Did Baby's name ever bug you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Did Baby's name ever bug you?

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 am

I never really liked Baby's name I thought it was a bad mark on one of my favorite villains. Apart from sounding silly even by DB name standards I never really found it that fitting, yes I know that he starts off as a baby but its not for that long. It would be like if Krillin was called Squinty even though his eyes are open for most of the series. Also Baby is meant to be a creation of the Tsfruian race, so wouldn't it make more sense for him to have a name based on a fruit? So did anyone else ever find Baby's name stupid?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Did Baby's name ever bug you?

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:50 am

So you think "Baby" is stupid for the fetal parasite, but you're okay with Piccolo, the tiny instrument, for what is essentially DB earth's Satan? You're fine when it comes to an entire set of villains named after vegetables and dairy products for a galaxy-spanning empire? Frankly, "Baby" fits so much better because his whole deal actually has something to do with his name at all.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:you're okay with Piccolo, the tiny instrument, for what is essentially DB earth's Satan?
On that note, in DB Forever Toriyama says that he picked the name "Piccolo" specifically because it was silly and didn't match the character's role as a big scary demon. Same thing for Tao Pai Pai and Tenshinhan, where he purposefully gave silly names to strong characters.
You're fine when it comes to an entire set of villains named after vegetables and dairy products for a galaxy-spanning empire? Frankly, "Baby" fits so much better because his whole deal actually has something to do with his name at all.
For the Saiyans, Toriyama says in DBZ Son Goku Densetsu that he named the Saiyans after vegetables because, as a warrior race, you'd tend to associate them with meat and protein and whatnot. So he decided to do the opposite. In DB Forever he says that with the Saiyans set as vegetables, he named the other aliens in Freeza's army after fruit in contrast, and Ginyu and co. after dairy products to keep the food theme going. Then Freeza, despite his name, was really named with a refrigerator in mind, because that's where you store vegetables, fruits, and dairy products.

Baby is similar to Cell in having a fairly direct reasoning behind his name. But of course for a Japanese audience, naming characters after English words isn't going to be nearly as obvious as for an English audience.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Then Freeza, despite his name, was really named with a refrigerator in mind, because that's where you store vegetables, fruits, and dairy products.
Ha. That's good! I never thought of that before.
:lol:

Anyway, I never minded the name Baby, it felt right to me. You know not judging him based on his name and all.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 am

Never really bugged me.

I'm just at a loss as to why people still spell it as "Bebi"...
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 am

Rukura wrote:Never really bugged me.

I'm just at a loss as to why people still spell it as "Bebi"...

It's fun when it's spelled "Bebi" and I read it as a Norwegian because that's how we say "baby" in the Norwegian way, lol.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah i just call him ベビー(Bebii) instead. It sounds better.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 pm

IMHO it really fits him as an artificially created beings. Scientists have sense of humour too and they often feel bonded to their experiments.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Rukura wrote:I'm just at a loss as to why people still spell it as "Bebi"...
I completely understand that I'm just refusing to fully translate it, despite the fact that it has a direct translation. I just don't really like the "Baby" spelling when it is affixed to the names of those he infects. Plus GT had some awful puns, with some being less obvious to the Japanese audience because they are foreign words, so I'm sort of reversing that idea with "Bebi" seeming like a less obvious spelling for the pun in English.

I do understand that I'm "wrong", I just don't care. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm

I used to hate "Baby" too, but after realizing how much babies are used in horror images, it kinda fits.