Kai Episode 71 (5 September 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 71 (5 September 2010)

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 pm

dan2026 wrote:
Ussj Future Trunks wrote:What did the next episode preview show?
Piccolo fighting #17

Goku reuniting with everyone

Vegeta and Trunks in the Room of Time and Spirit.
Nice! I think it's only 2 more weeks until we get to see Cell's 2nd form! The pacing of Kai is really good!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm working on the Kai episode update for Kanzentai, and I came across a couple interesting tidbits that I noticed hadn't been thrown out yet. First of all, because there was so much filler included in this episode, it only covered a single chapter (365). I will say though, the filler worked really well and I have no issue with its use at all. I just thought it was interesting since they've been consistently hitting 2.5 to 3 chapters per episode lately.

The last two things are credit related, so it's really no surprise I caught them, right? Anyway, Yanami Jouji is actually credited as "Bluma's Dad". This may not seem like that big of a deal to most, but this is the first time in DragonBall anime history that he has ever been credited as such. He has always been credited as "Doctor Brief", whereas his wife has always been credited as "Bulma's Mom". For some reason, whoever was doing the credits decided to go with that, and thus making DragonBall credit history.

Finally, the older sister that Krillin protected from Cell was voiced by Takahashi Minami. So, who is she you ask? Well, she's the lead member of none other than... AKB48! That's right, AKB48! So it turns out that Tanooki made a thread a while back dissecting the new "Kokoro no Hane" single. The CD came with a bonus DVD that featured a recording session of this particular filler scene (shown below). Most of us passed this footage off as simply them goofing around, or something to that effect, since multiple members took turns voicing the character. Well, the session with Takahashi Minami was apparently real...

So, we have yet again another example of stunt casting in Kai. However, this time they went even further and actually list that she's a member of AKB48 in the credits. Moreover, I guess I'm just surprised that none of us caught on to this earlier, since the board is filled with so many smarty pants.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I figured this would happen. I was actually just waiting for you to bring it up, though. :oops:

It's hardly anything to 'up-in-arms' about, I think. Had I not known I'd have thought she was a just a regular background voice actor (of which the franchise has so many, Tetsu Inada-san).

Although at this rate she might wind up taking over Dende for the remained of the series. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It's hardly anything to 'up-in-arms' about, I think.
Oh, I'm by no means "up-in-arms" about it. I was just pointing it out. It is what it is at this point.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Hujio wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It's hardly anything to 'up-in-arms' about, I think.
Oh, I'm by no means "up-in-arms" about it. I was just pointing it out. It is what it is at this point.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were. I was just speaking to the general reaction from such an act.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 am

Its nothing unusual for celebrities to play bit parts in productions they are loosely related to.
See: Stan Lee in every Marvel movie.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:25 am

The ''Kokoro no Hane'' review on the podcast mentioned this recording session with that particular filler scene. Although it wasn't spelled out clearly that they would use it for real in DBKai, I went ahead and assumed it was going to be used anyway.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 am

dan2026 wrote:Its nothing unusual for celebrities to play bit parts in productions they are loosely related to.
Well, I wouldn't say it's like that. Maybe if Toriyama did a voice. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
dan2026 wrote:Its nothing unusual for celebrities to play bit parts in productions they are loosely related to.
Well, I wouldn't say it's like that. Maybe if Toriyama did a voice. :P
Maybe the voice of Tori-Bot? :lol:

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Oh noes, a mainstream anime series has a pop song during the end credits! Artistic integrity down the crapper! :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 pm

I do find it a tad hilarious that they felt the need to point out that she was in AKB48 in the credits. As if the stunt casting itself wasn't enough, they just had to draw attention to it in case you didn't notice. Since someone already brought it up, I guess it would be analogous to this:

Random Bystander......... Stan Lee (you know, the guy who created Spider-Man... we put him in the movie!) :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I do find it a tad hilarious that they felt the need to point out that she was in AKB48 in the credits. As if the stunt casting itself wasn't enough, they just had to draw attention to it in case you didn't notice. Since someone already brought it up, I guess it would be analogous to this:

Random Bystander......... Stan Lee (you know, the guy who created Spider-Man... we put him in the movie!) :lol:
No it's not. She does not have a huge influence or impact on the series. If it was Toriyama we would be having a different discussion.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Gee, thanks for totally missing my point. :roll: It had nothing to do with who it was. It's just funny they felt the need to specify what was important about that person.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 pm

I think AgitoZ was trying to say is that AKB48 is no Stan Lee, and I agree with him. I'm not at all surprised they went out of their way to "point it out".