Kokoro No Hane (DBK Outro Theme) Single. Dissection!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Kokoro No Hane (DBK Outro Theme) Single. Dissection!

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 am

Hi...

So, I wasn't originally gonna do a dissection about this CD. I don't know what changed my mind. I think it was because after I scanned the cover art for myself, I figured someone might want this too. Then people couldn't watch the video I posted on youtube from the bonus DVD, so I figured I'll just throw up some scans, a video and call it a dissection! Be warned though, I feel very talkative tonight.

So here it is. The cover art for special edition of the Kokoro No Hane single. I gotta say, I don't love it. I don't hate it. It's the classic "we are just standing here, that's how bad ass we are" pose with the Earth behind it almost saying "wait a minute! how did you get over there?! You're suppose to be in here!", but they don't care. No. Look at those eyes.

But then again I guess it was better then the other cover I could have chosen... (picture taken from PlayAsia.com).

Is it because I'm not really familiar with this band that I just dismiss it as crappy? Maybe. But I honestly don't think a DragonBall fan would pick this cover over the one with Goku and company. Sure you could argue that, if you're a fan of AKB48 but not DragonBall, you might like this cover. But it's just a single. So why even bother with the actual physical product when you could download it on iTunes or something, and I understand the point of the special edition is to make people buy a single. But the extras are mostly DragonBall related so you probably wouldn't want those if your not a fan of DragonBall. I guess it's just a marketing thing? I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me why this cover works.

This next image is from the back of the booklet (the front of the booklet being the cover art). Why do all of these women seem scared, bored or confused? Must be a Japanese thing. That's how all the cool people in Japan take pictures now.

Next is the disc. This particular scan is of the DVD but, the two discs have the exact same image and color scheme.

The back of the CD has the same image as the one from the booklet.

You know what sucks though? When I first got the CD I saw the back and thought it was a pretty nice little image of Goku and Gohan. But then I took it out of the plastic, and it fell to the floor. It was just a piece of paper. How sad. I was even gonna try to put this paper in the CD case as the back cover but it was too big and I didn't want to cut it...

This edition came with some cards for that Miracle Battle Carddass game I'll never play.

It also came with a DVD. (I know they seem blue, sorry my VLC player was really messing up, but that's another story...)

I'll admit, I had absolutely no idea what the Hell was on the DVD but I went ahead and bought it anyway. I'm glad I did. I was expecting maybe the closing animation to DragonBall Kai or something like that but, no, I got a live performance, a music video (which was confusing, but entertaining) and a really awesome feature where AKB48 went to see how they do the voices for DragonBall Kai! Awesome!

In the feature the girls just happen to walk in on Nozawa Masako & Horikawa Ryou as they record lines for the show!

We get some video of Goku and Vegeta back and forth dialogue, and eventually some battle scenes. It's actually pretty interesting. After the session they invite the girls to try and voice some minor characters... or, just the same character with three different voices.

When I was watching this I thought it was awesome, and it was. I wanted to share some of this with other fans, mostly people from here. This feature was about 15 minutes long. I cut a video clip together of about a minute or so and put it on youtube. I later found out that Columbia (or should I say columbia) was blocking it. So I just tossed it on MegaUpload. This clip is of Nozawa Masako & Horikawa Ryou doing their Goku and Vegeta voices. It's really amazing. Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5SP0EDAS

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kokoro No Hane (DBK Outro Theme) Single. Dissection!

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:37 am

Whoa, that was unexpected! Hmmm, I'm seriously considering picking this up now. Nice dissection, anyway. :P

Dbzbabe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dbzbabe » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:44 am

THANK YOU so much for posting this! : )))))!! Seeing a pic of the two recording lines makes me fangasm!! : D
Tackle life with as much energy as Goku! I'll try to do the same! - Akira Toriyama

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 am

That's awesome that they wrote "Wings of the Heart" in English on the back of the booklet, meaning my translation was actually correct. Nice!

Anyway, great dissection as always Tanooki!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:50 am

So Kai's keeping Kuririn's filler fight with Cell! More Wakamoto is good Wakamoto.

Also, this is the first time we've ever heard Nozawa say 'Kaiô-ken 2!' so that was really awesome. I guess they decided to record the scene again for the heck of it.

In a way, I think they almost did better there than in the actual Kai. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 am

JulieYBM wrote:Also, this is the first time we've ever heard Nozawa say 'Kaiô-ken 2!' so that was really awesome. I guess they decided to record the scene again for the heck of it.

Thanks for mentioning that, since I completely forgot to. But yeah, this wasn't the actual recording session for that scene. They simply pretended it was a recording session, since I doubt they were even recording those lines because neither the audio or recording directors are even there; it's just some guy sitting in the back running the video. Either way though, still pretty damn cool!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 am

Hujio wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Also, this is the first time we've ever heard Nozawa say 'Kaiô-ken 2!' so that was really awesome. I guess they decided to record the scene again for the heck of it.

Thanks for mentioning that, since I completely forgot to. But yeah, this wasn't the actual recording session for that scene. They simply pretended it was a recording session, since I doubt they were even recording those lines because neither the audio or recording directors are even there; it's just some guy sitting in the back running the video. Either way though, still pretty damn cool!
Does the director typically sit inside the booth with the actors? O.o
She/Her
bisexual milf

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:39 am

JulieYBM wrote:Does the director typically sit inside the booth with the actors? O.o
No, they'd be back by that guy that was running the video. The sieyuu are usually all by themselves in the recording room.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Fuck this song, it's stuck in my head! :x

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Thank you for posting up that clip and also the dissection of the CD.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Again, Tanooki's outdone himself with his show-and-tell :D.

I get that that wasn't an actual recording session, but is it normal for more than one voice actor to be able to record with another voice actor? From what I've picked up from American shows, that's a pretty rare thing to be able to do.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:14 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Again, Tanooki's outdone himself with his show-and-tell :D.

I get that that wasn't an actual recording session, but is it normal for more than one voice actor to be able to record with another voice actor? From what I've picked up from American shows, that's a pretty rare thing to be able to do.
Pretty much all anime seem to do that in Japan. Kanzentai reports all the time when a voice actor blogs about recording together. Heck, Furukawa and Wakamoto recently did a session together. I know just about the entire cast (save Ryûzaburô Ôtomo, King Cold) went out for drinks after recording #56.

I also seem to recall hearing the One Piece cast having trouble recording episode #312 because they kept crying, and I'm sure a booth full of a dozen other people bawling isn't going to help that.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 pm

In Japan, or at least at Toei, episodes are recorded with all of the main seiyuu in a big booth, or room. They all record their lines simultaneously together. There are typically two takes, with the first one being sort of a practice run. They'll play the episode footage in front of the seiyuu on a large screen, with no musical score, and the seiyuu read their lines from the script. The audio director will sit with the recording director in the control booth behind the recording booth and will try to guide the seiyuu along and make sure everything sounds good. It typically takes about an hour or so to record the dialogue for a single episode.

Now in America, things are done a little different for anime voice acting. Each actor enters a tiny booth and records only their own lines for that specific episode. They can usually do a number of alternate takes, depending on time constraints. In Japan, you typically only have two shots to get it right, and they'll take whichever one sounds better. Each way has its own benefits and downfalls. In Japan you're interacting with the other characters, or seiyuu, so you can gauge the entire conversation and more accurately insert emotion into the voice that's needed. However, if you screw up the first time, you basically only have one more shot at it. In North America there's nearly no interaction, except between the voice actor and the director. That's why the dialogue sometimes sounds off, or that the emotion doesn't quite match the scene, especially in early DragonBall Z. But you can re-record one specific line, like 10 times.

So there you go. Hope that helps!

Oh, on a side note, One Piece and Kai are recorded in the same studio, back-to-back. This is mostly done because there are so many seiyuu that are involved in both series. I know Furukawa (Piccolo) has noted on his blog numerous times that he has hung out with the One Piece cast after their recording sessions.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I do remember hearing that they did a 'table read' of sorts before doing the main recording, so that must be helpful. Furukawa and Tanaka are going to stuck in those booths for two hours for the next half year, though. :p I like the idea of recording the entire cast at once so they can play off of each other, but I'd guess FUNimation's not financially capable of just recording one episode at a time. :sweat:

I have to wonder what happens if they screw up a line both times, though. :p
She/Her
bisexual milf

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:08 pm

THIS. IS. BRILLIANT.

Thank you Tanooki Kuribo for this awesome dissection. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:38 am

That clip with Ms. Nozawa and Mr. Horikawa reading their lines was awesome! X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 pm

So you didn't get the first press release of it because the first press release included a poster but it's only a picture of the AKB48 members anyway, so whatever.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Have those blue script booklets for Kai been popping up on online retail sites yet? I've seen the the DBZ ones a few times on Yahoo Auctions.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Those girls give me the creeps :///
Wheew, but can't wait for the upcoming Kai CD.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks for the lyrics Herms and Hujio! Mine is always like 17% closer. I can do better next time.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads