Kai Episode 42 (31 January 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 42 (31 January 2010)

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Hujio wrote:
bkev wrote:Who keeps saying Kai ends at 50? Seriously, this is getting annoying.
THANK YOU!!
I'd like to say I always preface such statements with 'assuming', 'likely', 'if', etc. :P
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

RattleMan

Post by RattleMan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 pm

DemonRin wrote:Ok wait, this is the same scene as the 2nd "Comparison" from the 2nd post in this thread. It's the same scene just mirrored.

That means whoever made the comparison above decided to take one frame where he wasn't coughing up blood and show that and pretend it was censorship, when in reality, this one scene was untouched. IE, they may have reordered the scene, but you still see Freeza's tail over his neck, and you still see a Bunch of blood squirt out.

That's pretty stupid.
Try looking closer. You'll see the the two screenshots are two minutes apart. :P
Under construction.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 pm

penguintruth wrote:This episode failed at soundtrack.

Wow, that same track we hear every episode over Vegeta's burial? Nice. That's a great substitute for the piece they used in Z.
You mean the SAME SONG we heard in DB Movie 2 and when Piccolo died?

DBZ had a habit of reusing a crap ton of music during the Saiyan and Freeza sagas, you know.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:50 pm

But every episode? Certainly not that piece.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Exactly. Obviously DBZ reused pieces, but not nearly at the volume that Kai does, and it's ridiculous to compare them that way.

Even if we hadn't heard that particular track in a while (which we have, often), it was still a bad fit for that scene.

I'm even tempted to say the English dub's Faulconer soundtrack did that scene better. That's pretty bad.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am

I will say the even though the choices of music in the episode vary in quality, I strongly feel that Horikawa actually surpassed his performance of Vegeta's death in Z in this episode of Kai. I really could hear him choking out his last words. Very strong peformance.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:42 am

JulieYBM wrote:I'd like to say I always preface such statements with 'assuming', 'likely', 'if', etc. :P
That's true, I suppose. You did say:
JulieYBM wrote:...with likely only seven [episodes] remaining...
However, saying that is like saying "it's likely I'll win the lottery soon", even though I have no real basis to say that. You're implying that almost without a doubt, it will end at episode 50. And like I said, it's annoying that so many people are basing this on virtually nothing. Phrases that are prefaced with "assuming" and "likely", don't really imply the person saying it thinks it's possible Kai will continue on. See what I'm sayin'?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 am

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:19 am

Hujio wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I'd like to say I always preface such statements with 'assuming', 'likely', 'if', etc. :P
However, saying that is like saying "it's likely I'll win the lottery soon", even though I have no real basis to say that. You're implying that almost without a doubt, it will end at episode 50. And like I said, it's annoying that so many people are basing this on virtually nothing. Phrases that are prefaced with "assuming" and "likely", don't really imply the person saying it thinks it's possible Kai will continue on. See what I'm sayin'?
Your sentiments do not go unnoticed and I apologize for my less-than-careful phraseology. While I think there's a good chance the series might end or a break might be taken, I probably should not have been so quick to take the DVD/BR listings as a sign.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 am

Hujio wrote:
Yeah, the notion of them not finishing out Kai to the end is just... dumb...
It's getting really good ratings and "Dream 9" is a great advertising situation for Toei.

I mean, That's like saying Toei's going to stop doing One Piece DVD Releases beyond Thriller Bark because that's all that's been announced so far.

Even though its made using old episodes of DBZ, you can't expect them to know exactly what they're going to do episode-count wise with the later half of Kai. It's smarter to just say "Ok, this is how the first 50 episodes are going to go, stand by for the rest" than to try and pinpoint exactly how everything is going to go right off the bat.

I mean, we got another equally shifty rumor in the beginning that Kai was gonna cap at 100 episodes, why does this whole "50 Episodes" rumor have more credence?

And Videl's voice actress chimed in on her reluctance to return. That would kindof imply that she was asked at some point. Why would Videl coming back even be an issue if they were going to end it long before she even became part of the picture?!

With how long the series is at the end of the Freeza arc, I'm beginning to think the 100 episode prediction is gonna be right actually.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:32 am

All I can say is that I'm glad they didn't use Saiyan Blood again.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 am

well, when dbz was airing, or more precisely when it began airing, they had no idea they would have 291(?) episodes, the network executives would probably consider like 50(or any other number of) episodes for the next year and then when those were about to be over there would come another batch of episodes to consider, so it is the same with kai. They are still doing the episodes so they don't even know how many there will be.

So, basically, I think (and hope) it's just a silly rumor

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't know if it's Horikawa that saved it, but I actually kinda choked up when Vegeta was dying :o I actually really didn't think the music was wrong, I think they chose really well, if only they hadn't used it so much. But that's just my opinion :)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:59 pm

One of the best episodes in Kai so far. Every version I've seen, even the dub and it's mangled dialogue, does good justice to Vegeta's death.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:31 am

I also thought Horikawa's performance was really good during the death scene, maybe even better than in Z. And I also didn't mind the music. Like I said earlier, my greatest fear was an insert song but fortunately they didn't use one.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 am

I loved Horikawa's performance, but god damn, the censoring really hurt this episode.

I actually laughed out loud right after Vegeta gets shot again, and, when he was supposed to spit up blood, literally coughs in the direction of the camera :lol:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:21 am

[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 am

Horikawa's performance in Kai puts Z to absolute shame. In Z we just got the stereotypical "Kkkcckckckkc" noise through the whole thing. In Kai you could truly hear the tears.

But I don't know why everyone's complaining about the Music. I loved the track they used for his death and that piano track they used for when he was actually dead.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Because the burial part had the same track we hear every episode, whereas the Z version had that great track from movie 3.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 am

Holy cow. Yogi Vegeta's top contender?!

Mr.Horikawa's performance is incredibly noteworthy here. I've been ignoring Kai up until this point; just had to see what they chose to do with this scene. All in all, I thought it was..lovely. 8)