The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Draconic
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Draconic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 am

I just recently finished watching Dragon Ball and noticed that Goku's name is being mispronounced by the announcer. Is there more to the joke, like the name's writing meaning something else or what?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 am

In episode 21 of "DragonBall", the Tenka-ichi Budokai announcer mis-reads Goku's name. What he speaks aloud is "Magogosora" (well, "Magogosora-san"). What he's doing is mis-reading the first and last kanji... and not so much "mis-reading" as he is using alternate readings of the same kanji. He reads the first kanji as "mago" instead of "son", the second one correctly as "go", and the third as "sora" instead of "kuu". Yamcha peeps over at the list and corrects his reading as "Son Goku".

It's not the last time he'll mis-read someone's name; you'll remember that he later reads Chiaotzu's name as "gyoza" (a Japanese reading) instead of "chiaotzu" (a Chinese reading).
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:17 am

Draconic wrote:I just recently finished watching Dragon Ball and noticed that Goku's name is being mispronounced by the announcer. Is there more to the joke, like the name's writing meaning something else or what?
"Mago Gosora" would be alternate readings of the kanji that make up the name 孫悟空 (or "Son Gokuu"). We get a similar joke the next tournament when the announcer speaks a character's name aloud as "gyoza" (the Japanese reading of the kanji for the little white clown character who shows up with Tenshinhan).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Thank you. I figured that he must have been using another reading, but thought there was more to it. :D
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:01 am

So, in the latest episode of Super, we see that Goku & Vegeta can now sense the ki of the gods. But in Ressurection "F", the translations seem to indicate that they can't sense the ki of the gods. As TheDevilsCorpse says:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Maybe it's different in the original Japanese and loses something upon translation, but the way the script translation is phrased by Herms and the way Simmons translated the line for Funi's subs on the film make it pretty clear that they just can't sense god ki.
  • "We got in touch with Whis and he brought us over. I can’t sense your guys’ ki, so there was no other way." --Herms/script

"We contacted Whis-san, and had him bring us over. We ain't able to sense your ki, so that's the only thing we could do." --Simmons/subs
Both translations mention it in the present tense, while standing right there next to both Beerus and Whis.
So, is it in present tense in the Japanese as well?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SSJ God

Post by SSJ God » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I just wanted some clarification on this quote.

Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P6.1-2
Context: after Majin Boo quickly reaches full power
Kaioshin: “Th-that’s impossible…Wh-why has Goku’s damage energy [filled it up] already…!?”
Gohan: “…I-I know…! Father is fighting at a level that has further surpassed Super Saiyan…Vegeta probably is too…If two incredible powers like that clash, th-the damage is astounding too…!”

Goku has further surpassed Super Saiyan compared to what? What's the context here?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:48 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, in the latest episode of Super, we see that Goku & Vegeta can now sense the ki of the gods. But in Ressurection "F", the translations seem to indicate that they can't sense the ki of the gods. As TheDevilsCorpse says:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Maybe it's different in the original Japanese and loses something upon translation, but the way the script translation is phrased by Herms and the way Simmons translated the line for Funi's subs on the film make it pretty clear that they just can't sense god ki.
  • "We got in touch with Whis and he brought us over. I can’t sense your guys’ ki, so there was no other way." --Herms/script

"We contacted Whis-san, and had him bring us over. We ain't able to sense your ki, so that's the only thing we could do." --Simmons/subs
Both translations mention it in the present tense, while standing right there next to both Beerus and Whis.
I think that's implying that Goku couldn't sense their Ki all the way from Earth, like he couldn't sense Vegeta's in Super.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:45 am

SSJ God wrote:Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I just wanted some clarification on this quote.

Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P6.1-2
Context: after Majin Boo quickly reaches full power
Kaioshin: “Th-that’s impossible…Wh-why has Goku’s damage energy [filled it up] already…!?”
Gohan: “…I-I know…! Father is fighting at a level that has further surpassed Super Saiyan…Vegeta probably is too…If two incredible powers like that clash, th-the damage is astounding too…!”

Goku has further surpassed Super Saiyan compared to what? What's the context here?
The "level that has further surpassed Super Saiyan" in question is Super Saiyan 2. Phrasing like that is how it was always referred to in-universe, until Gokuu gave it the number during the introduction of SSJ3.

Although if it's the "further" part that you're concerned with, Gohan used the same word for further (さらに) to describe his own SSJ2 transformation to Kibito at the Budoukai. It might be a way of distinguishing SSJ2 from Trunks and Vegeta's bulky forms (USSJ, Ascended... I forget the exact official names). Either that or it's just extra emphasis on the fact that there's a form greater than SSJ.
-Rachel

SSJ God

Post by SSJ God » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Ah ok, that's what I was asking. And yes, while watching the anime I did notice he said that to Kibito. Thanks. Oh how about Vegeta's comment about Goku surpassing the Super Saiyan wall, did Vegeta say " as expected " or something of that nature?

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 pm

SSJ God wrote:Ah ok, that's what I was asking. And yes, while watching the anime I did notice he said that to Kibito. Thanks. Oh how about Vegeta's comment about Goku surpassing the Super Saiyan wall, did Vegeta say " as expected " or something of that nature?
From Herms' Strength Checker
Chapter: 451 (DBZ 257), P10.5
Context: after Goku makes Yakon explode with his Super Saiyan aura
Vegeta: “So that bastard Kakarot has also surpassed that wall…The Super Saiyan wall…”

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, in the latest episode of Super, we see that Goku & Vegeta can now sense the ki of the gods. But in Ressurection "F", the translations seem to indicate that they can't sense the ki of the gods. As TheDevilsCorpse says:

I think that's implying that Goku couldn't sense their Ki all the way from Earth, like he couldn't sense Vegeta's in Super.
That's what I thought too, but Goku says that he can't sense their ki, not that he couldn't sense their ki, which would imply that Goku can't sense godly ki at all.

Which is why I ask, can the original statement alternatively be translated as "couldn't sense", or there is no other way to translate it but "can't sense"? If it's "couldn't", it would mean that Goku just couldn't sense them because they were too far away, like in Super. If it's "can't", it would mean that Goku can't sense godly ki, unlike in Super.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 am

The original line for anyone who wants it.
For what it's worth, I think you can stretch it to "we couldn't pick out your ki".

ビルス「そんなの見りゃ分かるよ どうやって来たんだってこと」
悟空 「ウイスさんにれんらくして 一緒に連れてきてもらったんだ
    あんたたちは気が どらえらんねぇから そうするしかねぇんだよ」

---

May I ask for the original Japanese for this question?

[quote="Volume "F" - Akira Toriyama Script Comments"]Akira Toriyama’s Inside Story: What’s the relationship between Beerus and Freeza?
Even Freeza is no match for the God of Destruction Beerus, no matter what he does! Since they both destroy stuff, they got along reasonably well, but one time Freeza had his clock cleaned when he got carried away and made Beerus angry.[/quote]
Should the underlined be taken as an absolute statement? Or is it something like, "despite how hard he tried, he still falls short"? I ask, because this is starting to be regularly cited as proof that Freeza "peaked", hitting a physical limit, which goes against pretty much everything in Dragon Ball.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm curious as to how the group addresses Cell in the Japanese manga. In Viz, they always treat him by "it", implying they don't consider him human and one could extrapolate that they don't hold Cell to the same moral standards as they would with anyone else. But I don't know if this was just Viz being Viz like Piccolo's old English speak.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:21 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:The original line for anyone who wants it.
For what it's worth, I think you can stretch it to "we couldn't pick out your ki".

ビルス「そんなの見りゃ分かるよ どうやって来たんだってこと」
悟空 「ウイスさんにれんらくして 一緒に連れてきてもらったんだ
    あんたたちは気が どらえらんねぇから そうするしかねぇんだよ」
Thanks a lot!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'm curious as to how the group addresses Cell in the Japanese manga. In Viz, they always treat him by "it", implying they don't consider him human and one could extrapolate that they don't hold Cell to the same moral standards as they would with anyone else. But I don't know if this was just Viz being Viz like Piccolo's old English speak.
Piccolo: “Damn it! I got caught off guard…! I should have been able to easily defeat him…!”
Piccolo: “…So that’s the situation…In order to stop Cell from reaching his perfect form…We can either search him out and kill him, or search out and kill No.17 and No.18…Personally I think we have no choice but to kill Cell while he still doesn’t have that much power…”
Piccolo: “It’s not just the Earth…This could turn out terrible for all the planets in the universe…Don’t forget that he has the blood of Freeza and his father…”
Goku: “Cell’s ki just swelled up extraordinarily…Th-this is bad…Looks like he’s absorbed either No.17 or No.18…”
Just a few examples. They basically refer to him as "he" in the Japanese manga.

Thought this was funny. From VIZ:
Piccolo: So that's the story. To stop Cell from attaining its final form, we have to either find it and kill it, or find and kill Androids 17 and 18. I'd rather try to squash Cell while he's not so powerful.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:12 am

Who's translation was more accurate, Matos (Clyde Manidlon) or Steve Simmions ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 am

soppa saia people wrote:Who's translation was more accurate, Matos (Clyde Manidlon) or Steve Simmions ?
They're both pretty dead-on, honestly. I don't think there are any major issues with their work.
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:
Just a few examples. They basically refer to him as "he" in the Japanese manga.
These are translations, not actual instances of a gender-specific pronoun in the original Japanese.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:29 am

Would that line from Piccolo give us an idea of Cell's gender?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:42 am

There he's only referred to by name or as やつ/yatsu which is gender-neutral (though it often ends up translated as "guy" or "dude", due to its casual/informal nature).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Alex9196
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alex9196 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:02 pm

This is not really a translation request but I think it is the right topic to ask my question.
I think about watching all of DBZ subbed because many people say the english dub is so badly translated.
So my question is, if I rewatch the series subbed would it really make that much of a difference?