Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Would you consider hero toriyama's avatar in the dragon ball universe, based on his mannerism,and outward appearance ?

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

I thought the Toribot was his avatar

1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:54 pm

I kind of think of Senbe from Dr. Slump as his OC and Toribot as his avatar.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:40 am

I always felt Shen at the 23rd Budokai was Toriyama's way of entering himself in the tournament.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Well, they both have glasses, and...that's about it, really.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I dunno. I mean The Author is his actual drawing of himself in Dr. Slump, and that tournament in Dragon Ball isn't that terribly long after that, but Shen looks much much older than what Toriyama last portrayed himself. I think he was in his late 20's, maaaaaybe early 30's during that arc of Dragon Ball, but Shen looks to be in his late 40's.
Last edited by Travis Touchdown on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:15 pm

shonenhikada wrote:Would you consider hero toriyama's avatar in the dragon ball universe, based on his mannerism,and outward appearance ?

What are you referring to by "hero"?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Ah. At first I thought he was referring to one of the DBHeroes characters or something, then I remembered that the FUNi dub changed Shen's name to Hero.

No, gonna have to go with the Tori-bot. :P :D
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

caejones wrote:FUNi dub changed Shen's name to Hero.
Oh, FUNimation again... :x
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
caejones wrote:FUNi dub changed Shen's name to Hero.
Oh, FUNimation again... :x
Yeah, it's because they'd already applied "Shen" to Tsuru-sennin...for some reason.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Pick whichever you like

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:57 pm