JSAT 2008 Special Packaged w/ Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

JSAT 2008 Special Packaged w/ Kai?

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to Daizenshuu EX. I have been waiting to join for a while now & and I am glad to be here!

I just want to start off by asking if you think there is a chance of Funimation including "Yo! The Return of Son Goku and Friends" when they are done with Kai(./...?)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Re: JSAT 2008 Special Packaged w/ Kai?

Post by Chibi Gohan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

As of now, Funimation has not announced anything regarding this special.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:21 am

Chibi Gohan wrote:As of now, Funimation has not announced anything regarding this special.
....and my hopes are starting to dim....
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:27 pm

It should be noted that none of the Jump Super Anime Tour specials have been released legally outside of Japan.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Don't say that. :(
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:31 am

The Jump special wasn't even made by the same company as all the other animated stuff...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:The Jump special wasn't even made by the same company as all the other animated stuff...
So it wasn't Toei?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm

I think they should include it with Kai.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm

If\when FUNimation get's this it'll probably be put under the "DBZ" brand name. They can't really put it under the "DBZK" name since the feature includes Majin Boo and takes place after the events of the Majin Boo story arc. It wouldn't make sense.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:The Jump special wasn't even made by the same company as all the other animated stuff...
So it wasn't Toei?
It was animated by Toei, but Shueisha owns the copyright.
-Joey

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If\when FUNimation get's this it'll probably be put under the "DBZ" brand name. They can't really put it under the "DBZK" name since the feature includes Majin Boo and takes place after the events of the Majin Boo story arc. It wouldn't make sense.
But a lot of things that's coming out are under the Kai brand name, even ones in the Boo arc (even though Kai isn't up to there yet). I don't see why being set after the Boo arc would suddenly make it drop the Kai name (especially when 10 years after Kid Boo's destruction is counted as still being in the Boo arc).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 pm

do you guys know if kai is over? i saw the thing on daizenshuu says its over in 4 episodes i guess that throws my question down the drain about the jump episode being included with kai
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:23 am

samuraix123 wrote:do you guys know if kai is over? i saw the thing on daizenshuu says its over in 4 episodes i guess that throws my question down the drain about the jump episode being included with kai
Yes, it's ending with episode 98.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:36 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: I don't see why being set after the Boo arc would suddenly make it drop the Kai name (especially when 10 years after Kid Boo's destruction is counted as still being in the Boo arc).
You don't see why? Really? So you think it makes sense to brand "Yo! Son Goku Returns" under the DBZK name when a lot of the characters in that feature only show up after the Cell story arc...

There's Majin Boo, Goten, Trunks, Videl, Maron, those two Kaio's. It even has the Fusion Dance which spawns Gotenks! I think it would make more sense for FUNimation to either brand it under DBZ or just leave it the way it is.

And sure, there have been merchandise with Majin Boo branded as DBK in Japan. But that was only video games and petty merchandise, not an actual animated feature.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: I don't see why being set after the Boo arc would suddenly make it drop the Kai name (especially when 10 years after Kid Boo's destruction is counted as still being in the Boo arc).
You don't see why? Really? So you think it makes sense to brand "Yo! Son Goku Returns" under the DBZK name when a lot of the characters in that feature only show up after the Cell story arc...

There's Majin Boo, Goten, Trunks, Videl, Maron, those two Kaio's. It even has the Fusion Dance which spawns Gotenks! I think it would make more sense for FUNimation to either brand it under DBZ or just leave it the way it is.

And sure, there have been merchandise with Majin Boo branded as DBK in Japan. But that was only video games and petty merchandise, not an actual animated feature.
Read my post again. And what makes being an animated feature different to video games and merchandise that it can't be branded under Kai? They're all still media. They can still put it under the Kai name if they want.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:... And what makes being an animated feature different to video games and merchandise that it can't be branded under Kai? They're all still media. They can still put it under the Kai name if they want.
The difference with video games being branded Kai and an actual animated feature is that, with the animated feature people can take it as part of that series. If they placed it after DBZ, fans would take it as part of an on-going DBZ story. If they placed it after DBZK fans would take it as an on-going DBZK story. I think it would make sense to put it after DBZ since most of those characters are introduced in that series.

I don't think people take the events in video games as seriously as they would if it was an animated feature.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:09 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:... And what makes being an animated feature different to video games and merchandise that it can't be branded under Kai? They're all still media. They can still put it under the Kai name if they want.
The difference with video games being branded Kai and an actual animated feature is that, with the animated feature people can take it as part of that series. If they placed it after DBZ, fans would take it as part of an on-going DBZ story. If they placed it after DBZK fans would take it as an on-going DBZK story. I think it would make sense to put it after DBZ since most of those characters are introduced in that series.

I don't think people take the events in video games as seriously as they would if it was an animated feature.
OK, I see your point. But aren't video games and merchandise part of the series just as much as an animated feature is? And fans taking it as an on-going DBZ Kai story is fine. DBZ Kai is DBZ, after all.