Kai Episode 53 (18 April 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 53 (18 April 2010)

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:12 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 53, aired 18 April 2010.

孫悟空、最後の一撃…ナメック星宇宙に散る
Son Gokuu, Saigo no Ichigeki... Namekku-sei Uchuu ni Chiru
Son Goku's Final Blow... Planet Namek Scatters Throughout Space

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 53 (18 April 2010)

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank goodness they got rid of that ridiculous flashback. They also got rid of those throwaway shots of earth, resulting in a whole Z episode cut down to about 10 minutes. Makes me so happy, because I always skipped "Mighty Blast of Rage" or whatever it was called, because the whole episode was almost entirely throwaway shots and flashbacks. The music during that scene fit well, and is one of my favorite Kai tracks.

Great Elder's death scene was also much better this time around, and had a couple of wonderful pieces of music playing, instead of the inappropriately placed Movie 2 track like in Z (which also played mostly when it showed Fr­ieza standing around in the series).

Also, LOL at Yamcha doing the NEP! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Yamucha did the next episode preview?! I have to go check this out!!! Squeeeeeeeee!

EDIT: Okay, checked it out. "Yo! Yamucha da!" Awesome! Although I find it extremely funny that the only reason he's doing it is because Goku is believed to be dead, yet Yamucha himself has been dead for the past 40 episodes or so. Not that I'm complaining! :lol:

Just out of curiosity, was it like this in Z? I know in the episode that ended where it was believed that Jackie Chun had killed Goku, the other characters did the next episode preview, but did it happen again here?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:26 am

Great episode! I liked how Vegeta got everyone angry again. Would've been hilarious if he was hit with one of those stone dragonballs after that. But oh well. XD I still don't get why Saichoro-sama simply disappears since he didn't do this when he died on Namek. But I guess the Namekians are a bit relieved. Just imagine burying someone that huge :lol:

Anyway, a great episode. I always feel for Goku at that moment. Especially the first time when I didn't know he was still alive.

By the way, they totally spoiled Goku still being alive in the next episode preview, didn't they? :lol:

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 am

The pacing is probably still the number one thing I like about Kai. I was starting to get tired of the whole Sayajin/Freeza arc. Maybe because I've seen it a couple of times in the last 3 years due to new (Z) products being released constantly.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:31 pm

It was a neat episode. :) Freeza has got to be the most self-loving and persistent villain ever. :lol:
He refused to believe that a Saiyan that was said to be a low class warrior would be able to take him down.
The psychological trauma Goku caused the space tyrant was very severe.

In other terms, I found it a bit funny how the Namekians quickly overcame their sorrow of the Grand Elder passing away. The dramatic mood was suddenly changed with a different topic that was brought up.

So, next week we're going to have a non-action episode and one week later we'll have the appearance of Trunks-san, as well as a new ending. Yay! I wonder when are they going to change the opening as well...

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:03 am

Wow :o I think the really good thing about this episode was that they used like... 3 tracks of background music in total? :o At least there was A LOT of silence, especially when Freeza was killed. Okay I just checked and maybe not 3, more like 6 or 7, but there was a lot of silence that helped the mood A LOT! Don't know how it was in the Japanese version though, this is my first time in Japanese.

I thought the pacing worked, the music worked, everything just worked and it made it a really nice watch :) I think maybe my favorite Kai episode (well, in how it was adapted from Z).

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm

A massive improvement on the original in this episode.
Rest in peace, massive flashback, you most defiantly will not be missed.

So now the Namek/Freeza arc has been reduced in size from 72 to 38.
34 whole episodes of filler and padding gone.
Wow, if there was any evidence that Kai was needed, here it is.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Notice anything?

Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 pm

"Excuse me, has anyone seen my third arm? YOU CAN'T MISS IT, IT'S PURPLE!!"

That is...very odd.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:53 pm

These screw ups are so bad, but I only notice them when someone posts them here on Daizex. Very funny though, you'd think the artists would catch these things before working on the next frame.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Blue wrote:Notice anything?

Nope, that's actually his foot. I thought the same thing when watching the episode but in the next shot when it zooms out you can see his severed legs laying right behind him. It's just the weird angle that's making it look like another arm.

-Mike

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Well it's hard to tell with this pic, but that foot has a thumb....and four fingers. Freeza's foot has three toes. The intention could have been to have been a foot(nice catch btw) but the artist drew it like a hand.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Well it's hard to tell with this pic, but that foot has a thumb....and four fingers. Freeza's foot has three toes. The intention could have been to have been a foot(nice catch btw) but the artist drew it like a hand.
True, Freeza's feet look absolutely nothing like his hand.

http://www.brandonsports.com/ver2/pic_g ... -final.jpg
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 am

So is three-handed Freeza a Z shot or a Kai shot?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:So is three-handed Freeza a Z shot or a Kai shot?
Just from looking at it, that's definitely re-used footage from Z. Notice how there are little breaks in the lines of Freeza's body? That's from traditional animation where the ink didn't quite make it to the cel. Anytime you see that, it's a dead giveaway that it isn't modern digital animation. That, and it doesn't look like flash animation with little detail.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:27 am

Blue wrote:Notice anything?

That is defiantly his foot.
I can only see evidence of two toes and they don't look like fingers.

They really shouldn't have put them so close, so it could pass for an arm though.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Taking a look at it, that's definitely his lower half down there. You can see his tail; it's definitely his foot, not an arm.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Hujio wrote:Notice how there are little breaks in the lines of Freeza's body?
Not really. I'de like to know what you mean though.

EDIT: oh wait, you meant the outer contours of his body. Yes, now I see it.
Last edited by Son Wukong on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Hujio wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:So is three-handed Freeza a Z shot or a Kai shot?
Just from looking at it, that's definitely re-used footage from Z. Notice how there are little breaks in the lines of Freeza's body? That's from traditional animation where the ink didn't quite make it to the cel. Anytime you see that, it's a dead giveaway that it isn't modern digital animation. That, and it doesn't look like flash animation with little detail.
Yeah, that's what I thought, and I can see what you're talking about. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for confirming for me. :D