The King Of The World Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

The King Of The World Discussion

Post by MetalMadness » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 am

Who is this dog exactly? Is he the King of the Dragon Ball World? I cant help but laugh every time i see him :lol:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The King Of The World Discussion

Post by Kendamu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 am

That's exactly who he is; The King of the World. If you go back to Dragonball, you'll see more of his house in the Piccolo Daimaou stuff.

His pups are the Princes of the Universe. :P
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:55 am

He also seems to be the only competent person on the planet, and the only dude who remembers that Goku is a true hero.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:51 am

Interesting. World leaders are intelligent and competent to an extent in Dragonball. Another way it's a completely fictional world. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:35 am

metamoss wrote:He also seems to be the only competent person on the planet, and the only dude who remembers that Goku is a true hero.
Actualy, the Budokai announcer also believes Goku is a hero.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 am

He's also the only animal-person that Toriyama remembered to draw in the 'Z' portion of the story :P . And yeah, as others have said (including Mike recently on the podcast), he's one of only two intelligent people on Earth in Dragon World. He actually recognised Goku and Piccolo at the Cell Games, unlike the rest of the world (you'd think that people would still remember Piccolo Daimao - it wasn't even 15 years ago). One of my favourite minor characters, overall.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:40 am

When I was new to the Dragon Ball universe, I always thought that the dog King had used the Dragon Balls to become the king, from Bulma's line in Dragon Ball that the last person to make a wish on the Dragon Balls became a king.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:29 am

G1Ravage wrote:When I was new to the Dragon Ball universe, I always thought that the dog King had used the Dragon Balls to become the king, from Bulma's line in Dragon Ball that the last person to make a wish on the Dragon Balls became a king.
I now DEMAND to see an "Adventures of King Dog pre-kinghood" prequel to Dragon Ball.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:06 am

Ah, the King of the World. He's remarkably long-lived, isn't he? He's still alive and in office by the end of GT, despite a good five decades having passed since his first appearance, where he already seems quite old.

Perhaps he has found the key to sagehood a la Kame-Sennin and Tsuru-Sennin. Perhaps he is ... Inu-Sennin. Or Sennin-Inu?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I believe the Piccolo Daimao arc happens in the twentieth year of his reign, so it seems he probably isn't the one who ascended via the dragon balls. I would not be disappointed to be proven wrong, however. :)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:I now DEMAND to see an "Adventures of King Dog pre-kinghood" prequel to Dragon Ball.
It would be hilarious if he was the Oolong-esque sidekick, and then he becomes the King of the World much like how Oolong gets a pair of panties.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:52 pm

caejones wrote:I believe the Piccolo Daimao arc happens in the twentieth year of his reign, so it seems he probably isn't the one who ascended via the dragon balls. I would not be disappointed to be proven wrong, however. :)
Bulma says the last person before her who gathered the dragonballs became a king, and Kame-sennin says he found the 3-star ball about 100 years ago, so whoever Bulma's talking about must have gotten their wish at least 100 years back. So that's probably too old for Mr. Dog. The thing about him ruling 20 years when Piccolo shows up is only in the anime, but even ignoring that he really doesn't look 100+ years old. Unless he really is some kind of immortal. It also might be worth noting that the guy Bulma mentions became an ou-sama/king rather than Mr. Dog's title, koku-ou/nation-king, the idea being that all of DB Earth is united into a single nation which he rules. Daizenshuu 7's page on DB Earth's government treats the guy from 100 years ago as a different person than the current Kind, and doesn't seem to regard the ou-sama/koku-ou distinction as meaningful (ie the guy from 100 years ago ruled the Earth just like the current guy).
Cipher wrote:Perhaps he has found the key to sagehood a la Kame-Sennin and Tsuru-Sennin. Perhaps he is ... Inu-Sennin. Or Sennin-Inu?
He'd presumably be a "Senken" rather than a Sennin, in the same way Karin is a "Senbyou".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.