The Dragon Ball Wiki

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The Dragon Ball Wiki

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 am

Mountain wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, you're right! As far as home releases go, DaizEX is much more focused on FUNimation's than Toei's. In fact, their DVD guide is probably the most comprehensive database on FUNimation's DVD releases. So, yeah, they cover "the" dub.
Well yes, they cover FUNimation's DB releases, but not the actual FUNimation dub
So, are you proposing that they cover every dub now? Why would they cover FUNimation's and not every one that exists in the world? How many are there? I have no idea...
No, I'm not proposing that. I'm just saying the statement Sparky made about them covering "everything Dragon Ball" is false, because they don't cover a massive part of it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 am

Well, look at any English-speaking-based fandom. Look at Harry Potter for instance. Sure, certain sites might contribute a section or two to variations in foreign adaptations, but, ultimately, they focus on just the original work. Foreign dubs/translations/adaptations are just periphery, not a massive part of anything. Similarly, DaizEX and Kanzentai focus on the original and cover foreign adaptations as periphery. Makes quite a bit of logical sense both in terms of in-universe canonicity as well as the pursuit of serving a global fanbase.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 am

Considering they recently dedicated an entire podcast to reviewing the Kai dub, I really don't know what else "covering" would consist of. Haha.

www.KristaMichaels.com

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:44 am

Mountain wrote:Considering they recently dedicated an entire podcast to reviewing the Kai dub, I really don't know what else "covering" would consist of. Haha.
Oh really? See, I don't listen to the podcast. I wouldn't want to listen to it anyways, because he'd probably just go on and on about how it sucks and doesn't measure up to the original. I based my claim on the fact that I see very little mentioning the dub on his actual site.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Oh really? See, I don't listen to the podcast. I wouldn't want to listen to it anyways, because he'd probably just go on and on about how it sucks and doesn't measure up to the original. I based my claim on the fact that I see very little mentioning the dub on his actual site.
So the short of it is that you don't know what you're talking about because you apparently can't be bothered to actually research the things you criticize.

Anyway, if you won't listen to the podcast, there does in fact happen to be a lengthy review of the Kai dub on the actual site.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Mountain wrote:Considering they recently dedicated an entire podcast to reviewing the Kai dub, I really don't know what else "covering" would consist of. Haha.
Oh really? See, I don't listen to the podcast. I wouldn't want to listen to it anyways, because he'd probably just go on and on about how it sucks and doesn't measure up to the original. I based my claim on the fact that I see very little mentioning the dub on his actual site.
This is funny because whenever the covnersation gets anywhere near that, Mike himself will steer it away, as he believes everyone already knows how he and his bros feel about the dub, and there's no need to repeat themselves.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:32 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, look at any English-speaking-based fandom. Look at Harry Potter for instance. Sure, certain sites might contribute a section or two to variations in foreign adaptations, but, ultimately, they focus on just the original work. Foreign dubs/translations/adaptations are just periphery, not a massive part of anything. Similarly, DaizEX and Kanzentai focus on the original and cover foreign adaptations as periphery. Makes quite a bit of logical sense both in terms of in-universe canonicity as well as the pursuit of serving a global fanbase.
That's an extremely poor comparison. You're trying to explain a foreign language site covering the original product of something with an example of an original language site covering the original product. What? That makes no sense. The two things aren't even related to each other.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am

How are they not entirely related? It's comparing a fan community covering the original version of a product to... a fan site covering the original version of a product. Native language or location is entirely irrelevant. I fail to see the difference or even what it is you're disagreeing with me on in this overall conversation. :?

Oh, and my post count is totally leet now. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 am

Herms wrote: Anyway, if you won't listen to the podcast, there does in fact happen to be a lengthy review of the Kai dub on the actual site.
His review of Z Kai was the only time he has gone over the dub acting and dialogue in a review for the site. The rest of the reviews don't mention it at all or just flat out say: "The English dub was not spot-checked for performance evaluation."

When reviewing a video game or DVD, one must review all aspects of the medium, not just the aspects that are liked/preferred by the reviewer. Doing otherwise is just bad journalistic skills. You don't see reviewers on ANN not talking about the dub track on a DVD because he/she generally doesn't like dubs.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I really like the reviews on Daizex.com, but this is just something that's been bothering me.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 am

Nice comparison, except you can count the number of times an ANN review actually talks about a show's Japanese cast, performance by performance, on your hand. It's the exact same situation you claim to have a problem with on the subject of Mike's reviews.

This is horribly off-topic, and completely missing the point of what's wrong with DB Wikia by dumbing it down to a simple dub/sub debate.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 am

Mountain wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, you're right! As far as home releases go, DaizEX is much more focused on FUNimation's than Toei's. In fact, their DVD guide is probably the most comprehensive database on FUNimation's DVD releases. So, yeah, they cover "the" dub.
Well yes, they cover FUNimation's DB releases, but not the actual FUNimation dub
So, are you proposing that they cover every dub now? Why would they cover FUNimation's and not every one that exists in the world? How many are there? I have no idea...
The namings of the characters are also found on the FUNimation Dragon Boxes... Pretty clever. :wink:
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 am

Herms wrote:I recognize that this can be a very difficult hurdle to get across, because most of the English-speaking DB fandom is more familiar with the anime than the manga, but it’s a hurdle that you’re really going to have to cross if you want your wiki to be a respectable source of DB information. Again, would you take a Harry Potter wiki seriously if it only used the movies as a source? A DB fan who hasn’t read the manga is not informed enough about the story to write an accurate DB wiki. Remember, the Viz translation of the manga is freely available. There is no valid reason for anyone writing for your wiki to not be familiar with it. If someone doesn’t want to go through the trouble of familiarizing themselves with the manga, they’re certainly free not to, but they are not qualified to write for your wiki.
Is it simply because the site carries the name "Wiki" that you think they should adhere to these suggestions? (Kinda like: there's an expectation to be as factual as possible?)

Also:

Do you think it would be more appropriate to label the Wiki as such:
The Dragonball FUNimation Wiki?
Wouldn't that solve just about every problem?
-Questrider

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 am

Questrider wrote:Is it simply because the site carries the name "Wiki" that you think they should adhere to these suggestions? (Kinda like: there's an expectation to be as factual as possible?)
Well I think if you're going to make a site that acts as a guide for a series it always helps to be as factual as possible. Being a wiki doesn't have anything to do with it.
Do you think it would be more appropriate to label the Wiki as such:
The Dragonball FUNimation Wiki?
Wouldn't that solve just about every problem?
Not even remotely. As we've seen in this thread, far too much of this DB wiki consists of claims that are not true of any version of the series (the legendary Super Saiyan blowing up the Saiyan home world, prophecies about the Super Saiyan coming from King Vegeta's bloodline, etc). If they retitled it the "DragonBall Random Fan BS Wiki" maybe then we'd be getting somewhere. As is, if the contributors to the wiki want it to be based mainly on the Funi dub, they should make sure the "in-universe" information in their articles actually comes from the Funi dub, and isn't just pure nonsense like much of it seems to be.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

^Your response made perfect sense.
Thanks for clearing that up in my brain.

I momentarily forgot that the issues with the site went far beyond the editors not using the manga as their source.

If a site is to be a guide of any kind, then yeah, I agree: they need to be specific as far as what type fo guide they are trying to provide.
(Which includes the expectation of having factual information)
-Questrider

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's clear they have no understanding of what Daizenshuu EX (or Kanzentai for that matter) is -- they're assuming this forum = this/those websites in their entirety (RE: people who take issue with minor articles, and going on to assume that I'm somehow jealous that I don't have that article on my website).

Also... for fuck's sake, can someone make it clear that SilverPlaqueVII does not speak as an authority figure on anyone's behalf? Someone who can't speak English well shouldn't be acting as some ambassador on an English-language encyclopedia about a Japanese franchise.
Oh well, time to do my overhaul....
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:02 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I second Gaffer's notion. At the end of the day we all love Dragon Ball...well, most of us. hah
I hate to be a pessimist about this, but I don't think a statement like that reflects the reality of the situation. Yes, we all like Dragon Ball, but as I've said before in another thread, we sadly do not love the same Dragon Ball, and I think this situation is a prime example of that. A statement like this glosses over that fact, albeit in an altruistic attempt to give common ground to these two sides

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:I second Gaffer's notion. At the end of the day we all love Dragon Ball...well, most of us. hah
I hate to be a pessimist about this, but I don't think a statement like that reflects the reality of the situation. Yes, we all like Dragon Ball, but as I've said before in another thread, we sadly do not love the same Dragon Ball, and I think this situation is a prime example of that. A statement like this glosses over that fact, albeit in an altruistic attempt to give common ground to these two sides
Oh, don't take my comment wrong. In fact, your reasoning is why I said "well, most of us" because what they have done is butcher the facts with random fan nonsense. I can also understand separating the dub and Japanese original as two different entities. However, I feel that even if someone is a dub-only type of fan, as long as they know the difference between facts and inaccuracies it's all the same in the end. It's all about educating yourself. :P Anyway, with the Kai dub, the gap between fandoms is getting smaller, I think.
Trans rights, now!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I think it would be better if the DB wiki was a member only wiki so things would be a lot nicer looking if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:46 pm

OK, this is from the "Zorn" article:
Zorn is an anime-only Saiyan character and appears in one of Freeza's flashbacks. He stands to the right of King Vegeta's throne and briefly pleads with him to not hand over Prince Vegeta to the tyrant. King Vegeta angrily responds that he has no choice in the matter. Zorn perished with the rest of the Saiyans in 737 Age when Freeza blew up the planet or possibly died along with the King and other Elite Saiyans during their failed assassination attempt on Freeza.
Well, the messenger was an unnamed Saiyan. So, is that made-up or something. Jake, Mike, Rachel, Heath, Matt: Help me out here.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Scarface
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Shorty

Those are two Pendulum Saiyans from Kyôshū! Saiya-jin It can be considered tertiary status.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Just glancing at those pages, the need for a consistent style guide remains clear. The former lists the title in Japanese, translation, and dub titles, while the latter just has a single dub title.