Freeza Not Knowing Goku: The Plot Hole

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Freeza Not Knowing Goku: The Plot Hole

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 am

Yay for the Dragon Boxes. I've been watching things with a greater eye to detail than ever before, reading the cast lists, recognizing the different art styles, and discovering plot holes I never realized existed. Thankfully, most of them occur only in filler, but we all know there are some canonical ones as well. Eh, I'm sure this is nothing new. With a 25 year old series, probably everything there is to nitpick has been nitpicked, but I'll share my little finding anyway.

Right before Zarbon goes back to find the defeated Vegeta, Freeza shares with him his fear of a "chou" Saiya-jin emerging and has a premonition that it's not Vegeta. Zarbon dismisses this, as the only Saiya-jin besides Vegeta are that guy from earth and his son. So obviously Freeza and his inner circle know about Goku, most likely from listening in on Vegeta and Nappa's scouters.

Later, when Gohan nearly beats Freeza's third form, Freeza comes to the shocked realization that Gohan is a Saiya-jin. No problem there, as there was no reason for Freeza to assume Gohan wasn't a pure earthling up to that point. But then he reasons that Gohan is Raditz's child as he looks nothing like Nappa or Vegeta. Um, but you already know that a Saiya-jin living on earth has a kid... Occam's Razor, Freeza!

And then, when Goku and Freeza meet each other for the first time, and Vegeta refers to him as Kakarrotto, Freeza is stunned that this is a Saiya-jin name. So now it's pretty obvious that Freeza (and Toriyama) have forgotten the previous conversation with Zarbon that shows that Freeza is fully aware of Goku's existance... either that or it's a stealth retcon. You decide!!!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Freeza Not Knowing Goku: The Plot Hole

Post by penguintruth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 am

Lord Freeza can't be expected to remember every piddling little detail. He's a busy man.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 am

Freeza forgot Goku like Krillin forgot Gohan. The Son family clearly aren't important to other people :lol:
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:Krillin forgot Gohan.
What are you referring to?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Silver Sinspawn wrote:Krillin forgot Gohan.
What are you referring to?
Well, he met Gohan prior to Z in the first movie, then doesn't recognize him in the first Z episode. Then the GJ saga comes along making a big plothole.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:42 am

I don't think it's fair to just say "he forgot." Freeza suffers from a fuckton of paranoia, especially toward Saiyans. I think if he really was worried about a mystery Saiyan, it wouldn't be something he'd easily forget.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:Well, he met Gohan prior to Z in the first movie, then doesn't recognize him in the first Z episode. Then the GJ saga comes along making a big plothole.
But that's all filler...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:49 am

I know, where did I say it wasn't?
I was just saying.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:I know, where did I say it wasn't?
I was just saying.
I understand now Johnson, I guess that was totally uncalled for!

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 am

But, filler does bring plotholes aplenty.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Well, didn't Freeza miss the battle between Goku and Vegeta, what with Vegeta crushing his scouter and vaporizing Nappa?
So information on Goku as a Saiyan would have to come before that.
Ur...
Oh, wait. If they were listening to the Raditz bit...
Except... in that case, why wouldn't Freeza have gone to Earth first?
AH!
So I'm assuming that Freeza's people only paid attention to the fight with Nappa.
Was it ever made clear during that battle that Goku was a Saiyan?
Never mind the use of the Name Kakarot...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes. All of Vegeta's talk during the three hour break was about how Kakarrotto was a traitor to the Saiya-jin and needed to be dealt with personally, yadda, yadda. And Vegeta was definitely wearing his scouter during all of that, so that would explain how Zarbon and Freeza knew about him, who he was, what his strength was, etc.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Vegeta went to Earth to kill ''that guy and his son.'' Vegeta came back. It's possible Freeza just assumed the fight concluded in Vegeta's favor because of this, as they'd have no means of eavesdropping once Vegeta removed the scouter. Rather than think otherwise, he guessed Gohan was Radditz's son because of how the looked the same.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Well, obviously Zarbon didn't get that memo, or he wouldn't have considered Goku to be an active threat.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 am

Well, Goku did die during his fight with Raditz. I'm not sure how much info Freeza got after Goku showed up to fight Vegeta and Nappa. Then, there's Goku interactions with the Ginyu Force.

Whenever there's a scouter around, doesn't it always give a weaker reading than what Goku is actually capable of?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:Well, Goku did die during his fight with Raditz. I'm not sure how much info Freeza got after Goku showed up to fight Vegeta and Nappa.
He got enough info during Vegeta and Nappa's visit to learn about Namek's Dragonballs.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 pm

I think Zarbon's comment about Goku and Gohan wasn't a reference to them being an active threat. He was telling Freeza that it had to be Vegeta, if there was to be a Super Saiya-jin, because the only others were the two from Earth... who they both thought were dead thanks to Vegeta.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

I didn't mean active threat as in "stronger than Vegeta." I meant active threat as in "alive" and "existing." I believe I said it earlier that Zarbon brings up Goku specifically to state that he's weaker than Vegeta and, therefore, provides no reason for Freeza to be worried about a "chou" Saiya-jin. But like I said, I only mention that to show that Zarbon and Freeza do indeed know he exists and is still alive after the battle with Vegeta.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Sun May 02, 2010 6:02 pm

I've thought about this subject too. Freeza probably lost track about it.

At the spaceship when they were discussing, Freeza and Zarbon didn't speculate if Gohan was one of the two saiyans they were talking about.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 pm

It's interesting none-the-less, I never noticed this detail before.

Although remember. Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta because he was worried a SSJ might showing up. I don't think its unreasonable to assume he'd keep track of the only 4 to survive it's destruction. It's just another well found plot-hole.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.