New Book About Akira Toriyama - The Master of Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DerekPadula
Regular

New Book About Akira Toriyama - The Master of Manga

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 pm

EDIT on Dec 12, 2011. Here's my review of the book, in case anybody is interested in buying it: http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/book ... -of-manga/

A new book focused on the life of Akira Toriyama has been published in France, called Akira Toriyama: The Master of Manga.

http://www.amazon.fr/Akira-Toriyama-die ... 2356483322

For some reason I'm also seeing it called Akira Toriyama: The Living God of Manga elsewhere online.

Here is the Google Translated description of the book I found on another site:

"Interesting little news for all fan of A. Toriyama!
Richard Olivier wrote a book called "Akira Toriyama, the living god of manga". It will be available October 27 for the editor 2011chez 12A.
The price will be around twenty euros

Summary "Album":
Everyone knows Dragon Ball manga phenomenon, selling over 200 million copies around the world and its many avatars: cartoons, video games, toys, trading cards, movies, etc.. Oddly, until now no book had proposed comprehensive overview of the work of its author: Akira Toriyama. Born in 1955, Toriyama is nevertheless became a legend of manga and international pop culture ... This book tells for the first time his career, from humble beginnings (in 1978 published his first story is a complete flop!) In carton Dr. Slump (series demented Mad reminiscent of the first and item-a-brac) up to the climax with Dragon Ball. The titanic success of Dragon Ball Toriyama made ​​the equivalent of a Walt Disney or a Stan Lee: a giant. But a giant of a new kind since it has the distinction of being the first comic book in the world whose work is available instantly to all media. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the multimedia career of this artist as prolific as discreet."

Anybody here speak French? Mike, Heath, anybody else in Europe? Looking forward to learning more about this.
Last edited by DerekPadula on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

penguintruth
Banned

Re: New Book About Akira Toriyama - The Master of Manga

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I'd hardly call Toriyama "master" of manga. That's probably Tezuka. Or Naoki Urasawa, these days.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 pm

penguintruth wrote:I'd hardly call Toriyama "master" of manga. That's probably Tezuka. Or Naoki Urasawa, these days.
I don't know who those artists are, but it seems kind of silly to use "master" and "these days" in the same sentence to begin with. The masters are the innovators and trend-starters.

I don't know who's topping charts or drawing the best art in Japan right now, or how their objective quality stacks up to Toriyama, but he pretty much defined the shounen fighting/adventure genre as it's existed for the past two (almost three) decades. Seems deserving of a "master" title.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 pm

If you don't know who Osamu Tezuka is, you don't have the right to put your hands on manga.

Naoki Urasawa is Tezuka 2.0.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

penguintruth wrote:If you don't know who Osamu Tezuka is, you don't have the right to put your hands on manga.
I got my otaku card revoked by the manga police back in 2005-6.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 pm

DerekPadula wrote:For some reason I'm also seeing it called Akira Toriyama: The Living God of Manga elsewhere online.
"Master" is used in the title for the cover image on Amazon. "Living God" is what it says on the cover image you posted.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 pm

Good for Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball.

Dude defined a generation with his work.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Herms wrote:
DerekPadula wrote:For some reason I'm also seeing it called Akira Toriyama: The Living God of Manga elsewhere online.
"Master" is used in the title for the cover image on Amazon. "Living God" is what it says on the cover image you posted.
Right, I could see the differences in the French, but why are there two different titles? I wonder if it has something to do with sensitivity to the word "God."

Thank you for clarifying in any case.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Cipher wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I'd hardly call Toriyama "master" of manga. That's probably Tezuka. Or Naoki Urasawa, these days.
I don't know who those artists are, but it seems kind of silly to use "master" and "these days" in the same sentence to begin with. The masters are the innovators and trend-starters.
By that logic, Toriyama is, indeed, a master. Many mangaka have been influenced by his style. Personally, I would consider Toriyama a master. How could one look at his artwork and say otherwise? Perhaps he isn't a master of storytelling (though some would beg to differ), but a master of his craft, nonetheless.

www.KristaMichaels.com

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Mountain wrote:
Cipher wrote:
By that logic, Toriyama is, indeed, a master. Many mangaka have been influenced by his style. Personally, I would consider Toriyama a master. How could one look at his artwork and say otherwise? Perhaps he isn't a master of storytelling (though some would beg to differ), but a master of his craft, nonetheless.
Agreed.

And one of those some is right here 8)

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 am

Toriyama's art is very clean and stylistic. This is made most apparent when you compare his DBZ manga with something like One Piece. I think his most appealing trait, as a mangaka, is his ability to create such an immense universe and think of incredible stories. He could indeed be considered a master.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 am

DanielGClapp wrote:Toriyama's art is very clean and stylistic. ... He could indeed be considered a master.
I agree, and find that Kishimoto has a similarly attractive style. A paragraph from my book:

"Masashi Kishimoto (born November 9, 1974) and creator of Naruto said “I'm 28 years old, and I'm older than my colleagues … Dragon Ball is what we have in common. By now, when you hear the name “Goku,” it's Toriyama's character that comes into your mind and not the monkey from the Chinese legend!” Kishimoto also said this is where he learned how to write stories from, and openly expressed his adoration by stating “Toriyama-sensei is like a god to me.”"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 am

The book sounds really cool and I love buying books about my favorite writer or artist. I doubt Viz will release this in the US. I agree that Toriyama is a great artist but I think Go Nagai, Leiji Matsumoto, Naoki Urasawa and Osamu Tezuka takes the cake of the best manga artist.
Cipher wrote:I don't know who those artists are?
Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is pretty much the Godfather of Manga & Anime and major inspiration for many people. Hard to believe to meet someone that reads manga or watch anime that does not know Osamu Tezuka is? It's like meeting someone who read comic books and not knowing who Stan Lee or Bob Kane is :| . Toriyama was influenced by Osamu Tezuka as a artist from what I can remember.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:41 am

I'm another of the people who would say he's a master of storytelling as well as artwork. He's the #1 Master to me.

And it's really not surprising that a lot of people don't know Osamu Tezuka, but I'm sure they'd know Astro Boy.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:07 am

I just ordered it and I don't even speak French! Haha. I wanted to know what's in it, and also to support a fellow author of Dragon Ball books.

Should arrive in 10 to 12 days. Total cost was $39.38, which includes shipping to California, for anybody considering the purchase.

When it arrives I'll scan some pictures of it and post them here.

Now I just need to learn French. I wonder if 12 days is enough time. Hmmm.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is pretty much the Godfather of Manga & Anime and major inspiration for many people. Hard to believe to meet someone that reads manga or watch anime that does not know Osamu Tezuka is? It's like meeting someone who read comic books and not knowing who Stan Lee or Bob Kane is :| . Toriyama was influenced by Osamu Tezuka as a artist from what I can remember.
Oh. Then penguintruth was definitely right, and I was just being an ass. This was a case of knowing the product, but not the name of the creator. When he said "right now," I assumed it was some newer series.

It shouldn't be that surprising though. I'm not a manga-hobbyist. I wouldn't necessarily expect someone who read Watchmen once and liked it to know who Bob Kane or Jack Kirby (raising you one Stan Lee) are. I wouldn't expect non-movie buffs to know a host of canonized directors.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 am

Cipher wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is pretty much the Godfather of Manga & Anime and major inspiration for many people. Hard to believe to meet someone that reads manga or watch anime that does not know Osamu Tezuka is? It's like meeting someone who read comic books and not knowing who Stan Lee or Bob Kane is :| . Toriyama was influenced by Osamu Tezuka as a artist from what I can remember.
Oh. Then penguintruth was definitely right, and I was just being an ass. This was a case of knowing the product, but not the name of the creator. When he said "right now," I assumed it was some newer series.

It shouldn't be that surprising though. I'm not a manga-hobbyist. I wouldn't necessarily expect someone who read Watchmen once and liked it to know who Bob Kane or Jack Kirby (raising you one Stan Lee) are. I wouldn't expect non-movie buffs to know a host of canonized directors.
Well you had the right to be in the case of Naoki Urasawa, at least. Also, Tezuka's most popular work, Astro Boy is pretty much dried up. You rarely hear anyone talking about it or any games being manufactured after it. While the guy did influence a generation or two, he's an artifact of the past now.
Last edited by Perfect on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:54 am

Nice!

While it's been a while since my last French class, I still think I have a higher chance of understanding French than Japanese :D

I'm really curious though, if it contains any new info or if it's just a collection of already published databooks and interviews.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:56 pm

I'd say he definitely changed the playing field, but does that make him a master?

In sheer amount of quality, work, and influence, Tezuka fits without a doubt. Urasawa seems to be catching up by still putting out new, critically acclaimed material out there. Add Pluto into the mix and he's definitely becoming more and more Tezuka like.

But I think other artists, like I don't know, Nagai and Ishinomori, should be credited with such a title instead of Toriyama.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 pm

AgitoZ wrote: In sheer amount of quality, work, and influence, Tezuka fits without a doubt. Urasawa seems to be catching up by still putting out new, critically acclaimed material out there. Add Pluto into the mix and he's definitely becoming more and more Tezuka like.
My favorite is Urasawa's 20th Century Boys. GUDALALA, SUDALALA...

Can I get a Schemen?