Episode #0221 (30 May 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0221 (30 May 2010)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 31, 2010 5:37 pm

Episode #0221 (download MP3) (rss feed)
50:12; 96 kbps, mono; 34.4 MB

Episode #0221! VegettoEX and Hujio discuss "Ougon no Senshi" ("The Golden Warrior"), a new art and illustration book released in Japan this year. It has a wealth of new and rarely-seen images, along with three interviews. Is it worth it for the price? A good batch of news, all of June's releases, great e-mail responses, and a plethora of contests round out the episode. Win a copy of the very book reviewed on the show! Referenced sites:

Hadn't planned on doing an episode this week, but a half-day on Friday for the two of us made it a little easier. Have fun!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0221 (30 May 2010)

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon May 31, 2010 7:32 pm

If you don't listen to the dub/care about the dub, I don't think you can really say the dub voices need to change for the better of the show if you have no cares for the dub.

If they changed someone like Vegeta/King Kai/Frieza, it wouldn't be the same nostalgic experience for the dub fans as if they kept as much as the original cast as possible.

I've noticed it's usually the die-hard sub fans that say those voices should change when they couldn't care less about the dub.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Mon May 31, 2010 8:20 pm

I can definitely relate to marathoning the podcast. I found it around episode 140, and I caught up in about 3 weeks. So... that is about 45 episodes a week, 9 a day.... I have no life :shock:

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:If you don't listen to the dub/care about the dub, I don't think you can really say the dub voices need to change for the better of the show if you have no cares for the dub.

If they changed someone like Vegeta/King Kai/Freeza, it wouldn't be the same nostalgic experience for the dub fans as if they kept as much as the original cast as possible.

I've noticed it's usually the die-hard sub fans that say those voices should change when they couldn't care less about the dub.
I'm very hesitant to respond to this, because (much like with the episode itself), I'd love for the focus to be on the awesome new art book...! Whee!

But, I'll humor everyone.

One of the biggest misconceptions you can make is assuming that just because someone's priority and main interest lies with the original version of something (for argument's sake, let's say "the original Japanese version of DragonBall"), that they don't want an adaptation (for argument's sake, let's say "FUNimation's version of the franchise") to be the best that it can be.

Nonsense.

I want FUNimation's English dub to be the best product on the market. I want it to be awesome. I want it to blow people away. I want it to be completely representative of its amazing original version. Even if it's not something I'm going to watch, it being the most bodacious thing on the planet helps me in a ton of ways:

(1) It may cause people to seek out the original Japanese version, and I'm here and ready with content for them.
(1b) Let's be honest -- it being bad can cause the exact same reaction, but there can be less negativity all-around if this isn't the case.
(2) I can know that people are experiencing the show similar to how much of the rest of the world experiences it -- that lets us have an amazing collective conversation.
(3) Hey, maybe I'll even switch over to it every so often to check in on how well it's being treated.

If the show is *not* being treated with that respect, I have every reason to call out its shenanigans and hope for a better product. In the case of Kai, if FUNimation is willing to concede that the show could use some tough-lovin' to bring it up to speed, then we should expect no less than 110% on that. They have already said "Consistency be damned!" and "Your nostalgia be damned!" with the replacement of certain actors/actresses and phrases, so why accept just a mediocre attempt?

(If your nostalgia glasses are that difficult to remove from your face, well, the first dub from FUNimation isn't going anywhere any time soon. They're phasing it out, but you can still get it, and damn cheap.)

I want that dub to be great. I want to be proud of it AS A DARN TOOTIN' AMERICAN... even if it's not something I'm going to regularly watch.
Freeza Heika wrote:I can definitely relate to marathoning the podcast. I found it around episode 140, and I caught up in about 3 weeks. So... that is about 45 episodes a week, 9 a day.... I have no life :shock:
Like I said on the show, I've done it with certain podcasts before, too! That was back in 2006 or so, though, when most podcasts had only been going for a really short period of time... if they existed AT ALL...

So hey. New book. Here's a sexy Bardock image. It's not a new one, but it's also one that's not in the middle of the damn book and would require me ruining the spine to get.

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Like VegettoEX said, saying that fans shouldn't want an accurate English dub of a show because they can always watch the Japanese version of the show pretty much misses the entire point of making an English dub for an anime altogether.

I mean, sure, I can also play a sound recording of people having a completely unrelated conversation and see if it syncs up to the mouthflaps of the characters in the show and pretend that's the English dub, why not? If I want an accurate version, I should just watch the Japanese version!

Now, I get it, with DBZ, the way it was done those years ago has become the institution of DBZ in North America in a lot of ways. So if so many people enjoy it that way, why change it? Because it misses the point of what DBZ is, not what people want it to be. I guess you can argue that as long as the perception is that Funimation's DBZ dub IS DBZ, then it doesn't matter, for all intents and purposes, that's DBZ, but then there's the big 900 lb gorilla in the room, the fact that most, if not all other English dubs for anime are not done in the way DBZ's dub was done, not even the other dubs done by Funimation.

This is why Kai's dub is so refreshing, since it's actually done in the same way Funimation's other dubs are done, in a more respectful manner, in a way that acknowledges and largely translates the feeling of watching the Japanese program, but just in a different language.

But if there are still little nagging flaws here and there, it's not arrogant to point them out, it's just part of that review. The flaws still exist in the minds of the reviewer, and it's up to them to decide whether those flaws make the product more or less desirable to pursue with their support, via word or purchase, or both.

Anyway, cool! A new DB art book!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:40 am

Freeza Heika wrote:I can definitely relate to marathoning the podcast. I found it around episode 140, and I caught up in about 3 weeks. So... that is about 45 episodes a week, 9 a day.... I have no life :shock:
I actually did that to catch up with this podcast when I first started listening to it. I would sometimes do two a day. Fortunately, there were less than 100 episodes at the time, so I caught up within two months (I caught up on Episode #89).

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:01 am

I just recently got this book. I've been wanting it ever since it was announced. I'm really a sucker for this kinda stuff. When I didn't have this book, I was waiting for someone to scan some damn images. That never happened. Now that I have it, I'll scan some images just for the sake of sharing with people who don't have this book, and also because it's the topic of this weeks podcast.

These are 10 of my favorite from this book...

I love this movie 3 art because everything is wrong. Wrong colors for Hiya Dragon? Check. Wrong colors for Turles's armor? Check. Turles drawn like crap? Check...

This image of Roshi ontop of Teinshinhan, is part of this huge two page image of Goku, Bulma, Oolong and Krillin riding on the Dragon with Piccolo flying next to them while Tienshinhan is struggling to fly with Roshi on his back. I just thought this little scene going on was hillarious...

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 am

As much as I love my Uubshinhan avatar. I just can't resist.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:56 am

Aw, Roshi traded up his baby Gamera for a Tenshinhan.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:49 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: I love this movie 3 art because everything is wrong. Wrong colors for Hiya Dragon? Check. Wrong colors for Tullece's armor? Check.
I'd assume that's because it's an early image made before that kinda of stuff was finalized. For example, the promotional image for the 10th ann. movie that you scanned was a preview image made pretty early in the movie's production, which is why it shows Red with white hair, and Black looking like he does in the original series and not the actual movie.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Herms wrote:I'd assume that's because it's an early image made before that kinda of stuff was finalized.
Yea, I know. I love that kind of stuff. I'm weird like that.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 pm

I absolutely LOVE that Freeza and Vegeta shot!

jameslapatate

Post by jameslapatate » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am

Ahh I'm another one of those people that marathoned through all the episodes. I thought it was a common thing to do and I guess I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the podcast from beginning to the end of it. I've been listening to it awhile now but it took quite a few months to get up to speed with the current episode but at the same time I feel sad that there are no more episodes left to download xD.

In terms of repetition you did repeat yourselves a few times but I do remember Mike reminding Meri that she repeated the same she said a few podcasts ago. I learnt a lot from listening to the podcast and I'm glad I listened to it all.

The podcast also made me listen to the Japanese version more since every time I went to listen to the Japanese and then the English/Funimation version I wouldn't like the Funimation version as much as before and I got scared I wouldn't like it xD. I know I'm probably the only person that thinks like that but I like to enjoy both versions despite the major amount of flaws the Funimation version has.

On the other hand the review of the Illustration book made me really want to buy it. Thanks again guys for making the podcast. I miss Julian and Meri.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 am

I have some questions for those that have the book:

1. Is that "Everyone" image from Daizenshuu TV Animation 3 in here?

2. Is the series specific art work divided up by story arcs (Saiyan arc, Freeza arc, etc)?

3. Aside from what Hujio mentioned on the podcast, what else isn't in this book that does exist?

4. Do Piccolo Daimao and Majin Buu show up in the book at any point?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Majin Buu wrote:I have some questions for those that have the book:

1. Is that "Everyone" image from Daizenshuu TV Animation 3 in here?
Which one are you talking about exactly?
Majin Buu wrote:2. Is the series specific art work divided up by story arcs (Saiyan arc, Freeza arc, etc)?
Everything is divided up by series, which I believe we said on the podcast. But yeah, they're divided up by series and then placed in chronological order per each series.
Majin Buu wrote:3. Aside from what Hujio mentioned on the podcast, what else isn't in this book that does exist?
Here's what I can remember off the top of my head: all the artwork from the Dragon Box individual discs (that's 103 images right there!), the cover of the Jump Super Anime Tour DVD, all the original artwork from the TV animation daizenshuu, all the other original animation from the DBZ Anime Special guides, all the artwork from the TV animation comics (that's another 39 images, which most can be broken up into multiple images), promotional material artwork, etc.
Majin Buu wrote:4. Do Piccolo Daimao and Majin Buu show up in the book at any point?
There are no pictures of Piccolo Daimao or Majin Buu. The book is very Goku specific, which is why I'm hoping there will be others.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 am

Hujio wrote:Which one are you talking about exactly?
The one that's on the other side of the fold out image that has pretty much every single character from Dragon Ball and Z in it. Though I guess you already answered that with the what's missing question so I'm guessing no.

Hmm, it's odd then that there's pictures of some villains that don't have Goku in them.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am

On the next podcast guys, you have to talk about that FUNimation's parent company, Navarre has anime dropped to 15% as I posted on my home page this morning.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am

Nothing good, Daizenshuu 3 better than this!

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:Nothing good, Daizenshuu 3 better than this!
Nothing good?! You're telling me there's nothing good in this new illustration book?! This book is great! Did they leave some things out? Yes. Did they include some never before published illustrations? Yes.

We noted that they left out the Daizenshuu 3, 5, and 6 images. I'm hoping we'll see these in another illustration book, but to say there's nothing good in this book is just asinine. There are many great things in this book.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:00 am

HUJIO ASININE!!!! the book have some images that never release before but still it's nowhere as good as Daizenshuu 1,3,5 or 6!!!!