Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJGoku93

Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Post by SSJGoku93 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:49 am

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/05/nintendo-e3-rumors/

Wii U Daily reports -
When asked if “a certain Super Saiyan” would join Smash Bros (since Namco is involved), he said it “hasn’t been decided yet, but there is a chance".
So, does this mean Goku could potentially be joining the Super Smash Bros. roster when the next game in the series releases? Or... is it just a rumor that will evidently go up in smoke. I thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Thoughts?
Last edited by SSJGoku93 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hurting innocent people is something I don't tolerate!" - Goku

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Goku joins the "Smash Bros." roster?

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 am

Apparently it's a rumor from the IGN forums...

So I'm putting about as much stock in it as I would the DB Wikia.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 am

I've also heard rumors the next Smash Bros will be for both Wii U and the 3DS. While I don't plan on getting a Wii U, I do have a 3DS; so I'd definitely buy the game.

If Goku were to be in it, I'd prefer he keep his original voice; as I don't really like his Funi dub voice anymore (for Goku in English I prefer TFS's MasakoX).

Even if Goku isn't in the next Smash Bros, if the 3DS rumor at least is true, I'll still buy a copy.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 am

I also have a 3DS, with no plans for a Wii U. So I'd certainly like for the next smash to be released on there, and if Goku is in I'll be overjoyed.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 am

Chuquita wrote:I've also heard rumors the next Smash Bros will be for both Wii U and the 3DS.
That's not a rumor. At E3 in 2011, Nintendo said they would be releasing the next Smash Bros. on both Wii U and 3DS.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 14, 2013 4:15 am

I'm not expecting it to happen, but I certainly wouldn't complain so long as he's handled well.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 14, 2013 4:40 am

Would be a risky move if Namco Bandai were to be serious about this because Wii U just isn't profitable to make it worth.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 am

So Super Smash Bros isn't just Nintendo anymore?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue May 14, 2013 6:19 am

Fizzer wrote:So Super Smash Bros isn't just Nintendo anymore?
Well, Brawl already had "third party" characters like Sonic. I suppose you could argue that Sonic has been on Nintendo consoles, but so has Goku, I guess.

The fact that Goku isn't a video game character makes it seem less likely to me. I guess there's a first time for everything, but...I'll believe this one when I see it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 am

Fizzer wrote:So Super Smash Bros isn't just Nintendo anymore?
Define "isn't just Nintendo".

The property itself is owned by Nintendo. They created it. It's theirs. Nintendo properties simply do not exist on other platforms.* Just because Namco-Bandai is helping to develop the game does not suddenly mean it's going to be ported to Sony's or Microsoft's platforms.

Third-party characters started making their way into the game this past generation with Brawl, though, with the inclusion of Sonic and Snake. That doesn't somehow mean the entire thing is going to start being taken over by third-party characters, but there exists an opportunity for more to be included.

* except in some of those rare old cases like Super Mario Bros. on the MSX, but we're talking modern-Nintendo, here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:06 am

Please let this be true!!! It would be awesome to watch Goku VS Sonic or something like that!
However, if he were to be included, which Goku would they include?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 am

Hmm seems I was beaten to making a tread about this, well thats Kanzenshuu for you lol :) .

Anyways it would be cool as hell if he made it in the game, I can only imagine how awesome it would be if Boo was an assist trophy and turning very one into candy.

I would think Goku would be hella cheap though, he has strength, speed , Kaioken which increases power, Super Saiyan which increases power even more, shoot energy blast , he can fly and teleport. If the Spirit Bomb is his final smash on the right stage it could probably engulf the entire arena. I'm sure they'll balance him out though.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm

I highly doubt it's true, and in a way I kind of don't want it to be true. The whole fun of Smash Bros. to me is getting to use Nintendo (and occasional third-party characters thanks to Brawl, and I do love kicking butt with Snake and Sonic) characters to beat up other Nintendo characters. If I want to kick butt with Goku, I have a plethora of DBZ games I can pop in. So I'd rather whatever slot would be used for Goku be used for someone else. Like...I'unno. King K. Rool still hasn't made it into a game, or maybe Robotnik to go along with Sonic.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm

If anyone wants to play as Goku in a Super Smash Bros game, try Battle Stadium D.O.N which is pretty much the SSB for PS2. Great fun game, though only released in Japan.

When they turn giants that's hilarious. :lol:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Why exactly would Goku be in this game?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Why exactly would Goku be in this game?
Because NB is developing it, I believe.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

songohan619 wrote:
Namco Bandai is publishing Project X Zone and there's no Goku, it's just a thing to do with licensing and such, I think.

I'll to buy a 3DS eventually because this game looks a blast to play, plus many others available for 3DS.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 pm

songohan619 wrote:
A) Namco Bandai does not own Dragon Ball.
B) Did Game Arts characters appear in Brawl because they developed that game?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Would be a risky move if Namco Bandai were to be serious about this because Wii U just isn't profitable to make it worth.
What does the Wii U's popularity have anything to do with Gokuu being in the game or not? If Namco Bandai's already assisting in the development of Smash 4, then what risk would they have putting a character in it?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Insertclevername wrote:What does the Wii U's popularity have anything to do with Gokuu being in the game or not? If Namco Bandai's already assisting in the development of Smash 4, then what risk would they have putting a character in it?
Wasting additional costs which they wouldn't get back from the sales. Well, with Dragon Ball Z For Kinect as an example, Namco Bandai really is capable of anything regardless how unsatisfactory the sales might be.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray