What's worse Jaro or Geero?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

What's worse Jaro or Geero?

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:11 pm

These are the English dub (Ocean Jaro and Funi Geero) pronuncations of the name Dr Gero(pronounced Ge(Like Genki) and ro(like row your boat) For some reasons the English dubs seem to mess up the pronunciation of Dr Gero. What's worse though?
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What's worse Jaro or Geero?

Post by Dandroid17 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:19 pm

I thought in the funi version they always said Gero correctly? Doesn't sound like "Geero" to me..

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Dandroid17 wrote:I thought in the funi version they always said Gero correctly? Doesn't sound like "Geero" to me..
The FUNimation English dub -- as far as I know -- has always pronounced the character's name with a soft "g"-sound, and emphasize the trailing "o" as something like "je-ROH"... which... isn't accurate to the character's name as pronounced in Japanese.

Unlike some other names for the franchise in Japanese, it's a very simple, short, two syllable name (and do we not even have a pun source for it?): ゲロ (ge - ro). The "g" sound is a hard "g" sound, like in the word "get", and in fact the "ge" in "Gero" sounds pretty much like the "ge" in "get".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 pm

For the longest time I pronounced it "GEERO" because I thought it was a pun on the word "gear".
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

There other difference is Pikkon's name. In Ocean it sounds like Pee-kon but in Funimation they say Pie-kon. Personally I'm used to the Ocean pronunciations.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:24 pm

NitroEX wrote:There other difference is Paikuhan's name. In Ocean it sounds like Pee-kon...
NO-TEN P-KAN?

So We Gotta Power knew what the Ocean cast dub was gonna call Paikuhan?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm

The name Paikuhan is a pun or whatever of pike「パイク」 right? like the fish. In the Funimation dub they say it like Paikan, i guess cause saying pikehan or paikuhan would not sound good.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm

It's actually pork ribs (paiku) and rice (han). None of those other ones seem to be related to what the name actually comes from, at all.

As far as Doctor Gero, I've always wondered about why change the pronounciation if you're gonna leave the word as it is.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:10 pm

I didn't know that, years back i remember reading that Paikuhan's name was a pun of the fish called pike. And for Gero's name, again i guess Funimation figured saying it like the Japanese way wouldn't sound right to the english ear, either one is cool to me.

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 am

so let's see if i got this then...it's really supposed to sound like "Grrr-o"? lol

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 am

Dandroid17 wrote:so let's see if i got this then...it's really supposed to sound like "Grrr-o"? lol
No, it's not. I pretty clearly explained it above. It's two syllables: "ge" and "ro". The "ge" sounds like the beginning of "get", and the "ro" sounds like the beginning of "row".

Quite frankly, it's one of the easiest freakin' names in the entire show, and how they got it wrong is beyond me.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dandroid17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dandroid17 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Dandroid17 wrote:so let's see if i got this then...it's really supposed to sound like "Grrr-o"? lol
No, it's not. I pretty clearly explained it above. It's two syllables: "ge" and "ro". The "ge" sounds like the beginning of "get", and the "ro" sounds like the beginning of "row".

Quite frankly, it's one of the easiest freakin' names in the entire show, and how they got it wrong is beyond me.
Close enough lol. I just call him Android 20 :lol:

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am

I pronounce "Gero" like it rhymes with "arrow". 8)
-Joey

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:

They probably didn't "get it wrong" so much as intentionally embellished it to sound more fanciful, which would be par for the course for them at that time. It almost has a French or some other European bend as a result.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:01 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:They probably didn't "get it wrong" so much as intentionally embellished it to sound more fanciful, which would be par for the course for them at that time. It almost has a French or some other European bend as a result.
Because nothing says culture like an old man turned into a robot with his brain showing, and responsible for a giant cockroach of a monster lol. Honestly, though, I could've seen them giving nº19 a french accent for looking like a character out of a Cirque du Soleil production, but that's pretty much where that ends.

As for getting it wrong, I keep forgetting where the "Gero" comes from. (if from anything at all lol) What's that based on?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Rukura wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:They probably didn't "get it wrong" so much as intentionally embellished it to sound more fanciful, which would be par for the course for them at that time. It almost has a French or some other European bend as a result.
Because nothing says culture like an old man turned into a robot with his brain showing, and responsible for a giant cockroach of a monster lol. Honestly, though, I could've seen them giving nº19 a french accent for looking like a character out of a Cirque du Soleil production, but that's pretty much where that ends.

As for getting it wrong, I keep forgetting where the "Gero" comes from. (if from anything at all lol) What's that based on?
The ゲ(Ge) is pronounced Ge like Gay. The English dub(Funimation) pronounces it like ghee wiz! The English Dub(Ocean) pronounces it like Jar-ro.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:The ゲ(Ge) is pronounced Ge like Gay. The English dub(Funimation) pronounces it like ghee wiz! The English Dub(Ocean) pronounces it like Jar-ro.
Thanks for repeating your opening post. However, I was asking about the origin of the name.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Rukura wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:The ゲ(Ge) is pronounced Ge like Gay. The English dub(Funimation) pronounces it like ghee wiz! The English Dub(Ocean) pronounces it like Jar-ro.
Thanks for repeating your opening post. However, I was asking about the origin of the name.
Probably, Ancient Italy so I assume Latin? Was Latin the de facto tounge back then? I know it's of Romance origin.

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Rukura wrote:
Because nothing says culture like an old man turned into a robot with his brain showing, and responsible for a giant cockroach of a monster lol.
They probably thought the altered accent made the name sound "smarter" or something. Like a guy with a foreign accent on his surname is more competent at science. Just be glad they didn't give him a bad Albert Einstein impression for a voice. "VAT?! How is dees possible for yous to be dat strong!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm

http://youtu.be/aNHxs-zyqco - 01:04

Jê-rô

I just pronounce Dr. Gero, like game not jame.

The way FUNi's pronunciation is, Dr. Gero's name is French to me, sounds like such.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray