Dragon Box GT vs. Green Bricks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Dragon Box GT vs. Green Bricks

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 am

I know there've been countless Dragon Box Z versus Orange Bricks threads, and it's clear to see which is the superior product.

I've seen a Dragon Box versus Blue Brick thread and it seems like the Dragon Box was the clear winner again.

However, the Green Bricks didn't seem as... vibrant as the Orange and Blue Bricks, or at least not that I remember. Can we get a Dragon Box GT and Green Brick comparison shot or two or have we seen too many of these threads by now?

I'm just curious how they stack up. I did a search but I couldn't find a thread that compares them.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Box GT vs. Green Bricks

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:19 am

GT was darker in color in general, that is one of reasons it seems so out of place with the other series.
The GT sets were comparable to the first DVDs. The sets did not have next episode previews and did not have alternate titles if I remember. I bought them, because they were cheap and easy to collect and I wanted to watch the dub with an appropriate score(IMO).
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:48 am

Luckily my comparison post is still up. Green Brick screens were provided by Metalwario64, Dragon Box from my collection.

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:59 am

Alrighty, thanks! Seems pretty much the same aside from film grain.

How'd they do an ok job on DB & GT but mess up Z so bad?
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:10 am

I know it's not entirely relevant to this topic, but didn't someone also take screencaps of FUNimation's singles that looked basically exactly like the Dragon Box aside from the framing being slightly different?
­

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:17 am

Taku speaks the truth; in fact, I think the singles even had a bit more picture information. The only problem is the bitrate.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 am

I actually found GTs VHS tapes better than the dvds because of the bitrate issue. If your lucky you can get GT for less than $200 from Yahoo Auctions JP, or just get FUNis old singles. I don't even remember the next ep previews with US GT..

FUNimation doesn't have to release GT in DBOX format as their older(better) masters were practically the same. They should just re-release those with better bitrates.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:23 am

Taku128 wrote:I know it's not entirely relevant to this topic, but didn't someone also take screencaps of FUNimation's singles that looked basically exactly like the Dragon Box aside from the framing being slightly different?
In screencaps, they probably look comparable. However, screencaps do not provide a proper comparison of the releases in motion.

In motion, the Funimation singles are terrible. The grain and damage is excessive, and it's aggravated by terrible encoding and macroblocking all over the damn place. The green bricks are vastly better looking.

The only thing I'd say is that the green brick screens look slightly blurrier than the Dragon Box. Not enough to call it unwatchable or even terribly noticeable though. If it weren't for the missing previews and lack of alternate angles, I'd have trouble saying a Dragon Box would even be worth the upgrade.

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:37 am

If your into video editing and have the tools(prepare to spend a ton of this "$") you can actually make the season sets practically look like the dragon boxes but of course the editing would be extensive work though. I've done it for personal purposes so it's possible, just don't expect anything less than $500 software to handle it though.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:33 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Yeah, the "Remastered" seems to darken the footage and severely blur them. ?
AnimeMaakuo wrote: -As to my first question.. What on earth was FUNimation thinking?

Not that is "sucks," but why did they have to blur it and bland the colors so?
C'mon now, there's only really a slight difference in quality. Yes, the Dragon Box is better, but not by much.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 am

I can't really understand Daizex's love for the DBoxes.

The image itself is amazing, there's no denying that, but the grain is ridiculous, especially in motion. I guess because I've adjusted to watching so much in digital and grainless, when I watch the DBoxes it just really, really bothers me.

GT isn't bad though because it's the most recent one out of the 3, so there's less grain, but that's just my opinion.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am

Honestly, the grain's hardly noticeable on my TV. It really only becomes noticeable when it's not in motion and obviously screencapped from the computer. However, everyone else is right about the singles. The quality issues are very easy to spot.

gallagtor
Beyond Newbie

Post by gallagtor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:If your into video editing and have the tools(prepare to spend a ton of this "$") you can actually make the season sets practically look like the dragon boxes but of course the editing would be extensive work though. I've done it for personal purposes so it's possible, just don't expect anything less than $500 software to handle it though.
Why would you want to add MORE fake digital effects? I think the appeal of the Dragon Boxes is that they aren't heavily processed like the season sets.
"Look at these guns baybah! Peow, peow!" -Broli

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:44 pm

gallagtor wrote:Why would you want to add MORE fake digital effects? I think the appeal of the Dragon Boxes is that they aren't heavily processed like the season sets.
Heavily processed isn't the exact term I'd use. I think it's "not being fed through a machine" that works here. :p

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:53 pm

The so-called "blurring" from the DVNR process in the GT Season Sets is barely even noticeable. You have to actually get close and look for it to even tell, and there's no actual loss of detail, at least not anywhere NEAR the level of the early Z bricks. I'd say the only real advantage the DBoxes have is that they're progressive-encoded, rather than interlaced like the Season Sets.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:24 pm

In my opinion,both Bricks and singles have very similar quality to Dragon Box,it make me wonder through,why 2nd opening {the one with Baby} look so terrible on singles :?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 pm

From what I heard (can't confirm myself), the second opening looks horrible in the first episode it's used on in the DBox, too. And that's apparently the one FUNimation picked to clean up and remove the text of.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 pm

I like how the season sets don't have all the little dots in the background.
El Conejo Malo

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:That's incredible! I never watched my GT Dbox in a long while.. I never knew the difference would be so stunning. At first I was like oh.. then when I looked at it again, I was like.. OH MY!.. Yeah, the "Remastered" seems to darken the footage and severely blur them. I can definitely tell the difference. Not by a smudge, but by the specific detailing. The Dbox GT is no doubt stunning. o_o.

Edit* The DBox footage looks freshly drawn, I can't point this out enough. It as if the picture comes to life. The picture seems to get brighter in detail as well. Notice how Uub's cloths get so bright.. It's truly amazing.

-As to my first question.. What on earth was FUNimation thinking?

Not that is "sucks," but why did they have to blur it and bland the colors so?
No freaking way? Is the picture THAT much different? Is it really worth pointing out? Does it REALLY bring the picture to life?(Which is physically impossible no matter how awesome it looks)Does it REALLY make the Green bricks look that bad? Does it REALLY even matter? The answer to all those questions, is No.
El Conejo Malo