Kai Episode 42 (31 January 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Kai Episode 42 (31 January 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:01 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 42, aired 31 January 2010

フリーザを倒せ孫悟空!誇り高きベジータの涙
Furiiza o Taose Son Gokuu! Hokori-Takaki Bejiita no Namida
Defeat Freeza, Son Goku! The Proud Vegeta's Tears
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 42 (31 January 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Bah, double post (don't want to soil the opening post so it can be kept in line with the ones). Anyhow, this was a really emotional episodes. Surprisingly it only really covered episode #86 of Dragon Ball Z and borrowed one from #87. I must say Horikawa did an excellent job in this episode and with likely only seven remaining I have to wonder if only six of those will be dedicated to the fight with Freeza.
She/Her
bisexual milf

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Who keeps saying Kai ends at 50? Seriously, this is getting annoying.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05 am

bkev wrote:Who keeps saying Kai ends at 50? Seriously, this is getting annoying.
The home video release schedule we've had for nearly a year at least implies such might be true.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:10 am

JulieYBM wrote:
bkev wrote:Who keeps saying Kai ends at 50? Seriously, this is getting annoying.
The home video release schedule we've had for nearly a year at least implies such might be true.
Or, Toei was merely not comfortable trying to make a release schedule that stretched for a longer period of time. In any case, we should know soon.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Or, Toei was merely not comfortable trying to make a release schedule that stretched for a longer period of time. In any case, we should know soon.
That beckons the question as to why they threw it out into the public then.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 am

JulieYBM wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Or, Toei was merely not comfortable trying to make a release schedule that stretched for a longer period of time. In any case, we should know soon.
I don't understand your reply. I'm saying Toei was only comfortable making plans for the releases of the first 50 episodes, and you're saying...what now? I'm sorry, I'm just confused. :P
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 am

The burn mark returns!

Under construction.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:09 am

That is fucking hideous! :shock: It looks like they simply used the Burn tool in Photoshop, then blurred it to hell... I guess Freeza just burned him with a giant cigarette instead in Kai... :x

And why did they get rid of the patches of blood on his cheeks, but keep the streams of blood flowing from his mouth? And with all of that blood running from his mouth, what the fuck is so wrong with it being shown gushing out? Now instead of coughing up and gagging on his blood, he just chokes on his spit. How anti-climactic.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 am

Metalwario64 wrote:That is fucking hideous! :shock: It looks like they simply used the Burn tool in Photoshop, then blurred it to hell... I guess Freeza just burned him with a giant cigarette instead in Kai... :x

And why did they get rid of the patches of blood on his cheeks, but keep the streams of blood flowing from his mouth?
Apparently, it's less graphic? But I don't understand why it was acceptable back then, and now it's not. Is Kai being censored for content for the kids?
You must have faith in who you are.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: Or, Toei was merely not comfortable trying to make a release schedule that stretched for a longer period of time. In any case, we should know soon.
I don't understand your reply. I'm saying Toei was only comfortable making plans for the releases of the first 50 episodes, and you're saying...what now? I'm sorry, I'm just confused. :P
Oh dear me, I completely misread your reply.

This, friends, is why we don't read forums when your parents are watching B-grade sci-fi channel originals in the same room. :P
She/Her
bisexual milf

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 am

Wow, they really overdid the censorship. Of course a dying man is going to be bleeding the shit outta himself. Ah well. Also, in before someone makes a "that spit looks like something else" joke.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:51 am

I just don't get why the hell they made the wound into such a monstrosity... The original version's wound wasn't even bloody, so why did they feel the need to make it even bigger (which makes no sense...) and then make it as ugly as they did? Hell, the original wound could even pass as a burn mark! :|
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 am

This episode failed at soundtrack.

Wow, that same track we hear every episode over Vegeta's burial? Nice. That's a great substitute for the piece they used in Z.

Well, at least they didn't splooge all over it with their mediocre insert songs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:44 am

penguintruth wrote: Well, at least they didn't splooge all over it with their mediocre insert songs.
Agreed, I was terrified "Over the star" was going to start playing while Vegeta was dying.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 am

WHAT...THE...FUCK....!!!??

Seriously... why was he allowed to cough blood this time? What the hell made this the exception to all of those other pointless censors?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:53 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Image

Seriously... why was he allowed to cough blood this time? What the hell made this the exception to all of those other pointless censors?
Whoa, I didn't realize there was an instance that the blood was intact. Generally the way blood is censored is that flowing blood is not allowed, but still is, as evidenced by the other screenshots.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Image

Ok wait, this is the same scene as the 2nd "Comparison" from the 2nd post in this thread. It's the same scene just mirrored.

That means whoever made the comparison above decided to take one frame where he wasn't coughing up blood and show that and pretend it was censorship, when in reality, this one scene was untouched. IE, they may have reordered the scene, but you still see Freeza's tail over his neck, and you still see a Bunch of blood squirt out.

That's pretty stupid.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:40 pm

I believe those Youtube caps are from clips where the frame is mirrored as a new ''trick'' to fool people into thinking that it's not a copyright violation. The things they come up with these days.

Anyway, the aura around Goku when he walked towards Freeza, is that new or was it there also in Z?

EDIT: Hmm, just noticed the time showing on the left upper corner is correct so they might not be mirrored after all. Oh well...

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:40 pm

THANK YOU!!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::