a little while back in this thread.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Funi oughta keep all of the dub terms and voices just to be consistent. And at the end of the day, they still have more than just you guys as an audience, and at this point, it'd be way too off-putting to release a Dragon Ball product after the entire series and all of the video games and other products have been dubbed, but with different voices and names. This is still Dragon Ball, goddammit.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:02 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Funi oughta keep all of the dub terms and voices just to be consistent. And at the end of the day, they still have more than just you guys as an audience, and at this point, it'd be way too off-putting to release a Dragon Ball product after the entire series has been dubbed, but with different voices and names.
If they want to be faithful to the Japanese version, they'll ignore what you said there.

Anyway, the fans of the current English version have had a monopoly on it for too long. It's time the show be treated like every other anime, the right way. This also means replacing the awful voice cast.

The only "consistency" they've had so far is being consistently bad. I'll take faithfulness over consistency. Then they can be consistent with faithfulness.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 am

penguintruth wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Funi oughta keep all of the dub terms and voices just to be consistent. And at the end of the day, they still have more than just you guys as an audience, and at this point, it'd be way too off-putting to release a Dragon Ball product after the entire series has been dubbed, but with different voices and names.
If they want to be faithful to the Japanese version, they'll ignore what you said there.

Anyway, the fans of the current English version have had a monopoly on it for too long. It's time the show be treated like every other anime, the right way. This also means replacing the awful voice cast.

The only "consistency" they've had so far is being consistently bad. I'll take faithfulness over consistency. Then they can be consistent with faithfulness.
Maybe in a perfect world. But Funi's not stupid either. Everything that they've done in the past still has an effect on today, and like it or not, it'd be fucking stupid for Funi to make a completely new dub with new voice actors for a Dragon Ball property because these voices and names are synonymous with American Dragon Ball. So it'd be a good idea to stick with the voices and names, just with a better script, unless you want Funi to lose money (hey, that rhymed).

And again, you guys aren't the entire fanbase. You're a minority of a fanbase. And sure, the Dragon Box is for you guys, but only because of the fact that there's an alternate release of it that appeals to the majority of fans. But I don't think Funi is willing to spend money on a whole new dub just to please a minority.
Cold World (Fanfic)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 am

Wait, wait. You're trying to tell me that the fans of the current DBZ dub are the majority?

I've been away from the DB community for way too long.

Supposing that's true, it's irrelevant. If they have somebody saying that they're going to be as faithful as possible, in order to live up to that, they will be just that, faithful. That includes the voices they choose.

ADV didn't worry about angering Robotech fans when they made a more faithful Macross dub.

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 am

penguintruth wrote:Wait, wait. You're trying to tell me that the fans of the current DBZ dub are the majority?

I've been away from the DB community for way too long.

Supposing that's true, it's irrelevant. If they have somebody saying that they're going to be as faithful as possible, in order to live up to that, they will be just that, faithful. That includes the voices they choose.

ADV didn't worry about angering Robotech fans when they made a more faithful Macross dub.
No, you've been on this forum for too long. Most DBZ fans in America are probably fans of the dub. And if Funi made a DBKai dub that completely ignores that fanbase then, they might as well just give away free money. At the end of the day, it's still business.
Cold World (Fanfic)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:26 am

jjgp1112 wrote:No, you've been on this forum for too long. Most DBZ fans in America are probably fans of the dub. And if Funi made a DBKai dub that completely ignores that fanbase then, they might as well just give away free money. At the end of the day, it's still business.
I've been on this forum for a few months. I've been on nearly every other anime forum for years. Ask most anime fans about the DBZ dub. They'll laugh in your face.

Also, trust me, they'll do fine with a faithful dub. If they're going to do a dub like the one they have now, they might as well not bother licensing Kai at all.

Can I get a Schemen?

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Maybe in a perfect world. But Funi's not stupid either. Everything that they've done in the past still has an effect on today, and like it or not, it'd be fucking stupid for Funi to make a completely new dub with new voice actors for a Dragon Ball property because these voices and names are synonymous with American Dragon Ball. So it'd be a good idea to stick with the voices and names, just with a better script, unless you want Funi to lose money (hey, that rhymed).

And again, you guys aren't the entire fanbase. You're a minority of a fanbase. And sure, the Dragon Box is for you guys, but only because of the fact that there's an alternate release of it that appeals to the majority of fans. But I don't think Funi is willing to spend money on a whole new dub just to please a minority.
I doubt FUNimation is going to do a completely new cast, but some changes have to be made. Sean Schemmel lives in New York now. Damien Clarke and Kyle Hebert live in LA. I'm sure there are several other cast members that have also moved to other states as well. Some of these people have to be recast. And are dub fans really going to not buy Kai just because Tien is called Tenshinhan and Goku has a family name?
­

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 am

I remember reading that Sean Schemmel did all of his Movies 1-3 lines in New York. And also, Kyle Hebert flew in to dub over all of Dale Kelly's narration for the Season Sets as well as whoever the fuck voiced Ox King in the original History Of Trunks and the Frieza, Android, and Cell sagas.
penguintruth wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:No, you've been on this forum for too long. Most DBZ fans in America are probably fans of the dub. And if Funi made a DBKai dub that completely ignores that fanbase then, they might as well just give away free money. At the end of the day, it's still business.
I've been on this forum for a few months. I've been on nearly every other anime forum for years. Ask most anime fans about the DBZ dub. They'll laugh in your face.

Also, trust me, they'll do fine with a faithful dub. If they're going to do a dub like the one they have now, they might as well not bother licensing Kai at all.
Form what I've seen, the majority of DBZ fans don't even watch other anime. We're not talking about anime fans. Just regular ol' fans of Dragon Ball Z who you see on video game forums and the like.
Cold World (Fanfic)