Name Pun Round-up

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Re: Name Pun Round-up

Post by Drabaz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Drabaz wrote:In the first episode of Dragonball Z, before we meet Gohan for the first time, we see Chi-Chi calling for Gohan. Are we suposed to think that she's yelling for Goku by calling out "food's ready!"?
Not Goku, but Gohan, yes. The line is, from what I remember, "Gohan-chan! Gohan yo!" The first sentence is the character's name, the second is about food.
"Gohan" literally means rice, but is used as a general term for a meal. That's the joke, that his name is lunch and it's time for lunch. For an English example, a man named William is being handed a slip of paper containing a list of his expenses: "Bill! Bill."
Right. So the viewer at first is not suposed to think, "Gohan-chan? Does she mean Grandpa Gohan? No he's dead. She must just be calling Goku to let him know his meal is ready." And then when we actually meet Gohan, we freak out that Goku has a son and that's who Chi-Chi has been calling for. Because not growing up with the show in Japan, most of us at this point already know who Gohan is, so we're not confused as to who she's calling for.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Olivier Hague wrote: And interestingly (?), the pinyin should really be "Taobaibai". The "strong" Chinese "b-" sound is often rendered as a "p-" sound in Japanese, hence the "taopaipai" kana. But I guess we're all used to spell the name as "Taopaipai" in alphabet
Not all of us :)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Hejj, Hogg, & Lee
The 3 girls Oolong kidnaps. Like Grandma Paozu, their names are left out in Viz.
Toriyama Explanation: “When I was trying to think of what to name these characters, my eyes fell on a Tamiya plastic tank model with the nickname “Hedgehog”. Sure enough, Lee is also the nickname of a tank.” [DBF]
I don't know if you count these as names, but in Viz, they were referred as: "Kitten", "Princess" and "Precious".
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:05 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:You're probably right about the "pan" thing. Someone told me it was French for bread, but they were probably just confused.
The French for "bread" is definitely "pain", not "pan".
Adamant wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:I guess we're all used to spell the name as "Taopaipai" in alphabet
Not all of us :)
I never noticed that! ^__^;

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:28 pm

On the subject of "Buuruberi", the reason why it was written like this is because the sound "br" doesn't exist in Japanese and "buuru" is the Japanese way writing the English word "blue". So "Blueberry" is the correct translation.

And, aren't Garlic Jr.'s henchmen called the Mazoku Shitenoh?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:On the subject of "Buuruberi", the reason why it was written like this is because the sound "br" doesn't exist in Japanese and "buuru" is the Japanese way writing the English word "blue". So "Blueberry" is the correct translation.
I think his point was that that actual word "blueberry" has the long "ii" sound at the end, where as the character's name has the short "i" sound. So... Blueberri? I dunno.

Oh, and the switched elongated "u" sounds. Didn't notice them. Either way, it is a different spelling. The name is "buruu" rather than "buuru". I have no idea how that would translate.
Last edited by Amigo Ten on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:On the subject of "Buuruberi", the reason why it was written like this is because the sound "br" doesn't exist in Japanese and "buuru" is the Japanese way writing the English word "blue". So "Blueberry" is the correct translation.
I think his point was that that actual word "blueberry" has the long "ii" sound at the end, where as the character's name has the short "i" sound. So... Blueberri? I dunno.
Oh.

Does it really make that much of a difference to the character's name?

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:
Oh.

No. Which is why it's left as Blueberry. :P

I have no idea how you could translate the slightly different pronunciation into English. Blooberri? Rahzberri? Although that just changes the spelling mostly.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Amigo Ten wrote: No. Which is why it's left as Blueberry. :P

I have no idea how you could translate the slightly different pronunciation into English. Blooberri? Rahzberri? Although that just changes the spelling mostly.
Yeah, "Blueberry" is the closest translation that is an actual English word.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Sort of ruins the point of a pun if you just use the actual word though doesn't it? I'd assume that's why the Japanese names were slightly different from the words. The long vowel sound is after the "b" in the name, rather than after the "r", so "Balooberry" or something could work. Rahsberry communicates the longer vowel sound well enough in English (although I'm there's people that pronounce it like that anyway).

Eh, they're pretty minor minor characters, I'm sure it doesn't matter that much.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Any idea on the name pun of Majin Ozotto from Dragonball Z V.R.V.S?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Makaioshin wrote:Any idea on the name pun of Majin Ozotto from Dragonball Z V.R.V.S?
I don't think it has a name pun, I think it is an actual Japanese word. Escapes me what it is though.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

So does anyone know what Princess Misa (ミーサ/Miisa) or King Kres (クレス/Kuresu) from the Demon Realm filler episode with Shura and co. might be named for? Oh, and apparently the queen is named “Hi”.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I don't know if you count those as names, but in Viz, they were referred as: "Kitten", "Princess" and "Precious".
Yeah, I'd consider those simply terms of endearment and probably not actual names.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:And, aren't Garlic Jr.'s henchmen called the Mazoku Shitenoh?
It's "Mazoku Shiten-nou". I made a post about them a ways back.
Makaioshin wrote:Any idea on the name pun of Majin Ozotto from Dragonball Z V.R.V.S?
I'm not sure. It's sorta close to ozoi, meaning "disgusting, repulsive, absurd", and ozomashii, meaning pretty much the same thing. That seems to fit him, so maybe it comes in part from that?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:32 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:I think his point was that that actual word "blueberry" has the long "ii" sound at the end, where as the character's name has the short "i" sound. So... Blueberri? I dunno.
Oh.
On, ont taht mchu.

Herms wrote:
I'm not sure. It's sorta close to ozoi, meaning "disgusting, repulsive, absurd", and ozomashii, meaning pretty much the same thing. That seems to fit him, so maybe it comes in part from that?
It looks like "ozo 'to" or "ozoozo 'to" are indeed used, according to Google... I didn't know that one. 'Not sure what it means either. More or less the same thing as "zo 'to"?
And yeah, I'd think it comes from "ozomashii", but...?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:45 am

Herms wrote: It's "Mazoku Shiten-nou". I made a post about them a ways back.
Sorry must have missed it.

P.S Mazoku Shitenoh is also an acceptable romanization.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Mazoku Shitenoh is also an acceptable romanization.
Oh, you do need that second "N"...

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 am

Steve Simmons' subtitles on Dragon Box 2 call him "Buleberry", and his partner "Raasberry".

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:47 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Mazoku Shitenoh is also an acceptable romanization.
Oh, you do need that second "N"...
Really? May I ask why?

I thought it was just "Shi" (four), "Ten" (heaven) and "Oh" (king).

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:57 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I thought it was just "Shi" (four), "Ten" (heaven) and "Oh" (king).
Taken separately, yeah, that's how the kanji would sound... But here...
You asked why, but I'm afraid I can't help you with that one: I have no idea.

EDIT: A quick Google search pretty much confirmed what I suspected: it's just a sandhi. In other words: "it evolved that way and that's it".

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Really? May I ask why?

I thought it was just "Shi" (four), "Ten" (heaven) and "Oh" (king).
It's an unusual reading: してんのう instead of してんおう.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.