If the Saban Dub had continued, how would it have worked?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

If the Saban Dub had continued, how would it have worked?

Post by TVfan721 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Trying to picture the remainder of the Freeza saga with the Saban Dub tactics, I can't see how on Earth they would've been able to pull this off. The fight with Goku and Freeza was pretty violent and a lot more so than anything up to Eng Episode 53 at that point where the dub ended. I'd imagine a majority of the episodes would've been cut. The stuff with the Androids would've been really hard to get around too. What do you think would've happened?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: If the Saban Dub had continued, how would it have worked

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I've thought about this before. I always just come to the conclusion that they'd just find a way to edit it. The only small glimpse we'll get of anything past episode 53 was in the last next episode preview. It wasn't on the DVD so if anyone has it recorded off of TV, there ya go.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:38 pm

They would probably pull a 4Kids and never release bilingual DVDs.
I've thought about this before. I always just come to the conclusion that they'd just find a way to edit it. The only small glimpse we'll get of anything past episode 53 was in the last next episode preview. It wasn't on the DVD so if anyone has it recorded off of TV, there ya go.
That's pretty interesting actually, I would really like to see that.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed May 11, 2011 4:49 pm

It's not that interesting. It's very short.

'Next Dragon Ball Z, Burter and Jeice take on Goku as the struggle for Dragonballs continues! Next time on Dragon Ball ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'

It's Burter and Jeice flying around, throwing stuff at Goku and him shouting and deflecting it all with his shouting powers. And then there's a scene of Freeza flying through the air in his bootleg egg-o-matic-hovercraft.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Freeza would have blasted Dende and Vegeta into another dimension, then have Goku blast him there afterwards.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 pm

But what would Vegeta have done to Burter?
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed May 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Look at how they handled Guldo. I imagine the most graphic stuff that they couldn't get around showing would've been handled the same exact way.

Burter likely would've been handled much the Nicktoons way; the scene would've been cut since Goku just defeats him pretty soundedly. Think about how much they were cutting down episodes at that point. It's not like things were 1:1 .. the first season is something like 35 episodes cut into 26.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Ashura wrote:It's not that interesting. It's very short.

'Next Dragon Ball Z, Burter and Jeice take on Goku as the struggle for Dragonballs continues! Next time on Dragon Ball ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'

It's Burter and Jeice flying around, throwing stuff at Goku and him shouting and deflecting it all with his shouting powers. And then there's a scene of Freeza flying through the air in his bootleg egg-o-matic-hovercraft.
Not the preview itself, just the fact that it was never released.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Wed May 11, 2011 6:31 pm

The preview on episode 53 was in fact released, but only on the Madman AU/NZ release of 'Super Saiyan?!'. Here it is if anyone wants to see it: http://www.mediafire.com/?u9xsy3ad4uho3vd

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:The preview on episode 53 was in fact released, but only on the Madman AU/NZ release of 'Super Saiyan?!'. Here it is if anyone wants to see it: http://www.mediafire.com/?u9xsy3ad4uho3vd
Ha ha that was so cool.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

I wonder if they would have tried to edit the rest of the arc (up through #107) down to twelve episodes to possibly end the series with sixty-five episodes...hmmm...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Why would they do that? I'd expect them to just do a full season.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed May 11, 2011 9:32 pm

They'd probably edit it down to another 26. After they get through the Ginyu stuff, it's an endless slog of nothing really happening until you get to the big Super Saiyan moment, so I can see them trying to end the Freeza stuff as soon as they possibly could.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 pm

They'd previously trimmed the Vegeta fight down pretty badly to cram it all into 26 episodes, too. I imagine if they cut all the random reaction shots and Bulma, and then trim down Goku vs. Freeza quite a bit they might manage... they'd have to cover 40 episodes, which is only 5 more than the Saiyan arc. I mean, yeah, the Vegeta fight got a bit rushed at the end, but that fight actually had interesting things happen in it. :P

Actually, if I wasn't going through the entire series in order right now I'd go watch that portion of the series and take notes on how they could have edited it down.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:40 pm

I think the entire Garlic Jr saga would have been cut completely too because of the whole nature of that story, I doubt Saban would've allowed it.

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Thu May 12, 2011 2:05 am

I'm more interested in hearing the Saban Dub's Freeza acting out some of the scenes from the Freeza fight. I always... kind of liked the sound of that Freeza. Better than FUNimation's Z and Kai Freezas, actually.

How would that Freeza have sounded as the character began to get unraveled? What would his inflection have sounded like delivering some of those lines? What would the script have even been like?

Why.. did they stop? What's the story behind that? Why did that dub die?

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Thu May 12, 2011 7:22 am

tvfan721 wrote:I think the entire Garlic Jr saga would have been cut completely too because of the whole nature of that story, I doubt Saban would've allowed it.
So essentially Saban would've pulled a Kai? The US Censors would've done it before the Japanese! :lol:
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu May 12, 2011 9:30 am

Arique wrote:
tvfan721 wrote:I think the entire Garlic Jr saga would have been cut completely too because of the whole nature of that story, I doubt Saban would've allowed it.
So essentially Saban would've pulled a Kai? The US Censors would've done it before the Japanese! :lol:
Saban pulled a Kai since episode 1.

We did it first!

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 am

SuperForteX wrote:I'm more interested in hearing the Saban Dub's Freeza acting out some of the scenes from the Freeza fight. I always... kind of liked the sound of that Freeza. Better than FUNimation's Z and Kai Freezas, actually.

How would that Freeza have sounded as the character began to get unraveled? What would his inflection have sounded like delivering some of those lines? What would the script have even been like?

Why.. did they stop? What's the story behind that? Why did that dub die?
It wasn't pulling in high enough ratings, so Saban cancelled it. FUNimation then shopped the episodes they had to Cartoon Network, where the show did get popular, after which they had to move production in-house for new episodes since their budget got pretty tight without Saban... and the rest is history.

As for the script, if I recall correctly, a lot of the same script writers (including Terry Klassen) remained on the show for season 3, so it probably wouldn't have been all that different, save for writing around death and scenes they'd have to cut. I'm personally kinda wondering how they'd handle Krillin's impalement... would they just do it like Nicktoons and kinda-sorta imply what's happening? Maybe they'd cut it so that Freeza headbutts him. :lol:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 am

*Freeza's torso and arm gets kienzan'd*
Freeza: Just you wait til that grows back!

Other than the blood being painted over I imagine they'd trim down a lot more episodes, they'd definitely keep the Garlic Jr. arc, there's something very Power Rangery about it.

Nothing's too violent to be edited, that's the point. The Saiyan arc was as violent as the Freeza arc.