Kai Episode 61 (13 June 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 61 (13 June 2010)

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:30 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Seems just about equal to the shot in Kai to me.
Yeah, same here. There's hardly a difference.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: It severely irks me when people constantly point out "flaws" in Kai's reanimated scenes that were there in Z's original animation and then act as though Kai created said "flaw".
But see, DBZ came out first, and therefore is better in every way by default. Didn't you get the memo?
Last edited by MR.Mark on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:38 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: It severely irks me when people constantly point out "flaws" in Kai's reanimated scenes that were there in Z's original animation and then act as though Kai created said "flaw".
But see, DBZ come out first, and therefore is better in every way by default. Didn't you get the memo?
It's just like with FUNimation's "remastering". Sure it was terrible (until Season Six where, besides the cropping it became acceptable), but people were always pointing out scenes from the original that had errors such as terrible drawings and mis-colored armor/clothes, and treating them as "flaws" with the "remastering".

I have no idea how they came to those conclusions, as it would be impossible for an automated DVNR process to redraw entire frames in a different style, and recolor entire portions of people's armor. FUNimation would have to do something like that frame-by-frame...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:It's just like with FUNimation's "remastering". Sure it was terrible (until Season Six where, besides the cropping it became acceptable), but people were always pointing out scenes from the original that had errors such as terrible drawings and mis-colored armor/clothes, and treating them as "flaws" with the "remastering".
Wow, I must have missed all that, thankfully. I guess I did sort of ignore anything that had to do with FUNimation's "remastered" season sets.

Anyway, here's the comparison I have for Vegeta's eyes. You'll note that there's a slight difference between the two in how far down the shadow extends. But overall, it's essentially the same. I'll let you guys debate over it. :P

I will say, it does bug me that you can tell that Vegeta is placed in front of the aura in Kai, whereas in Z the aura is on top of him, making it look like the aura is engulfing him instead of him just standing on it. It's much easier to tell in motion, but it still bugs me.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Ah yes, now I see, some of the transparency effect is lost but other than that it's ok.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
But see, DBZ come out first, and therefore is better in every way by default. Didn't you get the memo?
This is kind of a theme here...in a lot of fandoms really.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:09 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Ah yes, now I see, some of the transparency effect is lost
That's something I've noticed. It seems like the Ki flaring around Vegeta is actually behind him, rather than surrounding him.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:22 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Kai then?
No. The purpose of Kai is to entertain, as well as draw a new generation of fans to the Dragon Ball series. Too many cuts in Kai make the series a bit too sloppy. They didn't give enough character development time to Gohan in the early Saiyan episodes, for example.

Plus, the more episodes there are, the more scope there is for new music to be created as well as more episodes to look forward to. Some of the new musical pieces are incredible.

Some of the filler is really entertaining, such as Goku & Piccolo's driving lessons and some of the filler is as good as (and better than some) canon material, such as the Other World Tournament after the Cell Games, I really hope they keep the Other world tournament in Kai.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Kai is follow closely to the Manga! so no filler arc

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:49 am

RazorX wrote:I miss the filler

Well then you might as well be watching Z, that's the point. Kai is trying to be closer to the manga.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:05 am

The point I was trying to make (I don't know about other people) is that some scenes in Kai are reanimated, but it seems pointless because they don't fix the flaws that were in Z. What's the point of retracing shots, making them look inferior and out-of-place anyway, if you're not even going to use the opportunity to fix things like Piccolo's awkwardly shaped head in this episode, or Krillin temporarily reverting to his Kame gi in the Freeza fight?
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:32 pm

They have been fixing certain flaws though, like Zarbon's damaged armor and what not. Image

After viewing the Blu ray, I think the redone stuff is partly done so the show can stand out more in HD. There are some mediocre redone shots, for sure, partly due to the original animation itself being mediocre. But there are also some that look nice in HD, again, partly due to the original "good animation days" shots being traced over.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Hujio wrote:
Anyway, here's the comparison I have for Vegeta's eyes. You'll note that there's a slight difference between the two in how far down the shadow extends. But overall, it's essentially the same. I'll let you guys debate over it. :P

I will say, it does bug me that you can tell that Vegeta is placed in front of the aura in Kai, whereas in Z the aura is on top of him, making it look like the aura is engulfing him instead of him just standing on it. It's much easier to tell in motion, but it still bugs me.
Ironically I was just going through animation comparisons on kanzentai:

In the original animation, Goku has that "on top of the aura" look , where the Kai version appears to be engulfing him. So in the end, I feel Z and Kai both have ups and downs, with no real advantage over the other in terms of animation. At times Kai looks better, at times Z, Pick your poison I suppose.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:59 am

Huh, it looks like they went ahead and extended those SSJ Gokû shots for widescreen. I guess it didn't work very well when cropped. Neat.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Puto wrote:Huh, it looks like they went ahead and extended those SSJ Gokû shots for widescreen. I guess it didn't work very well when cropped. Neat.
Makes you wonder why they didn't just extend the entire series to widescreen instead of cropping it.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 pm

MetalMadness wrote:
makes you wonder why they didn't just extend the entire series to widescreen instead of cropping it
Because if they did that, they'd have to redraw the whole show.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:20 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
MetalMadness wrote:Makes you wonder why they didn't just extend the entire series to widescreen instead of cropping it
Because if they did that, they'd have to redraw the whole show.
Yeah, and who would want that?! *this guy*
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Indeed, the original DBZ animation is inconsistent enough as it is, we don't need more uneven efforts. Ofcourse, if we're talking redraw, as in not retracing the old animation, then I'd be interested.

Though I personally find the new intro animation style for Kai a bit overrated. If they re-did Kai with the style of "Yo, Son Goku and friends return", I'd love it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:34 pm

I'd prefer if they just reanimated the show entirely with new art, new animation, etc. But alas, that'd be way too much work.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, who's not prefer that?