"Jaws" in DB(!)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

"Jaws" in DB(!)

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue May 10, 2005 2:13 pm

I've managed to get my hands on the most of the DragonBall DVD sets, and I've started into them. I've now seen the first few episodes of the Tournament Saga (watching them in Japanese, of course!) and I had to mention a scene that has now entered my list of favorites. In the manga, Kame Sennin takes Goku and Kuririn to a lake so they can swim ten laps barenaked. What he doesn't tell them (before they dive in) is that this lake is infested with sharks. They finish the laps quickly, with a shark in hot pursuit, and the whole affair is about maybe three quick panels long.

I love how the anime handles this scene.

Goku and Kuririn dive in, and halfway across, Kame Sennin calls to them and warns them about the sharks. Just then, a Shunsuke Kikuchi rendering of the "Jaws" theme starts up (believe me, I nearly died of laughter) and better yet, they recreate the opening scene of Jaws, with the camera looking up from underwater at Goku and Kuririn's feet (not to mention private parts...) and then the shark surfaces.
It was the music that just about killed me. I've griped recently about how Shunsuke Kikuchi never seemed to write a piece for one scene and that scene only, but it looks like I was wrong. Unless, of course, there's another "Jaws"-esque scene somewhere in the series, I doubt this piece of music ever comes up again.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue May 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Cool. I didn't know that about the anime. The manga's purpose was to be a one-panel shock-funny, but I understand that the anime needs filler, so I'm glad they handled it that way. It really does seem like the only way to go about it.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue May 10, 2005 7:22 pm

There was a thread a while back talking about preferences between the manga and anime. Personally, I just can't decide -- both seem to have the same amount of perks/downsides.
As for the scene in question, it's much better in the anime in my opinion (that is if you can tolerate seeing Goku's and Kuririn's nards in just about every shot, as opposed to the singular panel in the manga).

Ah, so anyway, I think it's time I changed my signature again (poor Goku keeps getting his legs broken every time I post), but I can't think of any good quotes off the top of my head. Anyone have a favorite quote I can use (preferably from the Japanese version)?
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue May 10, 2005 7:29 pm

"Silence! Or I'll slit your throat!"-When Piccolo wakes Gohan up and he starts crying.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue May 10, 2005 9:15 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:"Silence! Or I'll slit your throat!"-When Piccolo wakes Gohan up and he starts crying.
Actually, he says, "...or I'll bash your head in!" :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue May 10, 2005 9:48 pm

I took the line from the VIZ manga! The VIZ line sounds more badass :lol:

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed May 11, 2005 12:04 pm

At least the BGM from the Japanese Dragonball remains in the dub, a reason why I don't mind Dragonball's dub much, the voices are done good as well.

Favourite quotes? Let's see.

I thinks it's funny when Goku's on he's way to Namek and is just about to go to sleep (after training under 100G) and reaches for a beer, says it;s the wrong one, then gets a blue sports drink and says (in Japanese of course), ''Buruma no odochan tokse no supootto dorinku!''(Bulma's Dad's Sport Drink!), and he laughs, that's quite funny. The face expression looks funny too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed May 11, 2005 4:00 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I took the line from the VIZ manga! The VIZ line sounds more badass :lol:
Yeah, that does sound more badass, and evil.

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Wed May 11, 2005 6:39 pm

Slitting a throat is more evil than bashing someone's head in? Please! Bashing a head in is WAY more messy and disturbing. Besides, I actually thought of that phrase when I read the VIZ, thinking, "I think Piccolo would say, 'Bash your skull in' instead!" I was right!!!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Groan... once again I speak too soon and make a fool of myself :roll:
I've slowly been worming my way through the Tournament saga, and it turns out that I was all wrong about this piece of music being a one-timer - this "Jaws" theme is used again when Kuririn is fighting Jackie Chun.

Maybe with that cheesy wig they think he looks like a shark...?

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sat May 14, 2005 12:37 am

I don't think that this is quoted right;

"...we Saiyans tend to become a bit wild and crazy."- SSJ Vegeta to #19.

What made it the shit was afterwards, how Vegeta planted a boot in 19's stomach.

jeff kowall
Banned

Post by jeff kowall » Sat May 14, 2005 12:57 am

Omg thats so jewish

jeff kowall
Banned

Post by jeff kowall » Sat May 14, 2005 5:38 am

What if you are jewish? Does that make it bad?

Aurek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Aurek » Sat May 14, 2005 6:30 am

Oh look a troll. Something tells me a ban is swiftly approaching.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat May 14, 2005 8:22 am

jeff kowall wrote:Omg thats so jewish
Well, you've earned my vote for a swift ban already.

Welcome to the forum, jackass.

[yudaya-jin]
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 14, 2005 8:42 am

jeff kowall wrote:What if you are jewish? Does that make it bad?
Could you please make it a little more obvious that you are Doomrider? Seriously. That'd be great.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::