FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNimation dub of Kai vs full/original DBZ accuracy

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:14 pm

That's somewhat different, as that's the best approximation their phoenetic system can duplicate, and, very often, when they actually speak it, they'll bring it as close to "Trunks" and "Cell" as they possibly can. You'll hear "Trunks" almost as often as "Torankusu." But there is never any fluctuation on the pronounciation of Kamehameha. Any time it's pronounced, it's pronounced exactly the same way. It seems to me they knew what they were trying to say. Granted, that's my own speculation.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, of course there's the possibility, but I just don't see it as likely. What do we know for sure? We know that it's a Turtle School attack, or Kamesen-style. It begins with that name: "Kame." It ends with a "Ha" as do several other attacks. "Hame" rhymes with "Kame." Sounds like Toriyama's style of humor. Plus, Kamehameha is by far the most recognizable attack from the show. You would think that, if he had lifted it from the King of Hawaii, he might have mentioned that at some point. But as far as I know, no reference has ever been made to the fact that they are the same name.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:36 am

Puto wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, of course there's the possibility, but I just don't see it as likely. What do we know for sure? We know that it's a Turtle School attack, or Kamesen-style. It begins with that name: "Kame." It ends with a "Ha" as do several other attacks. "Hame" rhymes with "Kame." Sounds like Toriyama's style of humor. Plus, Kamehameha is by far the most recognizable attack from the show. You would think that, if he had lifted it from the King of Hawaii, he might have mentioned that at some point. But as far as I know, no reference has ever been made to the fact that they are the same name.
Anyone know what the Japanese version of this panel says?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Greenman wrote:
Puto wrote:Image
In the Japanese manga, Puar just says "Awe... Awesome!!! Yamcha-sama, is that the 'Kamehameha'......?!"

Yamcha's response is pretty close to what Viz has, except in the Japanese manga he refers to Kame-sennin as Muten Roshi.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Heh, as soon as I wrote that I knew someone was going to bring up that panel eventually, but, thanks to Herms, I already knew that that was VIZism.

...The more you know!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Hujio wrote:
Greenman wrote:
Puto wrote:Image
In the Japanese manga, Puar just says "Awe... Awesome!!! Yamcha-sama, is that the 'Kamehameha'......?!"

Yamcha's response is pretty close to what Viz has, except in the Japanese manga he refers to Kame-sennin as Muten Roshi.
Figured as much. Thank you.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I do have to say I didn't know that was originally a colored panel. That was nice to see!

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I do have to say I didn't know that was originally a colored panel. That was nice to see!
But it wasn't originally a colored panel. That was the recent thing that Jump did, which was digitally color the first 23 chapters of Dragon Ball.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Oh, I guess that's why I didn't remember it being a colored panel... So was this in the new tankobon release? I thought that was just a straight re-release. I didn't know they did any alterations...

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:38 pm

They were offering the manga online for awhile, and colored some(or all, I can't recall) of the chapters. They stopped at Chapter 23.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 am

B wrote:They were offering the manga online for awhile, and colored some(or all, I can't recall) of the chapters.
All.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Puto wrote:
If you're talking about how he got the name "Kamehameha", I was pretty sure he stated in an interview somewhere that his wife had suggested the name...and that it was from the name of the Hawaiian king. I could be wrong, though.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

UristtheGreat
Beyond Newbie

Post by UristtheGreat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Freeza definately needs a recast, I can't remember who I had in mind. It might have been whoever who plays King Cold but a bit higher.
LeprikanGT wrote:...I LOVE that we are getting the Dragonboxes, but the JP ones are HUGE ones are noticably taller and the dicks dont overlap.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 am

Big Momma wrote:
If you're talking about how he got the name "Kamehameha", I was pretty sure he stated in an interview somewhere that his wife had suggested the name...and that it was from the name of the Hawaiian king. I could be wrong, though.
From what I remember (from an Animerica interview, I think?) was that it was indeed his wife who mentioned the name. However, I don't think it said that she got it from the Hawaiian king. From what I remember, he was trying to come up with the attack name, and wanted it to start with 'Kame', and she suggested that it should rhyme, like 'kamehame' or something. Maybe she was unconsciously recalling the name of Kamehameha, but it appears it was never intentional for the two to have the same name. Perhaps I should dig out my old Animericas sometime to see if I'm remembering this correctly....
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: I feel like I’m the only person on this whole forum who honestly thinks that MasakoX’s Goku just isn’t THAT cool.

Yes, it’s perfectly good for a fan parody and I like it just fine in that context… but all this wishing that the voice be used in an actual redub of the series is just blowing it entirely way the hell out of proportion.
I dunno...the man voiced in some serious fandubs as Goku and he handle it pretty well. Too bad most of them are all down. >_>

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:Everyone has to remember that the script they were using for the show is ancient. They were using the Ocean Dub script for the early episode if I remember correctly, thus the reason of "Over 9000" being in both English dubs before it was popular (Instead of Over 8000). I really think Funimation can come up with a proper script.
Actually, Sabat said he intentionally used "Over 9,000" in the redub simply because of the meme. He acknowledged that it was originally 8,000 and changed it to 9,000 mainly because of the fan feedback towards the meme.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:20 am

Tsukento wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:Everyone has to remember that the script they were using for the show is ancient. They were using the Ocean Dub script for the early episode if I remember correctly, thus the reason of "Over 9000" being in both English dubs before it was popular (Instead of Over 8000). I really think Funimation can come up with a proper script.
Actually, Sabat said he intentionally used "Over 9,000" in the redub simply because of the meme. He acknowledged that it was originally 8,000 and changed it to 9,000 mainly because of the fan feedback towards the meme.
I thought that he only did that for the games. I could've sworn that the re-dub was before the meme entirely.
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:11 am

You know, I think they might actually keep the attack names in Japanese. Or, at the very least, re-name them with appropriate translations... anyone else think so? Or, was this already talked about? Should I of lurked more? ^.^;

Also, I predict Over 8,000.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:26 am

KaiserNeko wrote:You know, I think they might actually keep the attack names in Japanese. Or, at the very least, re-name them with appropriate translations... anyone else think so? Or, was this already talked about? Should I of lurked more? ^.^;

Also, I predict Over 8,000.
I wish I had that much optimism. :lol:

Fingers crossed...!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:01 am

Rocketman wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Honestly, even if Toriyama did explicitly choose the attack name to honor King Kamehameha, the fact is they still pronounce it the way they do, and that's really all that matters.
Well...they also pronounce it 'Seru' and 'Torankusu'...
Blah! The attack is Kamehame-Ha (KAH-meh-HAH-me-HAH), not Kamehameha (kah-MEH-hah-MEH-hah).
Notice how they're written differently in Japanese: かめはめ波 (Kamehame-Ha) versus カメハメハ (Kamehameha). The 波 (ha) means wave by the way.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."