Dragon Ball or DragonBall?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball or DragonBall?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:27 am

Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Would it be Dragon Ball or DragonBall when written out?

The only places on the internet where I've seen it written out as DragonBall is Kanzentai and Daizenshuu EX. Everywhere else on the internet its written out as Dragon Ball, a few examples are: Wikipedia, Gamespot, FUNimation.com, Anime News Network, Atari.com and many more.

I know the logo suggests that it should be one word, but then wouldn't it be Dragonball without the capital "b" and sometimes it is actually written out as two words on offcial merchendise like the Dragon Ball Z "Legends" cover.

Am I reading too much into this? What are your thoughts?

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball or DragonBall?

Post by Savage68 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:38 am

Toriyama has it as 'Dragon Ball' all throughout the original version of the manga.

It's that.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:42 am

Savage68 wrote:Toriyama has it as 'Dragon Ball' all throughout the original version of the manga.

It's that.
Yeah I know but I just got confused because Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai keep writing it as DragonBall which is incorrect.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 am

I really don't think it matters. But I think the VIZ manga has it written out as "Dragon Ball". I prefer it that way myself.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:13 am

Big Momma wrote:I really don't think it matters. But I think the VIZ manga has it written out as "Dragon Ball". I prefer it that way myself.
Yeah Dragon Ball looks much nicer than Dragonball or DragonBall.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:26 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Savage68 wrote:Toriyama has it as 'Dragon Ball' all throughout the original version of the manga.

It's that.
Yeah I know but I just got confused because Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai keep writing it as DragonBall which is incorrect.
I think because, unromanized, - it's 'doragonbooru'.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:41 am

Savage68 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:

It's that.
I think because, unromanized, - it's 'doragonbooru'.
But wouldn't that make it Dragonball.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 am

Yes, but when Toriyama draws the words out, it's 'Dragon Ball'.

Then again, he also has names like 'Gokuh' and 'Kulilin'.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:54 am

Savage68 wrote:Yes, but when Toriyama draws the words out, it's 'Dragon Ball'.

Then again, he also has names like 'Gokuh' and 'Kulilin'.
Gokuh and Kulilin are correct translations, they just look weird.

But who can forget "Red Ribon" on the cover of volume six.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:53 am

There's no need for that last letter in 'Gokuh' in English. Like like for the proponents of 'Gokuu'. It's redundant.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:06 am

Savage68 wrote:There's no need for that last letter in 'Gokuh' in English. Like like for the proponents of 'Gokuu'. It's redundant.
Its true there is no need for the last "h" and "u" but Gokuh and Gokuu are both acceptable translations, redundant or not.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:22 am

I think I've explained it before, but here goes:

(1) Written in katakana, it's all one word: ドラゴンボール (doragonbooru)
(2) Written on the tankoubon in "English", it's all in uppercase, but split into two words: DRAGON BALL
(3) Written on the kanzenban in "English", it's all one word in mixed case: Dragonball
(4) Written in many adaptations in "English", it's split up into two words with each word first-letter-capitalized: Dragon Ball
(5) onwards and onwards, etc. and etc.

"DragonBall" (all one word, mixed-case) is my personal compromise combining all of the individual elements from various "spellings". There's no "correct" way when it's wildly inconsistent. For the record, though, I typically spell "Dragon Ball" as two words when referring to the actual objects in-universe, themselves.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 am

Basically, what Mike said. And for me, it's what has been used the longest on the net by fans, as far as I remember. It's just how I've written it since the mid-90s.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 pm

I go with Dragon Ball, after seeing "Mystical Adventure!" write it as "DRAGON BALL".

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:00 pm

The Kanzenban calls it "Dragonball" and that's good enough for me.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:58 pm

I used to type it "DragonBall" until recently when I switched over to the two word version, believing it more "correct." Interestingly, when referring to the objects themselves, I do the opposite of what Mike just said, referring to them exclusively as one-word non-camel case: "dragonball."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm

I just use Dragonball whether I'm talking about the series of the objects for some reason (lower case D for the objects).

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I think I've explained it before, but here goes:

(1) Written in katakana, it's all one word: ドラゴンボール (doragonbooru)
(2) Written on the tankoubon in "English", it's all in uppercase, but split into two words: DRAGON BALL
(3) Written on the kanzenban in "English", it's all one word in mixed case: Dragonball
(4) Written in many adaptations in "English", it's split up into two words with each word first-letter-capitalized: Dragon Ball
(5) onwards and onwards, etc. and etc.

"DragonBall" (all one word, mixed-case) is my personal compromise combining all of the individual elements from various "spellings". There's no "correct" way when it's wildly inconsistent. For the record, though, I typically spell "Dragon Ball" as two words when referring to the actual objects in-universe, themselves.
I understand how you personally write it out as DragonBall, but it hasn't appeared like that on any official media so it isn't technically correct even though it is a combination of all the spellings.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 pm

What's with the h in "Gokuh" anyways? It kinda goes against the rules of Japanese phonetics..
Just Saiyan...

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:56 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:What's with the h in "Gokuh" anyways? It kinda goes against the rules of Japanese phonetics..
A bit off topic, but I'll answer your question: "Gokuh" is and acceptable romanization of the Japanese name written in Kanji, plus "Gokuh" was used on the cover of Volume 6.