Three-Eyed People & Tenshinhan

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Three-Eyed People & Tenshinhan

Post by Nazi Cola » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 am

In the manga, Tenshinhan displayed the ability to split himself into four people, and grow extra arms. The Daizenshuu says both are characteristics of the Three-Eyed People, and specifically says the latter is beyond "human limits."

Is there any explanation for this in the manga, or is that all we have? I mean, Piccolo refers to him as an Earthling alongside Krillin when they're searching for Gero's lab, but that's about it for his racial makeup mentions in the manga.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Three-Eyed People & Tenshinhan

Post by sonikku956 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:In the manga, Tenshinhan displayed the ability to split himself into four people, and grow extra arms. The Daizenshuu says both are characteristics of the Three-Eyed People, and specifically says the latter is beyond "human limits."

Is there any explanation for this in the manga, or is that all we have? I mean, Piccolo refers to him as an Earthling alongside Krillin when they're searching for Gero's lab, but that's about it for his racial makeup mentions in the manga.
Well, Ten is mostly human, but he is the descendent of the descendents of aliens.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Seeing as Chiaotzu, Gyumao, the King of Earth, Turtle, Pilaf, and Giran are all considered Earthlings, I don't see why people seem insistent on not counting Tien just because he has a drop of alien blood. I mean, I'm American, but I have Italian ancestors. Does than make me any less American? Tien is always grouped with the other Earthlings, is never mentioned in the series to be anything but an Earthling, and considers himself an Earthling, so it just seems to be people who for some reason can't accept the information that we're given multiple times about him not being the strongest Earthling who are insisting that he be counted as an alien, even though nothing, including the publication that mentions his ancestry, considers him to be one.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Earthling is not a race.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:52 am

It's a weird sort of detail that no one in the series knows about, added because everyone else was getting Sci Fi-ish explanations. And by everyone, I mean the major characters (Chaozu kinda got left out).
It's also a reference to something, if I remember correctly.
Eh, Toriyama might have thought of it around the time of Kami, just like the other alien plots that he thought of around that time, and just never did anything with it. It strikes me as probably coming after the manga was completed, though, unless I missed some reference from the past year or two.

I like to think that Earth's previous Kami had three eyes, and occasionally split into four when he needed to send someone down to talk to people. That is, of course, pure fanfiction, but eh.

(Why didn't they say Chaozu is a vampire who is so dang weak because Kami won't let him feed on people? Maybe Chaozu tried to eat Nappa, and blew up because there was just too much in there? This would also explain why he becomes such a good cook: he has to make up for his lack of yummy people-juice somehow, so it'd better be delicious.)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Even Daizenshuu 4, which introduces the whole "Tenshinhan is descended from the alien Three-Eyed Clan" thing in the first place, still places him in the Earthling section of the book's racial guide. It's even in the "Earthlings with special powers" sub-section there that they mention the alien Three-Eyed Clan bit. So Tenshinhan is still definitely supposed to count as an Earthling, just one with some partial alien ancestry.

Anyway, there's nothing about Tenshinhan's Three-Eyed Clan ancestry in the actual series ands as far as I know it's first mentioned in Daizenshuu 4. The closest thing is the way everybody freaks out and is dumbfounded when Tenshinhan grows his extra arms/splits into four people, implying it isn't something ordinary people can do (Kame-sennin even says "there's. I way" Goku could grow arms like that). On the other hand the anime has Kuririn apparently split into three people when fighting Nappa, without any explanation. Meanwhile, the DB Adventure Special glibly notes that "no matter how much you train, you won't be able to grow more arms".
caejones wrote:It's also a reference to something, if I remember correctly.
Well, "Three-Eyed Clan" is also the name of Sharaku's (terrestrial) race in the very aptly-named Osamu Tezuka manga The Three-Eyed One, and it's used in a couple other manga/anime as well. But it's also such a generic term that it's use in DB isn't necessarily a reference to any of those prior uses.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm

You may already know this, but Tenshinhan has three eyes because he is inspired by Erlang Shen from Journey to the West. Erlang Shen's 'third eye' is what allowed him to see through Sun Wukong's myriad transformations, including turning into a house.

Just like Sun Wukong, Erlang Shen can transform into different shapes, become an animal, split his body into multiple clones and do all kinds of fancy martial arts. I don't recall off the top of my head if he specifically grows extra arms, but it's well within his reach [pun intended].

I feel like the Daizenshuu's explanation, which hey, may be straight from the mouth of Toriyama (who knows), seems like a post-hoc explanation for something because they didn't know enough about Journey to the West. Saying he's an alien seems right in line with any of the other easy explanations for other character's unique abilities and qualities.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 am

DerekPadula wrote:You may already know this, but Tenshinhan has three eyes because he is inspired by Erlang Shen from Journey to the West.
That's never been officially confirmed anywhere. It could be, but three eyes are an incredibly common trait in Eastern mythology and fantasy works in general, so there's no reason Tenshinhan's three eyes would have to be inspired by Erlang Shen.
I feel like the Daizenshuu's explanation, which hey, may be straight from the mouth of Toriyama (who knows), seems like a post-hoc explanation for something because they didn't know enough about Journey to the West.
Goku's monkey tail is inspired by Journey to the West, and obviously that ended up with an alien explanation. Likewise, while Kinto-un and Nyoibo don't get alien origins in DB, their DB origins are still completely different from those of their JttW counterparts. So even if Tenshinhan's third eye was inspired by Erlang Shen, there's really no reason to expect the DB explanation for his third eye to match up with the JttW one.

Besides, the daizenshuu don't even use the "Three-Eyed Clan" tidbit to explain Tenshinhan's third eye, amusingly enough. Rather, it's always invoked only as an explanation for how Tenshinhan can grow extra arms and split into four people. They never even specify that the reason he has three eyes is because of his Three-Eye Clan ancestors, though obviously that's the implication.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I wrote a response with further evidence to show that my opinion is right, but I don't feel like posting it anymore. It seems kind of silly to discuss such things. You're right that it has not been officially stated, so it's just an opinion.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the next book or interview reveals any new info on the subject.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:32 pm

You should still post it. The forum is dedicated to this kind of thing and it would be good info all around.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:In the manga, Tenshinhan displayed the ability to split himself into four people, and grow extra arms. The Daizenshuu says both are characteristics of the Three-Eyed People, and specifically says the latter is beyond "human limits."

Is there any explanation for this in the manga, or is that all we have?
There is also Toriyama's answer in this question:
(11) What's up with the third eye on my main man Tenshinhan? Is Tenshinhan human?
- Charles Moyer, California; Evan Coltin, Via Internet
T: In certain parts of Asia, beings with a third eye on their forehead are thought to be godlike and are said to possess the power of true seeing. It seems that Tenshinhan, who was raised by the evil Tsuru-Sen'nin [Crane Hermit], lost the ability to use the myriad powers of his third eye for good purposes.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.