Kai finishing at 100 episodes - is it even possible?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai finishing at 100 episodes - is it even possible?

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:The buu arc is just too long to cut down to fit into 25 eps.
It's possible. The Saiyan and Freeza arcs make up about 12 volumes of the manga and it'll roughly be about 54 episodes of Kai. The Boo arc is about 6 volumes of the manga which is half as long as the Saiyan and Freeza arcs. So it wouldn't be an outlandish assumption to think that it could be done in roughly 25 episodes.

I don't think they'll actually attempt that, though. I'm just saying that it's possible.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah but the first 2 volumes of the Saiyan arc are smaller than the rest, and the last 2 volumes of the Boo arc are bigger than normal.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Yeah but the first 2 volumes of the Saiyan arc are smaller than the rest, and the last 2 volumes of the Boo arc are bigger than normal.
Kai, in most cases, averages out at about 3 to 5 manga chapters per episode depending on how much talking there is. There's 98 chapters of the Boo arc starting with Dragonball Vol. 36 (DBZ Vol. 20). 98 / 3 = 32.66. Considering that it's 3 to 5 chapters per episode on average, they could make it less than that very easily.

However, I don't believe they actually will because, for the Goku vs. Freeza fight, they've given us a bit more breathing room and they're using closer to 2 chapters per episode right now to include some memorable anime-only moments of the fight without dragging it out for way too long like DBZ did.

Since there are a lot of memorable anime-only scenes in the parts of the Boo arc like the majority of the fight between Goku and Majin Vegeta, I'm thinking that there'll be times where the Boo arc is given more breathing room (while not killing it with filler) and it'll likely hit somewhere around 40 episodes instead.

It's still very possible to put it into 25 or 30 episodes, but I don't think that they'll actually do that.
(they/she)

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm

At least 30 is feasible, although I still think it'll be longer. I was just saying that 20-25 seems absurd. The Boo arc is almost exactly twice as long as the Saiyan arc (taking it to the end of the fight with Vegeta), and that was 18 episodes of Kai.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Kendamu wrote:Kai, in most cases, averages out at about 3 to 5 manga chapters per episode depending on how much talking there is. There's 98 chapters of the Boo arc starting with Dragonball Vol. 36 (DBZ Vol. 20). 98 / 3 = 32.66. Considering that it's 3 to 5 chapters per episode on average, they could make it less than that very easily.
I'm not quite sure where you're getting some of your numbers, because Kai averages about 2-3 chapters per episode, not 3-5. It rarely has hit 5 chapters, and if anything, 4 is the most it usually hits.

I've listed some pretty standard numbers for arcs below that I think most will agree upon, but by no means does everyone have to use them. I'm just throwing them out there as a nice visual so people can compare the arcs. You can see that the Buu arc is twice as long as the Saiyan arc by chapters, but about 2.5 times longer by episodes. Since the Saiyan arc only takes up 16 episodes of Kai, I think it'd be feasible for them to fit the Buu arc in about 30 episodes. I personally still think it'll be somewhere around 40-45 episodes, and hopefully closer to 40 episodes. I just don't see it fitting into 25 episodes. I think it'd be horrible, but that could just be me. We'll see...

Saiyan arc
Chapters 195-242 = 48 chapters
Z Episodes 001-035 = 35 episodes

Freeza arc (excluding the Garlic Jr. arc - 10 episodes)
Chapters 243-328 = 86 chapters
Z Episodes 036-125 = 80 episodes

Artificial Human arc
Chapters 329-420 = 92 chapters
Z Episodes 126-199 = 74 episodes

Majin Buu arc
Chapters 421-519 = 99 chapters
Z Episodes 200-291 = 92 episodes
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Just look at your own episode guide for the Saiyan arc. There's a lot of stuff covered. Definitely more than two chapters per episode. Especially in the second half where it's mostly fighting.
(they/she)

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm just saying that for most of the Freeza arc, it seems like they've settled on 2-3 chapters per episode. But yeah, if there's mostly fighting, then they seem to go through more chapters per episode.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:18 pm

It might settle down a bit in the Boo arc, then. As much fighting as there is, there's also a whole lot of talking.
(they/she)

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:14 am

My biggest question is how will kai handle the last 3-4 eps of dbz because in a big sense the end of dbz is sort of a big chunk of filler. It would be a riot if they kept in the scenes where the z-fighters are dancing in the end of z (of course they wont).
FOREVER FORNEVER

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 am

I'm still hoping they animate the additional kanzenban pages.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:43 am

Amigo Ten wrote:I'm still hoping they animate the additional kanzenban pages.
Honestly, with how they're just mindlessly tracing whatever was originally animated, I'd be surprised if they gave us the alternate ending from the kanzenban. That said, I think it would be neat to see, and if anything, I think it's something they could animate and include on the last Blu-ray as an incentive for people to buy it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Heath and Jake have hooked us up with #52-53's titles:

Episode 52: "Two Remain on a Vanishing Planet! This is the Final Showdown"
Episode 53: "Son Goku's Final Blow...Planet Namek Scatters Throughout Space"

I'm going to go ahead and predict #53 will contain #105 and half of #106 (ending with the explosion of Namek).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf