The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Got the Japanese version of the Dragon Ball GT TV Special. I thought I would post it for reference against the Chinese translation about Super Vegetto. Took it with my phone so sorry about the quality.
Edit: Just realised that Herms has also done this. Nevermind then. :P It's weird though. Herms has a different cover than me?

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/675785758473490432

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 pm

Hitiro wrote:Edit: Just realised that Herms has also done this. Nevermind then. :P It's weird though. Herms has a different cover than me?
I got the re-release that combines the anime comics for DB movie 1 with the one for the GT special, so you probably have the original release.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Herms wrote:
Hitiro wrote:Edit: Just realised that Herms has also done this. Nevermind then. :P It's weird though. Herms has a different cover than me?
I got the re-release that combines the anime comics for DB movie 1 with the one for the GT special, so you probably have the original release.
Ah, right. I see. Thanks for the heads up. Thought there was a second reprint or something with a new cover.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm

I have a question about this line:

Chapter: 476 (DBZ 282), P9.7
Context: Goku says he’s almost out of time for staying on Earth, and Piccolo says he should have more
Goku: “It’s that ‘Super Saiyan 3’ thing from before…It’s a technique you should only use in the afterlife…In this world, where time exists, it uses too much energy, and you get completely exhausted all at once…”

How is this worded in Japanese? When Goku says "time exists", is he talking about his time in the Living World, or is he talking about time in general?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:19 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I have a question about this line:

Context: Goku says he’s almost out of time for staying on Earth, and Piccolo says he should have more
Goku: “It’s that ‘Super Saiyan 3’ thing from before…It’s a technique you should only use in the afterlife…In this world, where time exists, it uses too much energy, and you get completely exhausted all at once…”

How is this worded in Japanese? When Goku says "time exists", is he talking about his time in the Living World, or is he talking about time in general?
I would have thought that "in this world, where time exists," is in reference to the mortal plane. In the afterlife you don't age or deteriorate so using a form like that would not cost you. In the living world where time flows and you can age+get tired you will waste your energy.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Hitiro wrote:I would have thought that "in this world, where time exists," is in reference to the mortal plane. In the afterlife you don't age or deteriorate so using a form like that would not cost you. In the living world where time flows and you can age+get tired you will waste your energy.
But time flows in AfterLife as well, otherwise the Kaios would have been immortal since they wouldn't age, and we know that they do age & die eventually.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:36 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hitiro wrote:I would have thought that "in this world, where time exists," is in reference to the mortal plane. In the afterlife you don't age or deteriorate so using a form like that would not cost you. In the living world where time flows and you can age+get tired you will waste your energy.
But time flows in AfterLife as well, otherwise the Kaios would have been immortal since they wouldn't age, and we know that they do age & die eventually.
I don't think you're being abstract enough here. While the Kaios are in the afterlife they aren't apart of its natural laws/physics. Spirits and the dead belong in the afterlife where time should have no meaning because spirits and the dead are eternal in their realm. Goku is like a fish trying to live outside of water in this statement. He is a dead person who doesn't belong amongst the living. The Kaio and Kaioshin ageing in the afterlife is equivalent to Goku having adverse effects when he is in the mortal realm.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:17 am

Hitiro wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
I don't think you're being abstract enough here. While the Kaios are in the afterlife they aren't apart of its natural laws/physics. Spirits and the dead belong in the afterlife where time should have no meaning because spirits and the dead are eternal in their realm. Goku is like a fish trying to live outside of water in this statement. He is a dead person who doesn't belong amongst the living. The Kaio and Kaioshin ageing in the afterlife is equivalent to Goku having adverse effects when he is in the mortal realm.
I don't think it makes sense for it to work like that. If Goku is like a fish in the water when in the AfterLife, the Kaios should live there with the water's rules even if they are not fishes. If time doesn't exist in the AfterLife, it shouldn't exist for anyone in the AfterLife, dead or not dead. Same reason that the rules in the Living World apply to everyone there, dead or not dead. The Kaios aging in the AfterLife isn't a side-effect of the AfterLife, it's a natural thing for them. Them not aging should have been the side-effect of the AfterLife, if what Goku really meant was that time itself doesn't exist in the AfterLife.

wazuki011

Post by wazuki011 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:01 pm

I keep hearing there's a Daizenshuu 2 statement that Gohan can still use SSJ after Elder Kai's ritual. (Not counting DBS possible mess ups)

Supposedly the quote is something along the lines of. "Gohan can still access Super Saiyan in his ultimate state, but chose not to utilize this because he already surpassed Gotenks in power." can I get a confirmation on where this is said and what the quote actually says?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:32 pm

wazuki011 wrote:I keep hearing there's a Daizenshuu 2 statement that Gohan can still use SSJ after Elder Kai's ritual. (Not counting DBS possible mess ups)

Supposedly the quote is something along the lines of. "Gohan can still access Super Saiyan in his ultimate state, but chose not to utilize this because he already surpassed Gotenks in power." can I get a confirmation on where this is said and what the quote actually says?
Daizenshuu 2's "Growing Up" section describes Gohan after the Elder Kaioshin power-up as not being a Super Saiyan, yet still surpassing Gotenks. Nothing about whether or not he could transform into a Super Saiyan, just a straightforward comment on the fact that he does not become Super Saiyan.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

wazuki011

Post by wazuki011 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Herms wrote:
wazuki011 wrote:I keep hearing there's a Daizenshuu 2 statement that Gohan can still use SSJ after Elder Kai's ritual. (Not counting DBS possible mess ups)

Daizenshuu 2's "Growing Up" section describes Gohan after the Elder Kaioshin power-up as not being a Super Saiyan, yet still surpassing Gotenks. Nothing about whether or not he could transform into a Super Saiyan, just a straightforward comment on the fact that he does not become Super Saiyan.
alright, thank ya.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Can somebody please tell me what the bold text across the title page says? Viz omitted it for whatever reason, so I am curious if it means anything important.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 am

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:
Can somebody please tell me what the bold text across the title page says? Viz omitted it for whatever reason, so I am curious if it means anything important.
次はオラの相手だ!!! (Tsugi wa ora no aite da!!! Next one's my opponent!!!) - Pretty much Goku here. So nothing more than a generic subtitle meant to entice the readers.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:22 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't think it makes sense for it to work like that. If Goku is like a fish in the water when in the AfterLife, the Kaios should live there with the water's rules even if they are not fishes. If time doesn't exist in the AfterLife, it shouldn't exist for anyone in the AfterLife, dead or not dead. Same reason that the rules in the Living World apply to everyone there, dead or not dead. The Kaios aging in the AfterLife isn't a side-effect of the AfterLife, it's a natural thing for them. Them not aging should have been the side-effect of the AfterLife, if what Goku really meant was that time itself doesn't exist in the AfterLife.
If you're not apart of a realm then you can't possibly say that the effects of that realm should work for you. A fish can't live on land. A human can't live in water. So for people who are alive being in the afterlife, which is supposed to be for the dead, they wouldn't be apart of that natural cycle. The same for dead people being in the living world. It is more that time doesn't exist in the afterlife because dead people are not entities that age, eat or get tired. Not that there is no actual passage of time there. If we lost the ability to eat, sleep and get tired we would lose most of our basic functions to know the passage of time. For instance, "It must be getting close to lunch time because I'm hungry." or "It must nearly be my bed time because I'm feeling sleepy." Of course we have additional things like the sun and moon to help us keep track of time. If we didn't age or die then there would also not need to be a reason for us to count our ages either. So in an abstract sense the laws of time have no meaning in the afterlife because dead people don't need to keep track of such things like sleep, hunger, ageing or tiredness. Unless you are a living being like the Kaios which do get effected by all of these functions.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:44 am

As a side note, Kaios and Kaioshins have a living expectancy, but I believe that works more like an "expiration date". What I mean is that both the North Kaio and the Elder East Kaioshin died, and all that happened was that they gained a halo, everything was the same, they even retained their status. I believe that when their time is up, they'll cease to exist completely, or who knows, maybe they'll go to another realm or get resurrected as a new Shinian. I mean, Majin Buu clearly kills them forever, otherwise they'd be around in the afterlife somewhere.
With all this in consideration I believe that these creatures do not factor into the debate of there being time or not in the afterlife. Although consider this; time passes slower in The Room of Spirit and Time, yet, people who go in feel that passage of time and age accordingly. So, in a realm where no time passes, no one would age. The Shinians do not seem to age, they just eventually expire. The Elder Kaioshins looks are due to his fusion with an old witch, not because of age.

So maybe they do factor and everyone in the after life has a very long "expiration date" but doesn't age at all. Time passes, but not in the traditional sense.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 pm

What do these say?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:What do these say?
Why are you asking, and how will this help in what you're looking for?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:What do these say?
Why are you asking, and how will this help in what you're looking for?
I want to know as it'd help me gauge their strength.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I have a question about this line:

Here is the original page BTW.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 am

Would anyone want to translate the videos at the Jump Ryu Mook DVD with Akira Toriyama?