Kai Episode 52 (11 April 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 52 (11 April 2010)

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am

I think it was more of what he basically said in his speech where he stopped fighting: his revenge was to humiliate Freeza. Let him know that he was no longer worth fighting, and that there was someone in the universe who could totally strip him of his pride and make a mockery of him. And he was going to leave Freeza alive with that humiliation. Freeza, however, didn't like that. Goku really wavers on whether or not he's a humanitarian (?). Sometimes he'll offer to let villains go just because he's a nice guy (the Ginyu Tokusentai), sometimes he'll let them go because he's a selfish bastard and puts his own desires above the needs of the world (Vegeta), and sometimes he'll just kill indiscriminately (Red Ribbon).
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

Goku doing his "no killing" thing only lasted between the latter half of the Saiyan arc and the end of the Freeza arc. Otherwise the dude will wreck shit if he has to. Must've been some idea that Toriyama had to make him more likeable.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:24 pm

Must be, seeing as how Goku killed any villain at the drop of a hat as a kid.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote:Goku doing his "no killing" thing only lasted between the latter half of the Saiyan arc and the end of the Freeza arc. Otherwise the dude will wreck shit if he has to. Must've been some idea that Toriyama had to make him more likeable.
He also refuses to kill Piccolo at the 23rd TB, though there was the whole God/dragonballs complication. Still, Goku's rate of killing does plummet after he grows up.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I always figured he only ever spared a few characters for specific reasons.

Piccolo he spared because A) Dragon Balls, and B) Wanted to fight him again
Vegeta he spared because he wanted to fight him again
Freeza he probably spared out of some form of disgust. He'd already toppled Freeza, now he didn't seem worth killing anymore. Son's personality changed a bit during that first Super Saiyan Transformation, he was a tad angrier and ruder.

Son's usual motivation is "Where are the strong guys!? I wana fight a strong guy! give me a stronger guy! You're not strong yet? Can you get strong?! Fine, Get strong and come back and we'll fight, it'll be great!" XD
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Flamzeron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flamzeron » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 pm

DemonRin wrote:Son's usual motivation is "Where are the strong guys!? I wana fight a strong guy! give me a stronger guy! You're not strong yet? Can you get strong?! Fine, Get strong and come back and we'll fight, it'll be great!" XD
That's so true it's worth sig quoting.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm

I've always pegged his 'no killing thing' up to the influences of Kami and, possibly, fatherhood. Not killing everyone seems like something Kami would teach, and Gohan also had a similar effect on Piccolo.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Need I remind you that after Freeza spits on Goku's good will and tries one final attack on him, Goku delivers a "killing blow" that only didn't work because King Cold and his bunch came by in time to save Freeza? And it turns out later that Goku only doesn't kill Freeza because Trunks gets to him first. He absolutely would have destroyed Cell and he does destroy Buu.

And, not that they're canon, but he does kill a number of movie villains, like Telluce and Coola.

Goku's willing to kill if that's what it takes, but it's not always necessary. At the time, Freeza's humiliation was a fate worse than death anyway, for a guy who always prided himself as being the strongest in the universe.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm

It is a weird double standard, both Piccolo and Vegeta threaten to blow up the Earth (or at the very least wipe out everyone who lives there) and Goku is a-okay with that and lets them go. Cell threatens to blow up Earth and Goku has no trouble with him dying.

Freeza I can understand,Goku had already outclassed him so there was no need to keep him around for a strong opponent to fight.When it comes to Piccolo I guess since he's not technically the same person as his father he hadn't committed any super atrocious crimes (for a DB villian anyway) thus Goku didn't feel the need to kill him.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:04 pm

I always saw it that Goku just had no respect for Cell, because he's simply an amalgamation of other fighters and hadn't earned or learned any of his abilities/strength.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 pm

Cell's just a robot though. He's not going to change his ways or anything because the way he's programmed, and he has no reason to keep him alive to be stronger because Goku is already dead.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 am

penguintruth wrote: Goku's willing to kill if that's what it takes, but it's not always necessary. At the time, Freeza's humiliation was a fate worse than death anyway, for a guy who always prided himself as being the strongest in the universe.
And the fact that he was beaten by someone from an "inferior" race that used to be enslaved to him.

That's like if Hitler's entire army would have been overthrown by a small Jewish army.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

Actually, in the manga story, Goku never kills again after his training with God. Strong symbolism here. After that:

- He doesn't kill Piccolo.
- He doesn't kill Raditz.
- He doesn't kill Nappa.
- He doesn't kill Vegeta.
- He doesn't kill the Ginyu Commando.
- He doesn't kill Freezer.
- He doesn't kill Cell.
- He only "kills" Boo at the very end, and that's killing only to be reborn instantly with a better life, so it's more "make you forget and give you a newborn human body" than really "kill". There's no hatred, no will to take anyone's life himself, just to purify it (which sometimes succeeds). Worthy of a training with God, don't you think?

This is actually supposed to be a major symbolism in the series, I think. Goku kills as a kid, not knowing it's bad (otherwise he wouldn't be able to climb on Kinto-Un), but after his training with God, he'll never kill anyone again, not even bad guys. The point is that even when he possibly wants to (example: when he ragingly blasts Cell's upper body and wonders why the latter doesn't seem to be dead), or if it's for selfish "wanna fight you again" reasons, the point is that he doesn't happen to kill ever again and that's probably no random stuff.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Cold Skin wrote: - He doesn't kill Piccolo.
- He doesn't kill Raditz.
- He doesn't kill Nappa.
- He doesn't kill Vegeta.
- He doesn't kill the Ginyu Commando.
- He doesn't kill Freezer.
- He doesn't kill Cell.
- He only "kills" Boo at the very end
- He doesn't kill Piccolo because he thinks he'll get stronger and wants to fight him again
- He was ready and willing to kill Raditz, he only backed off once because Raditz pulled the "I'm your brother!" card. As soon as he learned that lesson, he made sure to hold onto him next time, and although Piccolo was the one to do the deed, Son held him and no longer had any objections.
- He didn't have the chance to Kill Nappa, Toriyama wanted to use Nappa as a jobber to show how much of an "Elite" Bastard Vegeta was
- He didn't kill Vegeta for the same reason he didn't kill Piccolo
- Not sure on the Ginyu Special Corps, but they weren't really major villains worth focusing on.
- He let Freeza live momentarily, which would arguably have been crueler to such a prideful bastard, then Freeza basically spat in his face, so Son tried to put him down, there was no holding back
- He doesn't kill Cell because... he COULDN'T Kill Cell... that was the point. He wasn't strong enough, but he was sure Gohan would be, which ended up being the case... There was never a "Cell can live if he promises to be good!" moment at all. Hell, if you count him in because of the Father-Son Kamehameha, Son DOES Kill Cell.
- You mention the Ginyu Special Corps, but neglect Yakon? Son killed Yakon. He stood there while Vegeta killed Pui Pui and had nothing to say about it. He nonchalantly threatened to kill Kaioshin if he wouldn't move. And he seemed completely serious about that.
- Yes, he killed Boo, and yes he did ask for him to come back, but that wasn't because he was "Grown up and responsible about killing". He wanted to fight Boo again, so he wanted him to come back good so there would be no threat of world destruction based on the outcome of their fight.

That's what it really boils down to. As I said before, Son's core motivation in the series is that he wants to fight stronger and stronger guys. He let Piccolo go to get stronger and fight again, he let Vegeta go to get stronger and fight again.

Really, Freeza is the only character who can't be explained away that way. Every single other character he either let go to get Stronger later, or he set out to actively kill.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm pretty sure if Goku, instead of Gohan, achieved Super Saiyan 2 at the Cell Games he wouldn't kill Cell. It might just be me but Goku seems have a lot of respect to Cell, due its great power of course, after this achieved its perfect form. Not sure what he would make with it though.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Really? I'd say the opposite. Goku seemed quite pissed that Gohan decided to toy around with Cell and not just finish him off.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Why wouldn't Goku have killed Cell? I don't think he'd have any other choice, and he was urging Gohan to do it.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Really? I'd say the opposite. Goku seemed quite pissed that Gohan decided to toy around with Cell and not just finish him off.
That is just because Gohan was playing with his toy, a toy he couldn't play with cause he was too weak.

He also wanted the others to kill Freeza and Buu and we know how those turned in the end.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, Goku had to kill them himself.

Flamzeron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flamzeron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:52 pm

penguintruth wrote:Need I remind you that after Freeza spits on Goku's good will and tries one final attack on him, Goku delivers a "killing blow" that only didn't work because King Cold and his bunch came by in time to save Freeza? And it turns out later that Goku only doesn't kill Freeza because Trunks gets to him first. He absolutely would have destroyed Cell and he does destroy Buu.

And, not that they're canon, but he does kill a number of movie villains, like Telluce and Coola.

Goku's willing to kill if that's what it takes, but it's not always necessary. At the time, Freeza's humiliation was a fate worse than death anyway, for a guy who always prided himself as being the strongest in the universe.
I concur completely. He only kills if it is necessary. If Freeza had not attacked Goku, I bet that he would have become a major character.