Kai Episode 50 (28 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Kai Episode 50 (28 March 2010)

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 pm

zentradi wrote:Guys, really basic but simple question from a new fan.

If it is already episode 50 and fight with Freeza is on what is season 3 (of DBZ US). How are they going to fit the remaining 5 seasons in 49 episodes? I thought Kai was going to be 99 or 100 episodes so I am completely puzzled as to how this will happen. This fight with Freeza has been going on for at least 14 Kai episodes and 10 after Goku's revival. I don't understand how the rest will fit in a mere 40 some episodes.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
The first thing you need to do is toss out the ideas of "seasons" as per FUNimation out the window. They're irrelevant and have nothing to do with anything what-so-ever :).

The "99 episodes" thing appears to just be a tentative number that they've tossed out, and is one we should expect to adjust as time goes on. There has been no statement saying anything like, "Yep, we're done at 99 episodes!"... it's just that the release schedule from Happinet has been updated again this time going up through episode 99 instead of just through episode 50 like it previously had.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:48 pm

zentradi wrote:Guys really basic but simple question from a new fan.

If it is already episode 50 and fight with freeza is on which is season 3 (of DBZ US). How are they going to fit remaning 5 seasons in 49 episodes? I thought Kai was going to be 99 or 100 episodes so I am completely puzzled as to how this will happen. This fight with freeza has been going on for atleast 14 kai episodes and 10 after Goku's revival. I don't understand how the rest will fit in mere 40 some episodes.

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks
The Android and Boo arcs stretch the manga pretty thin and has more than a decent amount of filler. While "99 episodes" is just an estimate on their part and many of us are thinking closer to 120 episodes, they'll be able to fit in the remaining two arcs just fine.

Blast! Mike beat me to it!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 pm

@zentradi: Might I suggest giving this thread a read. There are some interesting thoughts and speculation going on in the thread, with gems like:
Hujio wrote:...the 99 episodes are listed as "tentatively planned". So no, it's nothing concrete and as I've already predicted, I believe we'll see that number change as we approach it.
Kendamu wrote:We did the math back when Kai was announced and the "100 episodes" thing was still just a rumor. Kai covers about three to five chapters of the manga per episode. Also, the Android and Boo arcs have a lot of filler. No worries. 100-ish episodes will be enough.
There's also some math stuff going on in the thread to back up the predictions, so I won't spoil that for you. But overall, the consensus is that Kai will go beyond 100 episodes, but probably won't go more than 130 episodes. My personal prediction has put the series at around 125'ish episodes.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm

With the Goku vs. Freeza fight looking a bit closer to the max amount of episodes I was predicting (though still looking about half as long as Z), I can agree with something closer to 125-ish episodes.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

zentradi

Post by zentradi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

guys thank you for this info.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Any redrawn scenes to note.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Some of the better redrawn scenes I've seen for Kai. They blend in nicely with the original scenes. I hope they get better for the Cell in Buu saga.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:12 pm

I had thought the 99 episodes thing was being backed up by how many dvds they're planning? Not 99 exactly but roughly around the 100 mark.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Commander_Red wrote:I had thought the 99 episodes thing was being backed up by how many dvds they're planning? Not 99 exactly but roughly around the 100 mark.
They've announced up through 33 planned DVDs, which puts the episode count at 99. Both are listed as "tentatively planned", so they will more than likely add-on more episodes and DVDs as they see fit. The 99 episodes is just an estimation on their part showing that the series will be longer than 50 episodes.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 am

The redrawn scenes look pretty good.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:29 pm

I thought this was certainly on the weakest episodes in a long while. Really couldn't get in to it for some reason. The action was really padded out (and I'm not referring to all the dialogue scenes). The whole pink scene at the start was annoying and needless, and it didn't flow well. It would have been better to cut the whole bit out, and just have the bit where Freeza pummels Goku and Goku smirks be the small but cool it was in the manga rather than a two minute fight/race scene.

And the stuff at the end felt really slow and awkward. Freeza just created his energy ball thing off screen apparently, since he was normal in one shot and then when it cut back to him he was charging at Goku with his ball thing around him.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:And the stuff at the end felt really slow and awkward. Freeza just created his energy ball thing off screen apparently, since he was normal in one shot and then when it cut back to him he was charging at Goku with his ball thing around him.
I actually thought that scene worked very well. The pacing was great and the music built up perfectly, and it felt very epic.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 am

Hujio wrote:@zentradi: Might I suggest giving this thread a read. There are some interesting thoughts and speculation going on in the thread, with gems like:
Hujio wrote:...the 99 episodes are listed as "tentatively planned". So no, it's nothing concrete and as I've already predicted, I believe we'll see that number change as we approach it.
Kendamu wrote:We did the math back when Kai was announced and the "100 episodes" thing was still just a rumor. Kai covers about three to five chapters of the manga per episode. Also, the Android and Boo arcs have a lot of filler. No worries. 100-ish episodes will be enough.
There's also some math stuff going on in the thread to back up the predictions, so I won't spoil that for you. But overall, the consensus is that Kai will go beyond 100 episodes, but probably won't go more than 130 episodes. My personal prediction has put the series at around 125'ish episodes.
130 eps? At 13 eps/set, that means FUNi will require 10 box sets. Hope they're not expensive.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:56 am

Dayspring wrote:130 eps? At 13 eps/set, that means FUNi will require 10 box sets. Hope they're not expensive.
I was just thinking the same thing the other day. And on top of that, anyone that's picking up the Japanese releases is screwed. Think about it, there were 49 DVDs of DragonBall Z released at about $40 a pop. As of now, we know there will be at least 33 DVDs of DragonBall Kai released at about $30 a pop. And remember, the Kai DVDs contain half the episodes the Z ones did (3 episodes instead of 6). So if they end up having about 130 episodes of Kai, you could end up with just about as many DVDs for Kai as you have for Z, even though Kai will be about half the length of Z. Did I just blow your mind?! :P

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I'd imagine that once the series has completed it's run there will be bigger boxsets.

Lugo

Post by Lugo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 pm

This ep. was pretty good and had good pacing to it. I only spotted 3 color mistakes in this ep. where scenes should have be altered and be redrawn. #1. Where Goku flies off and Freeza chases after him. Freeza's aura should have been blue, not yellow like Goku's SSj aura. #2. Goku and Freeza are in the arm lock, and when they start to float up with the bursting aura, Goku's skin color in his face was whiter than his upper body in all; they should have darkened his face skin a little bit to match. #3. When Goku blasts Freeza down to the crater and he looks down before he does his pose for the KamehameHa, his hair is still that darkened orange color; they should have lightened it up to the blonde color.

That's all I have to say there. xP lol

Also, vino posted those HD images from the ep. Does anyone know where or who might have more of those images?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:01 am

Damn, if all scenes we're re-drawn like this.... I dunno, but I feel about Kai that it looks really bad. Music, pacing, dub - good, but the most important thing, visual, si pretty f**cked up. Damn, why is TOEI always doing only half work with long running series!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88