Opinions of English Narrators?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Opinions of English Narrators?

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Dale Kelly. Really gets you hyped up for the episode and does a great job for what the dub was going for.

Kyle Herbert. Does every thing Dale Kelly does without sounding to over the top. IMO his voice fits better with the Japanese OST with Eng dub from the Season Sets. Though for some reason I prefer Dale Kelly for the beginning of TV Special 2.

Andy Chadler. Nothing special though I suppose it goes well with Funi's dub of GT.

Brice Armstrong. Really well done fits well with the adventure theme DB has. Almost like a cross between the hype you up for the episode vibe Kyle Herbert and Dale Kelly had with the old man reading a story book vibe Jouji Yanami had.

Chris Sabat. Even though he only narrated one thing I thought he did a decent job.

Doc Morgon. Has the a similar vibe to Brice Armstrong but can sound to authoritative at times.

Big Green dub VA. Really well done. Who ever he was he had that old man reading a book vibe that the Japanese narrator had. Its a shame he was in such a bad dub.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Opinions of English Narrators?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Kelly - Shit, way too overacting.
Hebert - A good narrator, though a little too "hardcore", if you know what I mean.
Chandler - Haven't heard much, seemed like a younger version of Hebert, from what I remember.
Armstrong - Excellent, just like Yanami.
Morgan - Just like Armstrong.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

There's also Jim Conrad, Doc Harris and Steve Olsen.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Brice Armstrong and Doc Morgan are the only good English narrators. The others sound way too "pro wrestling announcer" for me. They might as well have Mean Gene do the narration.
Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Out of all the English narrators, I like Brice Armstrong and Doc Morgan the most.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Doc Harris - Amazing voice work that gives the dub a pumped up and mystical feeling whenever he's narrating.

Dale Kelly - I'll be perfectly honest, even with how amateur and monster-truck commentator sounding it was, I still prefer his over Hebert's, Kelly's was still over the top but I didn't find it as annoying.

Kyle Hebert - I preferred his earlier narration during the Great Saiyaman arc, as well as when he is calm like in Dead Zone, but it's when he gets all too hardcore and says 'DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEE' a lot that gets me annoyed. In most bits during the Freeza arc, I don't think even Kelly when that hardcore.

Andy Chandler - Average, I found him better than Kelly and Hebert, but not as much as Harris.

Brice Armstrong - Simply amazing, he really had the grandfather-reading-fairytale vibe when narrating like Yanami, and knew when to get a bit more heavy during big moments.

Chris Sabat - Even though he was only in World of DBZ, I still prefer it over Kelly and Hebert's.

Doc Morgan - Also amazing, he's like a mix between Harris and Armstrong. I would have loved to see him do the narration for Z instead.
Last edited by BluezaBladeNZ on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I believe David Kaye did it for this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y85RsoPZTEY

Sorry for the weird video, it's the only one I can find with good audio.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Ashura wrote:I believe David Kaye did it for this one:

I believe that was Jim Conrad, the second ever English Narrator for something Dragon Ball related.

First one goes to the Harmony Gold dub. Not sure who did that one.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Whoever did the narration for the original Dragonball. Like others mentioned he was the perfect storyteller kind of voice for English.

Otherwise and preferrably Jouji Yanami all the way.

Kyle Herbert would have been okay I guess, if they didn't add in all that stupid extra bits the dub added to the narration.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 pm

I like Kyle Hebert, Bryce Armstrong, and Doc Morgan the best.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Dale Kelly- Can't remember enough from him to really comment, sadly.

Kyle Herbert- His very initial Buu stuff was rough, but for later Buu and the first three arcs I've always liked him. I don't know how much of it was direction and how much of it was him, but he seemed to know how to make that kind of writing do what is was supposed to do without being straight obnoxious.

IMO his voice fits better with the Japanese OST with Eng dub from the Season Sets.

It most certainly does; one of my favorite points about that mix, probably why I'm speaking so highly of him. The pace of the narration actually syncs with the recap music pretty well from time to time.

Andy Chandler- Love his Coola, but sadly is was tailor-made for the dub soundtrack. I hear it sounds like a bad joke when played with the Japanese score on the Season Sets.

Brice Armstrong- Going to steal it.

Really well done fits well with the adventure theme DB has. Almost like a cross between the hype you up for the episode vibe Kyle Herbert and Dale Kelly had with the old man reading a story book vibe Jouji Yanami had.

Chris Sabat- Where was this?

Doc Morgan- Same vibe as Armstrong, but with more annunciation, unless I'm selling Brice short.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Despite not knowing the names of the narrators, these are my two favourite:

Dragon Ball Z Kai's & Ocean Dub's DBZ (The narrator whom was talking at the end of Gohan SSJ2 scene).

About Ocean Dub, the narrator is the same as the one for FUNimation's DBZ Dub? Definitely, he sounded the same with the same exact dialogue, which didn't make sense for Ocean's Dub DBZ because they never showed Freeza/Garlic Jr dub version.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 pm

First of all...
Ashura wrote:I believe David Kaye did it for this one:

Wow. I have never seen an updated animation for that opening before. Where did it come from? Did British stations continue to use that opening song when FUNimation redubbed, and they just decided to update some parts for later segments? But anyway, my opinions:

Jim Conrad and Doc Harris: Obviously the first two narrators I was ever introduced to, and I still think they're great to this day. Not completely over the top (maybe a bit more with Harris), but just both had a great set of pipes to get you motivated to see the fantastic and mystical.

Dale Kelley: Urf. Usually painful to listen to, although a lot of that was due to the ridiculous lines he was given. Only redeeming factor was that the combination sometimes worked for a "so bad it's good" laugh.

Kyle Hebert: When I first heard him for season 5, I thought he was a marked improvement without being the "ol' sandpaper voice"/monster truck announcer of Dale Kelley. Maybe he just faired better in direct comparison to what I was used to at the time, or maybe he just got a lost worse as he continued, but listening to him now he seems ALMOST as bad as his predecessor. But that's certainly a big almost.

Brice Armstrong and Doc Morgan: Just like Jim Conrad and the original Doc, these two both do a wonderful job. And just like the first two, they complement each other pretty well. Everything I said about that pair I can say about this pair.

GT Guy: Can't say I've ever watched any narration in GT in English, so I honestly have no idea...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 am

I like the one who did in the Blue Water dub because he doesn't sound too macho. I don't know his name, though.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:41 am

Dale Kelly - My favorite Narrator, but also the worst of them all. Overacted and had a bunch of stupid lines to say.
Kyle Hebert - Obviously he was having the time of his life voicing the Narrator. On one of his live stickcam shows he said that he really wishes that he was the Narrator in DBZ Kai.
Doc Harris - Haven't heard a lot to comment on him.
Brice Armstrong - THE BEST OF THEM ALL.
Doc Morgan - Don't like his Narrator voice, I kind of find it annoying at times.
Andrew Chandler - Listening to him with the Japanese recap music is a total clusterfuck, but I like his voice.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:54 am

I really like Brice Armstrong. He seems to best reflect Jouji Yanami. It has a very adventurous sound to his narration, but it's also calm and not over the top like the Z narrator.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:01 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Wow. I have never seen an updated animation for that opening before. Where did it come from? Did British stations continue to use that opening song when FUNimation redubbed, and they just decided to update some parts for later segments?
I'm pretty sure it's just a video some guy edited. Again, I unfortunately couldn't find a better quality video of the actual opening so had to settle for this weird one.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]