What's the best quality release with Faulconer Prod. music?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's the best quality release with Faulconer Prod. music?

Post by MasterVampire » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:32 am

So I'm looking to expand my anime dvd/bluray collection.

Can anyone tell me whats the best release to buy for DBZ that has the american bruce faulconer music?
And I mean best picture quality. Remastered, HD, whatever.

Thanks

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: What the best quality release with bruce faulconer music

Post by Gonstead » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:39 am

Your best option would be to go for the single sets, which would be what you are looking for.

Unless you wish to go with the Season Sets, but they have their own issues with being cropped to widescreen, over-saturated colours, overly bright, DVNR destroys the picture etc.

Question:What would you buy for episodes which don't contain the music you want?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:49 am

Gonstead wrote:Your best option would be to go for the single sets, which would be what you are looking for.

Unless you wish to go with the Season Sets, but they have their own issues with being cropped to widescreen, over-saturated colours, overly bright, DVNR destroys the picture etc.

Question:What would you buy for episodes which don't contain the music you want?
I think season sets would be better and more complete.
What are they called that you are refering to?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 am

Orange Bricks.

Actually, if you watch an episode of DBZ on Hulu, I'm pretty sure that is Orange Bricks footage - so you can see for yourself. The Hulu version doesn't have Falcouner score, but the Orange Brick will.

*I dunno if regular Hulu has DBZ, but Plus does.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:19 am

I'd say it depends on what TV you have. The old Funi singles wouldn't look good on a HD TV but the Remastered sets despite their issues would still look more natural on a HD TV. I personally don't think the Orange Bricks look that bad. A lot of people like to post single-frame shots from them just to show them at their absolute worst but you really don't notice problems in a single-frame when watching. True the colours are saturated to an extent but this has never prevented me from enjoying the show and it does get a lot better in later seasons.

And I've noticed how people always seem to complain about the cropping of the top and bottom yet always fail to mention the fact that you get to see extra stuff at the side to make up for it.

Also the Bricks would be much more shelf-convenient in that they'd take up less space. And they're more affordable and easier to get a hold of. Unless you want Funi's original dub without any re-dubbed dialogue in which case the singles would be the better option.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:24 am

The issue with the cropping though is that you BARELY actually get anything on the sides that would make it worth it. You lose more picture than you gain.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 am

It doesn't matter what kind of TV you have, the orange brick season sets are the worst quality of DBZ you can find short of RealPlayer encodes from 1996. Avoid them at all costs. Your picture will be substantially missing footage, and what's left will be an oversaturated mess with disappearing animation lines.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:37 am

That said, if price point is a concern, I feel it's still worth pointing out that the Season Sets probably are the winner in that regard. Even at full price, which you can easily find them cheaper than that, they're only $20 a pop for just 9 sets. There's no telling what you're going to be paying to get all of the old singles. That and shelf space may be an issue where the sets are the better option too, if you'd rather conserve it.

Okay, semi-defending the Season Sets over. You guys can put away the pitchforks, I just felt like some of the few positives did need brought up as well. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:04 am

The one I have is the same as what's shown here:
https://webshop.cashconverters.com.au/i ... vd-box-set

Not sure if they are around any more, (and being a madman release might mean they were Australia-only), but i must admit it is pretty pricey, i think i went on amazon after buying it, just to compare prices((i found it in a country store while on holiday XD Just the one, never seen it in another store before or since)) and it worked out to cost the same as buying all the seasons seperate, but still, it's neat and convenient.). So if you can find it I definitely recommend, though being 9 seasons it's always going to be pretty expensive no matter what you go for.

I think it's kinda a scam that packs like this are so limited, forcing people to buy anime separately just so they can just up the prices and mess with availability(they certainly don't do it for the consumers benefit, and only a select few series' get box sets i notice). It's a real pain.

This 'DBZ Complete Series Remastered' has audio of:
US soundtrack with Eng, JP soundtrack with Eng, and full japanese, which is nice.
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 am

Well I still stand by the view that the orange bricks aren't all that bad. It surely says something that the majority of people who've bought them don't even notice any problem with them and just enjoy them for the Funi dub they watched on Toonami. I'll even put my hand up and admit I didn't notice anything apart from the cropping when I first watched them. The cropping really isn't that big a deal to me personally. It's rare that you miss out on anything important.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:It doesn't matter what kind of TV you have, the orange brick season sets are the worst quality of DBZ you can find short of RealPlayer encodes from 1996. Avoid them at all costs. Your picture will be substantially missing footage, and what's left will be an oversaturated mess with disappearing animation lines.
The portion of the sets that have the Faulconer music are signifcantly better looking than the Seasons 1 and 2 releases, and seasons 6-9 don't even have the disappearing line problems.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't deny that it gets "better," but that's a very relative term when talking about these, and at no point do they fix the biggest problem... the fact that you're missing a huge chunk of the picture! And so even with those "improvements," "seasons" 6-9 still have the worst video quality of any release of those episodes.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Any release where you can't hear it is the best one.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:41 pm

penguintruth wrote:Any release where you can't hear it is the best one.
He's here all week, ladies and germs.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

I clicked on this thread knowing this would be here. Well done.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 am

Manga UK has announced plans to bring out a complete set around Christmas time containing all 9 Orange Bricks (likely based on the Madman one put out a few years ago), but this could potentially set you back a good couple of 100 dollars.

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:09 am

I would say the singles, VHS or DVD (VHS would probably be cheaper)

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 am

Fuck man how do you come up with this material?! You are too goddamn funny! Hey, remember that other post you made that other time in that other topic, where you implied something in the dub was shit? I forget which topic it was in but it cracked me the hell up! Never change man, never change!

"Any release where you can't hear it", ahahahahaha! Too good!
­

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:56 am

Yet I am sure you got into DBZ thanks to FUNimation and Faulconer. And it's obvious you secretly prefer FUNimation's version, otherwise you wouldn't go out of your way to insult it every time someone mentions that dub. You're like a little girl who has a crush.

:)
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:04 am

Well, MasterVampire, here are your two options:

1) The Season Sets (nicknamed the "Orange Bricks" their......um......orange.....brick-like.....appearance), of which there are nine.* They have the American broadcast music.** They're also very affordable, and they have the most options when it comes to audio tracks (English dub with American broadcast music, English dub with original Japanse music, and original Japanese audio). The downside is that, visually, they really look...kinda bad. How bad they look depends on who you ask. If you ask me, they look kinda bad. If you ask most people on this forum, they look horrendous. Buying these sets is a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal...but based on what you said you're looking for, these sound like your best bet.

2) The Single DVDs. Before FUNimation was releasing box sets, they were releasing single DVDs with a few episodes per disc. They look better than the Season Sets. The problem is, they're no longer in print, some discs are harder to find than others, there's a *TON* of them, and in the long run it could quite possibly end up costing you more than if you just got the Season Sets. Furthermore, I don't believe all of DBZ was consistently released this way. Finally, on top of that, they don't have as many audio tracks. True, they have the American broadcast music track, which is what you really wanted, but...y'know. Just saiyan.

Technically, you do have more than two options, but these two are really the only two that you would be interested in based on what you're looking for. The other options have different kinds of shortcomings. For example, the DVD box sets known as the "Dragon Boxes" look much better than the Season Sets, but they're much more expensive, no longer in print, and don't have the American broadcast music audio track. Then, there's the Blu-ray sets, which look even better than the Dragon Boxes AND have all three of the possible audio tracks....but FUNimation only released a few of these before cancelling them (most likely due to poor sales). If they had completed the Blu-ray release line, I would have recommended that for you, but....alas....

Then there's the VHS releases. I think all those releases are edited, not uncut. On top of that, you have all the problems with the Single DVDs, but even worse.

*Technically, "seasons" are not accurate when describing how DBZ was divided up, but Season 1 and most of Season 2 don't have Bruce Faulconer's score.

**I use the term "American broadcast music" rather than "Bruce Faulconer's music" because Season 1 and most of Season 2* feature American broadcast music by another composer who wasn't Bruce Faulconer, and you can tell because the music is stylistically very different (and, in my opinion, a good opportunity for you to give the Japanese music a chance). The English dubbing history of DBZ is VERY convoluted and complicated, but basically, Season 1 and most of Season 2 were the last things that FUNimation dubbed with their in-house, Texas-based cast. By the time they went back to redub those episodes (as they had already been dubbed by the Ocean Group voices), FUNimation was no longer working with Bruce Faulconer.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."