Turtle Hermal Ha?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Turtle Hermal Ha?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:23 pm

Let me start by saying, I barley know any Japanese. With that said, is the translation to Ka Me Ha Me Ha be somthing like Turtle Hermal Ha?
Ok I say this because...

Kame - To my understanding means turtle
Hame - A Nonsence word, but it rymes with Kame wich means turtle.

So in Japanese do they say Turtle (Nonsence word that rymes with turtle) Ha? If so that sounds pretty cheesy.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Turtle Hermal Ha?

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:28 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Let me start by saying, I barley know any Japanese. With that said, is the translation to Ka Me Ha Me Ha be somthing like Turtle Hermal Ha?
Ok I say this because...

So in Japanese do they say Turtle (Nonsence word that rymes with turtle) Ha? If so that sounds pretty cheesy.
If that's the case you'd get "Turtle Hurtle Ha". Either way I'm still surprised FUNi didn't dub it to "TURTLE BLUEBEAM SMASH!":P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:04 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Let me start by saying, I barley know any Japanese. With that said, is the translation to Ka Me Ha Me Ha be somthing like Turtle Hermal Ha?
Ok I say this because...

If that's the case you'd get "Turtle Hurtle Ha". Either way I'm still surprised FUNi didn't dub it to "TURTLE BLUEBEAM SMASH!":P
That name would have sucked. Though the idea of alternate names for it is kind of funny. What if they made it "Great King of Hawaii Blast"! :lol:

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:55 pm

How about "Hawaian Punch" :wink:

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:11 pm

Mmmm...punch. But, there really isn't a translation for Kamehameha. The Hawaiian king's name fits because of the Kame (turtle) and Ha (I think it's some sort of blast or shot or something) parts. It's just a pun.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:17 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:How about "Hawaian Punch" :wink:
It was already trademarked. :wink:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:48 pm

I still think the dub should have used "Heck's Squish" for "Hell's Flash."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:00 am

Mizugi wrote:I still think the dub should have used "Heck's Squish" for "Hell's Flash."
Which episode was that in again? It's been awhile since I've seen it and I forgot which it was.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:54 am

Mizugi wrote:I still think the dub should have used "Heck's Squish" for "Hell's Flash."
HFIL BLASTER!!!

...Bugh, that really sucked the big one...I need to come up with something better...

Blasters...FIARGH!!! :lol:

Sho™
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sho™ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:25 am

Super Sonic wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
Ok I say this because...

That name would have sucked. Though the idea of alternate names for it is kind of funny. What if they made it "Great King of Hawaii Blast"! :lol:
Did anyone forget the arcade warcry? Shinkuu Hadou-ken! Street Fighter possibly ripped off DBZ in that respect, you have to admit.
[i]"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time..."[/i]
[| [url=http://rpg.naget.com]Ganadu'r - The Eternal Saga[/url] |]

Corvus Moore

Post by Corvus Moore » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 pm

Its all over fighting games,like Joe Higashis charge up pose in the later King of Fighter games which is a replica of the kamehameha pose,just one of hte many other lil rip-offs/features and homages.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:00 pm

In the most recent Kirby game that came out, when you eat one of the "fighter" monsters, one of your attacks is a kamehameha. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Let the fun begin...
  • 1) Let us break up the word: かめ はめ 波 (Kame Hame Ha)
    2) You may have seen Kamehameha written in Japanese as かめはめは, however this is incorrect if you want a true translation. So I'm going to use the 波 ('naim') character instead of は ('ha') because I want an accurate translation. Note: the character 波 can be read as 'nami', in this case it is read as 'ha' because it's Hiragana or Phonetic is the character は, pronounced 'ha'
    3) Translating the first word (かめ, Kame) gives us Turtle.
    4) Translating the second word (はめ, Hame) gives us Destructive. (This may be incorrect, but it is the closest I could get, Julian?)
    5) Finally, translating the last word (波, pronounced Ha) gives us Wave.
    6) So if we put all the pieces together we end up with Turtle Destructive Wave or The Destructive Turtle Wave.
Also I'd like to point out that, at least to me, it is very redundant to write 'The Kamehameha Wave', because as we see above you're basically saying the Turtle Destructive Wave Wave... huh?!? I guess it's just something that bothers me, anyway, I hope this helps you out a little bit. Feel free to ask or comment if something doesn't make sense. :D

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Sho™ wrote: Did anyone forget the arcade warcry? Shinkuu Hadou-ken! Street Fighter possibly ripped off DBZ in that respect, you have to admit.
I wouldn't be surprised, back in 1987 (when the first SF was released) , DB was something big in Japan, so the idea of throwing ki-blasts into the fray would've seemed like a good idea at the time to get fans.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:28 pm

Thanks, Hujio. I knew I had heard "Turtle Destruction Blast" before. Close enough, maybe.

And "kamehameha wave" always annoyed me, too. Glad I'm not alone.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:00 am

I don't think hame meaning "destruction" is really very reasonable.

The word in question with that meaning would be 破滅 hametsu. Problem is, it's 破(は)ha 滅(めつ)metsu, not 破(はめ)hame 滅(つ)tsu; on-readings aren't broken up that way. The つ tsu from 滅 wouldn't just be dismissed like that in a compound.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:52 am

What TripleRach said, and for the same reason.

I would like to know how Kamehameha is translated into Chinese (and subesquently, out of Chinese), since it may in fact be along the lines of "Turtle Destruction Wave." If that's the case, then I'll go along with it as a footnote/corollary.

(edit)
Some quick websearching shows that depending on which version you're referring to, Kamehameha in Chinese is either:
龜波氣功 ("Turtle wave Ki-blast") or
龜派氣功 ("Turtle school Ki-blast").

("Turtle wave" and "Turtle school" both read as "Kameha" in Japanese, so it looks to me like a case of translator's choice)