Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:The Kienzan against Cell's neck was filler wasn't it?
Yep. And even if you take it into consideration, Kuririn's Kienzan failed to cut Perfect Cell, while Tenshinhan's Kikoho could push back (the much weaker) Second Form Cell.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Yep. And even if you take it into consideration, Kuririn's Kienzan failed to cut Perfect Cell, while Tenshinhan's Kikoho could push back (the much weaker) Second Form Cell.
And that one attack from the much stronger Boo. The one that literally ate Kuririn up.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Rukura wrote:RE: Kuririn vs Tenshinhan
Whenever I compare Kuririn and Tenshinhan in my head, I see "guy who's signiture technique was broken by Cell('s neck)" vs "guy who held down Cell and blasted away one of Boo's attacks". Is there really any competition there? And regarding the Kikoho draining the user's life force...I fail to see where that makes Kuririn stronger than Tenshinhan. (And I'm not even much of a fan of Tenshinhan compared to Kuririn lol)
As said, Tenshinhan held back Cell on his second stage, Kuririn's Kienzan broke on Perfect Cell's neck during filler.
Tenshinhan's attacks tap into the user's life force, thus risking ones life, they are going to be much stronger than the users actual power in normal conditions, thus why they make Tenshinhan seem more powerful in comparison, it's mostly the same way Kaioken works, sorta.
Rukura wrote:And that one attack from the much stronger Boo. The one that literally ate Kuririn up.
Tenshinhan could have been eaten like any other character in the franchise if said character was hit by the beam, it completely ignores one's strength, has shown by the fact that even Vegetto was turned into a candy. That statement neither proves or disproves anything.

Again, I see nothing wrong with Kuririn having higher raw power than anyone else. Can Tenshinhan surpass him by risking his own life? Possibly, but maybe if Kuririn used the same techniques he would surpass Tenshinhan again.

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Say, looking at those figures a crazy idea came to mind, which I don't know if someone else has thought of it.
Anyways, is it possible that Vegeta's mind/conscious gets switched with another character's? Because that's just too weird a look for him to have in his right mind. And while looking at him, I thought he looked just like Pilaf when he was was talking to Piccolo Daimao back in Dragon Ball. So I looked at the Pilaf figure ...and he has a serious expression not unlike that of Vegeta's ...and I hope you guys see where I'm going with this. Is it too crazy an idea? Vegeta's and Pilaf's minds switched? because if it turns out to be the right idea, I'd find it simply hilarious... :lol:
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm

fogdark wrote:Say, looking at those figures a crazy idea came to mind, which I don't know if someone else has thought of it.
Anyways, is it possible that Vegeta's mind/conscious gets switched with another character's? Because that's just too weird a look for him to have in his right mind. And while looking at him, I thought he looked just like Pilaf when he was was talking to Piccolo Daimao back in Dragon Ball. So I looked at the Pilaf figure ...and he has a serious expression not unlike that of Vegeta's ...and I hope you guys see where I'm going with this. Is it too crazy an idea? Vegeta's and Pilaf's minds switched? because if it turns out to be the right idea, I'd find it simply hilarious... :lol:
That idea has been said many times throughout the topic, there's just to many pages so I understand if you missed it.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 pm

I also can't really think of a situation where Vegeta would make such a face and posture. Either he's being manipulated or bodies were swapped.

The entire posture looks like it could be from One Piece.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

TRL wrote:I think the main problem is, that this time the animators don't have a full manga to go by just a couple of concept sketches by Toriyama. It doesn't help that his face isn't like anything in dragonball so far.
How not? He is just a cat-looking guy with Babidi's traits.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:12 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:I also can't really think of a situation where Vegeta would make such a face and posture. Either he's being manipulated or bodies were swapped.

It does look very One Piece, but I like One Piece, and I like that Vegeta figurine. X3
I enjoy when ridiculous stuff befalls Vegeta; so I'm pretty pumped to learn what's going on with him there.

My other theory about this Vegeta is it could be a fake one created by Uisu (Explaining the different clothes.) and used to throw Goku off once he returns from Kaio-sama's.

With the body-swap; I originally did think it was Vegeta and Pilaf being swapped, but recently I've started to think it was Piccolo and Pilaf due to the Pilaf figurine's skin being Piccolo's shade of green. (Which would mean a blue Piccolo?). I also feel like Vegeta as Pilaf would be more of a loud anger than that low simmering anger on Pilaf's face that I kind of attribute more to Piccolo than Vegeta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Fox666 wrote:
TRL wrote:I think the main problem is, that this time the animators don't have a full manga to go by just a couple of concept sketches by Toriyama. It doesn't help that his face isn't like anything in dragonball so far.
How not? He is just a cat-looking guy with Babidi's traits.
In babidi's design the bulges are created by his eyeballs and the skin are his eyelids, which makes him look like he's constantly squinting his eyes.
Birusu's eyes are actually similar to abo and cado's. Far apart and halfmoon shaped. The bulges are bone in his design. So Birusu's eyes have been consistently been drawn wrong by the animators, starting with the poster by yamamuro.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Chuquita wrote:
InfernalVegito wrote:I also can't really think of a situation where Vegeta would make such a face and posture. Either he's being manipulated or bodies were swapped.

It does look very One Piece, but I like One Piece, and I like that Vegeta figurine. X3
I enjoy when ridiculous stuff befalls Vegeta; so I'm pretty pumped to learn what's going on with him there.

My other theory about this Vegeta is it could be a fake one created by Uisu (Explaining the different clothes.) and used to throw Goku off once he returns from Kaio-sama's.

With the body-swap; I originally did think it was Vegeta and Pilaf being swapped, but recently I've started to think it was Piccolo and Pilaf due to the Pilaf figurine's skin being Piccolo's shade of green. (Which would mean a blue Piccolo?). I also feel like Vegeta as Pilaf would be more of a loud anger than that low simmering anger on Pilaf's face that I kind of attribute more to Piccolo than Vegeta.
Or maybe Oolong shapeshifted into Vegeta. I could see that too.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Rukura wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
And that one attack from the much stronger Boo. The one that literally ate Kuririn up.
Kikoho's power isn't equal to Tenshinhan's or Kuririn's power, it's way above them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

Or maybe Oolong shapeshifted into Vegeta. I could see that too.
To try and draw attention away or to confuse Birusu? I could see that. Giving Oolong something to do would add to the pulling stuff from earlier DB that having Pilaf Gang present brings to the story. Unlike Puar, Oolong is able to fully transform without retaining any of his actual physical traits. That could definitely be a shapeshifted Oolong as Vegeta.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Yeah. I just don't know whether this will be an important plot device or just a funny unimportant scene.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Rukura wrote: And that one attack from the much stronger Boo. The one that literally ate Kuririn up.
That was an attack, he didn't do jack to Boo himself. The attack was intended to kill Dende, who isn't a fighter. Even Raditz might've been able to deflect it!
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:59 am

I suddenly realized; that final "mystery figurine" advertised as part of the movie tie-in set wasn't on display with the rest of the figures in the set at Jump Festa. That last figure's gotta be something plot-related, maybe something that even spoilers the climax of the film. *_*

A new transformation? A fusion? A completely new character?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:28 am

I'm voting for Uisu's true Makaio(shin) design, after he reveals himself as the puppet master! Hopefully similar to Towa's in DBO, so that we can get that debate over and done with. I mean, they both carry a staff and basically share the same skin color, hair color, eye color and lip color. So I'm waiting to see Uisu's ears become pointy and magically change his clothes to red and black.

I can dream, right? =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 am

DNA wrote: That idea has been said many times throughout the topic, there's just to many pages so I understand if you missed it.
Ah, I'm not surprised it has been brought up before. One just CAN'T overlook that expression on Vegeta's face and his posture. Well, he looks hilarious, and whatever it's happening to Vegeta (if that is indeed him) then it has a great potential to be incredibly funny.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 am

I was really hoping the character summaries on that one scan would hint at what's going on with Vegeta in whatever scene that figurine is from. Hilarious stuff happening to Vegeta was a wishlist item I had for this movie that I never thought would actually come true. I'm so anxious for the magazines to return from their end of the year break so I can hopefully get some hints about him.

Given Vegeta's personality, that's most likely:
A) Results of a magic spell cast on him
B) An imposter Vegeta
C) Results of a bodyswap

The more I think on it the more unlikely I think it is for that to be an in-character moment mostly because of his pose.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:22 pm

I don't know, I think it's just Vegeta reacting with over the top comedic surprise. If before or midway through the Boo arc they had released a figurine of Piccolo's reaction to the temple's destruction, people would have gone "ah, Babidi must have cast a spell on him!"
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 pm

So it is possible for him to be in-character in that figure? I'm so indecisive about if I think I think it is or not; I think it's probably because I feel like I don't have enough information to go on yet.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!