Do you like all filler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Do you like all filler?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Forgive me if there's already been a topic like this, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone like all of the filler? Do you think it actually adds something to the series, or do you like it just because it's something new?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SSJGoku93

Re: Do you like all filler?

Post by SSJGoku93 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Some of the larger filler I really enjoyed, such as the stuff with Maron, Garlic Junior, the Other World Tournament etc. One thing I noticed that without the filler in DB Kai, it seems really rushed. Overall, I'd say that I enjoyed most of the filler the series had to offer.
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Well, no. I don't think you'll find anyone who absolutely loves (or even likes) every bit of the filler Toei threw in.

But to be entirely honest, there are bits of the canon story that I don't really care for either, so, take that as you will.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

The filler is actually one of the things killing me as I watch the series again, to the point where I consider the Dragon Box's division of episodes into halves (Rather than the Season Set's quarters) an actual flaw in the sets. You can call it petty, but as Gozar Vegeta pointed out, Dragonball Z is a series where less footage is a selling point.

Haven't watched Ball in years and am not sure if I'll ever pick it up, so I can't judge the first portion.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:25 pm

I really like certain filler, stuff like Gohan and the dinosaur, but on the whole … I’d rather it not be there.

I haven’t watched the anime in its entirety for about 3 or so years, mainly because of the filler. I want to watch it again, but I just can’t bring myself to slog through it.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

In Dragon Ball I like all the filler, none of it bothers me, in Dragon Ball Z I used to not like the filler, but since Kai has been around I haven't watched the original Z for a long time until the other day, I watched some filler episodes during the Saiyan arc and I've forgotten how good filler can be.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:35 pm

I enjoy most filler,there is only a few filler parts that are just meh to me
-凯

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Far from it, I dislike most of them.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I think it depends on which type of filler you're talking about.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

If it adds some depth to the story (like with Gohan in the wilderness) or expands the characters (Vegeta's childhood flashbacks), I love it. In some ways it's an improvement over the manga. But I can't stand pointless distractions (Gohan and the orphans). Fight scene filler completely ruins the pacing; I like how in the manga the action is always moving from panel to panel. When you lose that speed, you lose the excitement and the appeal.
SAD 4 U

KELLEN-SAMA

Post by KELLEN-SAMA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:55 pm

For the most part I don't really enjoy it, But I gotta say that I am a fan of the other world tournament stuff.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm

I absolutely cannot stand the cut-aways during fights.

DinoChow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DinoChow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 pm

For a while, I thought I didn't like the filler. I started watching Kai, and really loved it, but then I bought the Dragon Boxes and started watching DBZ from start to finish, and my opinion has totally changed. Now, I love the filler. Love it. Especially during the Saiyan arc. I love how the anime takes the time to show the passage of time in that year of training so that when the Saiyans arrive, the build-up really is incredible and the pay-off rewarding. Most importantly, there's important character growth. The anime does Gohan much better than Toriyama did, and the relationship between him and Piccolo is infinitely better with the 'filler' intact. Piccolo's death in Z is heart-wrenching, whereas it just sort of happens in Kai. The same can be said of all the deaths because Z takes more time with these characters. The filler also makes Z work better as a standalone series. People were able to start with Z because it does take time - full episodes, sometimes - to reintroduce us to people like Yamucha and Tenshinhan. I love that, and you don't get it in Kai. I still don't like some of the cutaways, but for the most part, I think they work, especially Bulma's reaction to Yamucha's death. It's good stuff. Even the 'journey to Namek' filler is interesting in that it does give a good picture of the passage of time. Fake Namek may be bad, but I find it endearingly bad and fun to watch. The filler feels like a natural part of the story.

Now, I don't think some of the larger filler 'arcs' work. I don't like Garlic Jr., for instance, though the Other World Tournament is a pretty decent little arc. Otherwise, the episode-by-episode filler is better - for instance, I love Goku's adventures in space as he travels to Namek.

On the flipside, I really detest the filler in the original Dragon Ball. I don't know what changed in Z, but the filler in DB just makes the series move too slow for me to enjoy. The manga volumes 1-16 are so fast paced, and I feel that pace is part of the rhythm, part of what makes it work. In the anime, it feels like it's slow just for the sake of being slow, whereas Z has more organic places to stretch things out. For instance, the 5 million standoffs between Goku, Yamucha, and Tenshinhan at the 22nd Budokai, or the stretching out of tournaments to include many days. The stakes are lower here, so the stretching out doesn't feel organic to me, since there isn't as much to build up to. Then again, I've never watched Dragon Ball start to finish. Maybe it's all better in context.

To summarize - filler good in Z, not good in DB, boo Kai.
Visit my entertainment website, "Jonathan Lack at the Movies," for reviews of film, TV, music and more! You can also find my work in the weekly Thursday print edition of "Your Hub" in The Denver Post!
http://www.jonathanlack.com

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm

I liked the Saiyan arc filler, the flashback to King Vegeta in the Freeza arc, and the training with Gohan in the Cell arc.

The rest of the filler is fucking terrible.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Zephyr wrote:I absolutely cannot stand the cut-aways during fights.
THIS.
It's especially obnoxious in the Cell Games. For every minute of fighting action we got thousands of pan shots of the bystanders, cuts to Mr. Satan and his crew, and cuts to Chichi for good measure.

I don't mind filler arcs and filler episodes because you can just skip them.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I love anything and everything there is in the Dragonball universe!

There is not 1 person in the series I hate or dislike, I love filler so much as well, and I love the (afterlife?) fight with Paikuhan and Goku.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Toei's original version appeared to tell the story in his way. That's the decided animated version, not the manga. The scenes that everybody calls "filler," is actually part of Toei's story believe it or not, and whining about it will not do you much good. It's his version, so accept it or don't watch it.
Toei is not the name of a single person. It's a company.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Haters can hate Toei's original, but I could care less. You either accept the fillers and accept the original for all it's worth, or you can whine about it because it doesn't follow your "manga volumes agenda."
I think people hate it because it can be kind of boring. Not everybody likes the same things you like! Shocking, isn't it?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Toei is not the name of a single person. It's a company.
Jedidiah M. Toei, animator!

Anyway, I like the filler in DB more so than Z.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People