Garlic Jr. Officialy Dismissed From Kai: Thoughts?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Garlic Jr. Officialy Dismissed From Kai: Thoughts?

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 am

Well what are your thoughts (on the Garlic Jr. mini-arc being removed from Kai? Do you like this or not? As for me, I've actually never watched the Garlic Jr. arc so I can't say anything about it yet.
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrome
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Garlic Jr. Officialy Dismissed From Kai: Thoughts?

Post by Chrome » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am

I actually don't mind the Garlic Jr mini-arc. But its removal was to be expected and it doesn't bother me. I can always just go and watch Z.
In a nutshell: Likes the sub and the dub and barely ever posts.
You'll probably find me [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/chromegloss55]here[/url] more often...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am

It seems kind of weird to ask this if you haven't seen it yourself yet, but okay.

Personally, I don't like the Garlic Jr. saga very much. It isn't terrible, but it's just...well...boring. I always end up bored and skip past it. But that opinion completely aside, I still think it's a good idea to remove it. The story is a continuation of one of the movies, which a lot of the people watching Kai may not have seen. It makes no sense to include it, and it's obviously not in the manga, so I think it's a pretty logical decision.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am

Boring and mediocre. Added nothing and probably created a few plot holes.
I doubt anyone will cry for it.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 am

I was happy to see it go. :lol: I never liked it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm

I own Dragon Box Three...so I can't say I care. :wink:
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Good riddance.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't mind it being gone. I think that arc could've been better executed than it was anyway.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:19 pm

I am happy. Out of all of the arcs in Dragonball, this one is my least favorite. I've seen the arc so many times thanks to Toonami's New Years celebration, and by celebration I mean showing the whole arc after midnight(year after year). It's the only arc I'm sick of and I'm happy it's not in Kai.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Loving that it's gone.

Means when I inevitably buy the DVD set I won't have to skip several episodes.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:01 pm

I've owned Orange Brick 4 for 2 years now, and I've never been able to watch past the Garlic Jr. stuff. Good on you, guys!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Of all the DBZ filler, the Garlic Junior arc makes the least sense and feels the most time-wasting.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

No more big daddy Garlic. Oh well, we have Dragon Boxes for him, and there's always Movie 1.

ThegreatPirateKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ThegreatPirateKing » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it being removed.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:58 pm

There's a lot to like about the Garlic Jr. arc (First two episodes, last episode, well-done character focus on both Vegeta and Krillin, nice oldschool feeling characteristic of pre-Cell DBZ; basically everything outside the fighting), but I found the various battles on Kami's Temple to be pretty boring, and that comprises the majority of the arc. So yeah, I won't miss Garlic Jr. too much, though I still think it's a decent enough arc, and it's not even my least favorite filler in Dragon Ball Z (That being the Afterworld Tournament). The training against the Saiyans is my favorite with the pre-Cell Games stuff a pretty close second, Fake Namek a somewhat distant third (Though I still enjoy all of Fake Namek), with Garlic Jr. and Afterworld Tournament a likewise distant fourth and last.

Edit: Or is it Otherworld Tournament? Hell, I don't remember.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm not a fan of the Garlic Jr. arc. I'm glad they went straight to Trunks like in the manga.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:03 pm

For all people who says you don't care because you got Dragon Box,Orange Brick,Movie 1,and others. well it's different,if Garlic Jr. arc is kept in Kai you can see it in HD,reanimated scenes and maybe some redrawn scenes.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:well it's different,if Garlic Jr. arc is kept in Kai you it in HD,reanimated scenes and maybe some redrawn scenes.
That wont really change anything, watching in HD wont make the Garlic Jr arc good, same for re-animated scenes.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Yeah, but the same could be said for any of the filler they cut out. The main point of Kai isn't to see everything you already saw in HD (an eventual Blu-ray release of DBZ could do that, since the show was made on film). The point is to get it closer to the manga. So there was really no reason to expect a long filler (and filler that has its origins in a movie, so meta filler even!) arc to be in this show. It doesn't bother me. I would have been greatly surprised had they kept it.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:34 am

Tod bad it's gone. It was a saga that didnt need Goku coming in the last minute saving the day.