Did Kikuchi rip off James Bond?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Did Kikuchi rip off James Bond?

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 pm

I have been watching the Red Ribbon Army arc again, and first off, I have to say I forgot how amazing it is! It's funny, fun and overall great! Though I could go on with what they did right with it, that's not the topic at hand that I want to discuss about. What I did want to talk about is the music during that arc; it has a very James Bond feel to it and many times comes close to the actual James Bond themes. I don't know if any of you are James Bond fans but I am and I can tell you, there were times I felt Kikuchi was leaning to parody and other times I felt he was being a little bit of a Yammamoto. I may be looking at it the wrong way but seriously, some of those themes are heavily influenced by Bond!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Did Kikuchi rip off James Bond?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah, I love the Red Ribbon Army arc stuff. I thought Kikuchi was going for a strong 1960s spy movie motif and I think it paid off incredibly well.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 am

I never noticed it before until recently! I don't know why I didn't notice that before...

Though, I have to say, one of the songs, to me, sounded like it was almost note for note James Bond. I think it was in one of the cave episodes when Blue, with his men, is following Goku and co. cautiously.

I was sitting there thinking that maybe Kikuchi did get away with some "copycating" or in the least, a homage to that '60s spy motif.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 am

Yeah, the motif of Gneral Blue is based on the worldwide famous James Bond theme, but I definitely don't consider it as a rip-off since the James Bond theme is very common that it may plays at least once a day on Japanese TV. It's more like a parody also considering the existence of a Jaws-like track in early episodes. It is said that anime directors/producers often order a score by providing some specific examples from famous Hollywood films, like "Would you compose some pieces that sound like the score in the Matrix?". For your information, there is a track in Evangelion which sounds identical to a piece from one of the James Bond films.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:27 pm

This piece always struck me as James Bond-esque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQXEdVzQWw
Compare 0:30-0:40 with 0:00-0:07 (Heh, 0:07, 007) of the well-known James Bond theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM
It's not as in your face as, say, Yamamoto and Avatar, but I think it's there, unless it's just me.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:30 pm

kei17 wrote:Yeah, the motif of Gneral Blue is based on the worldwide famous James Bond theme, but I definitely don't consider it as a rip-off since the James Bond theme is very common that it may plays at least once a day on Japanese TV. It's more like a parody also considering the existence of a Jaws-like track in early episodes. It is said that anime directors/producers often order a score by providing some specific examples from famous Hollywood films, like "Would you compose some pieces that sound like the score in the Matrix?". For your information, there is a track in Evangelion which sounds identical to a piece from one of the James Bond films.
I think this is probably what Toei was going for. Something that sounded like James Bond and going from similar to almost identical. It works, and I find it very interesting!
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:This piece always struck me as James Bond-esque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQXEdVzQWw
Compare 0:30-0:40 with 0:00-0:07 (Heh, 0:07, 007) of the well-known James Bond theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM
It's not as in your face as, say, Yamamoto and Avatar, but I think it's there, unless it's just me.
Yup, it seems like they kind of reversed the notes on the scale to make that sound. Too much of coincidence don't ya think? Heck, maybe Kikcuhi loved James Bond for all we know? :D

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Uh oh. We should watch out that this doesn't get to Toei, otherwise we'll have no Dragon Ball score at all by this time next year. :wink:
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 pm

At first I thought that 00 in the 007 were Mr Popo's eyes and was getting kinda freaked out but when the 7 showed up I calmed down XD.

Yeah, I can hear the resemblance in the arrangement and how it's played but not enough to count as a ripoff for me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 pm

There was one Red Ribbon theme that was frequently used that sounded really Charlie's Angels-esque
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 pm

I thought he probably had Henry Mancini influence (Peter Gunn, Pink Panther)

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 12&t=16567
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:I thought he probably had Henry Mancini influence (Peter Gunn, Pink Panther)

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 12&t=16567
I can see that resemblance and the influence with that music. Good thread btw.
ThunderPX wrote:Uh oh. We should watch out that this doesn't get to Toei, otherwise we'll have no Dragon Ball score at all by this time next year. :wink:
Haha yeah! I am gonna try and find that song where it plays like Bond in the Blue arc.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 am

I found it!!!!

It's about 10 minutes in (sans intro but does include recap) in Dragonball episode 50 (FUNi's title is "The Trap is Sprung). It starts off with it's own tune but then starts to play a James Bond like theme but the notes are inverted (like instead of going high to low it goes low to high for example) At the same time it gives its own spin to it though; it may be hard to really call it a rip off. More of a homage or "make it sound like X's theme".

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Kikuchi was inspired by various genres and so it may end up sounding alike, still, it's not a rip-off, he had his own unique music style.

I'd love to hear the new tracks he composed for the Japanese shows in 2009-11, maybe with the Kanji names I'd find it.

Karl Benz invented the automobile (vehicle - car), so in a way, every other company committed a rip-off, according to some people (they were inspired in making their own, not stealing).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Karl Benz invented the automobile (vehicle - car), so in a way, every other company committed a rip-off, according to some people (they were inspired in making their own, not stealing).
Well, I wasn't saying he necessarily did rip it off. The one song is unreleased so the only time you'll ever hear it is in that episode.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Blue's theme also has James Bond type notes in it as I was just listening to it on the DB CD

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am

I'm wondering if Kikuchi actually ever stole something for one of his songs like with what Yamamoto did.

Man, the Dragon Ball franchise really has some shady aspects to it don't you think?
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 am

It's hard to say, but Blue's theme has way too many coincidences to not have any relation to James Bond. Seriously, the end of the song ends with the James Bond "DUN DUN DUN DAA!!!!"

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 am

Gonstead wrote:I'm wondering if Kikuchi actually ever stole something for one of his songs like with what Yamamoto did.
I think he never did it because he is well known as one of the most creative musical composers in Japan. If you suspect him, you'll have to suspect all other Japanese composers, too. It's not that I am trying to be authoritarian. It is a fact that he became famous thanks to his great creativity. Also, there are millions of Kikuchi fans among the otaku (not only anime, but tokusatsu, yakuza films, TV dramas, etc.) and billions of people all around the world have heard his compositions, but they've never found any rip-offs so far. He made many homages and parodies, though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 am

kei17 wrote:I think he never did it because he is well known as one of the most creative musical composers in Japan. If you suspect him, you'll have to suspect all other Japanese composers, too. It's not that I am trying to be authoritarian. It is a fact that he became famous thanks to his great creativity. Also, there are millions of Kikuchi fans among the otaku (not only anime, but tokusatsu, yakuza films, TV dramas, etc.) and billions of people all around the world have heard his compositions, but they've never found any rip-offs so far. He made many homages and parodies, though.
Thank you, Kei17.

Shunsuke Kikuchi isn't a thief as Kenji Yamamoto was/is, Kikuchi produces his own music with his ideals.

For Yamamoto to have lasted so many years robbing other musicians he surely had no respect for himself nor for his own work.

http://youtu.be/6BIiVNXCYO4 (Faulconer DBZ - Aristocratic British) this kind of sounds like something from Final Fantasy, Animal Crossing or other retro games, is this considered a rip-off?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 am

^^I don't really hear it.