Why didn't Goku teach anyone teleportation?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Why didn't Goku teach anyone teleportation?

Post by thatdbzguy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:04 pm

He had plenty of time to do so.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why Didn't Goku Teach Anyone Instant Transmission?

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:36 pm

The same reason why no one knows:
Kaioken
Genki Dama
Garlic Canon
Special beam cannon(Imagine if Piccolo taught Gohan that in the MANGA)
Ki Blast Canon
Wolf Fang Fist(Besides Gotenks...apparently)
Big Bang Attack
Final Flash(You would think Vegeta taught Trunks some attacks)

Pretty sure everyone wanted to use their on move-sets or fight in their fighting style rather than use some else's attack. I mean Goku even said "Tien I'm borrowing your attack!". After that Goku never used Tayioken again. Krillin used it a few times as well. So unless they're in danger they won't use each others attacks. Even then it's defensive attacks or attacks that work against stronger people like Kiezen or Tayioken.

Mr. Piccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Piccolo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:43 am

Perhaps he didn't think it was useful enough? I mean, it is a very useful technique, but Goku may have found other things to be more important.

Just as one example, if I recall correctly, Goku’s training with Gohan in the Room of Spirit and Time mostly focused on Gohan becoming a Super Saiyan and then mastering the Super Saiyan state to the point where he could go about his daily routine as a Super Saiyan. In the midst of that, he may have just forgotten about teaching Gohan Instant Transmission.
Kami is my co-pilot.

Strife1
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strife1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:43 am

If Goku taught other people his techniques, then he wouldn't save the day everytime. He can't have anyone taking his glory.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:16 am

I've always been bothered by the fact that Gohan shows some evidence of having Piccolo as a teacher, but never does anything besides a generic "Kamehameha" to show he fights like his father.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 am

Duo wrote:I've always been bothered by the fact that Gohan shows some evidence of having Piccolo as a teacher, but never does anything besides a generic "Kamehameha" to show he fights like his father.
Its also always bothered me that he only had one unique technique, which was forgotten about after Namek.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:33 am

Kid Buu wrote:
Duo wrote:I've always been bothered by the fact that Gohan shows some evidence of having Piccolo as a teacher, but never does anything besides a generic "Kamehameha" to show he fights like his father.
Its also always bothered me that he only had one unique technique, which was forgotten about after Namek.
Gohan had a unique technique?

Anyway, same reason no one but Tenshinhan used the Shin Kikoho. Give that to Gohan and not even Buutenks is a problem.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 am

Yeah, the Masenko.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 am

Kid Buu wrote:Yeah, the Masenko.
Didn't he steal that from Piccolo?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 am

Huh, that's odd. Doing some research now and Piccolo used it in original DB filler. Did he use it in the comic for DB? Or did Toriyama just take the attack from the cartoon?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:43 am

Kid Buu wrote:Huh, that's odd. Doing some research now and Piccolo used it in original DB filler. Did he use it in the comic for DB? Or did Toriyama just take the attack from the cartoon?
King Piccolo did it as well.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:45 am

No, that's the Makosen. The Masenko was only ever used by Gohan, although gudebooks say it's Piccolo's technique. It's a shame Gohan didn't keep using it and just used the Kamehameha for everything after his training with Goku.

edit: And the filler technique Piccolo used was a generic blast, the DB wiki just labels it a Masenko because they like doing things like that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:51 am

Saiga wrote:No, that's the Makosen. The Masenko was only ever used by Gohan, although gudebooks say it's Piccolo's technique. It's a shame Gohan didn't keep using it and just used the Kamehameha for everything after his training with Goku.

edit: And the filler technique Piccolo used was a generic blast, the DB wiki just labels it a Masenko because they like doing things like that.
No it wasn't. According to Kanzenshuu.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 3&start=60

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:54 am

Saiga wrote:No, that's the Makosen. The Masenko was only ever used by Gohan, although gudebooks say it's Piccolo's technique. It's a shame Gohan didn't keep using it and just used the Kamehameha for everything after his training with Goku.

Is there even any difference between the Makosen and Masenko except for the slightly different names?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:

Is there even any difference between the Makosen and Masenko except for the slightly different names?
Actually Makosen is quite different.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:59 am

Wait, what attack is Piccolo Jr using in the above image?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:01 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Wait, what attack is Piccolo Jr using in the above image?
Masenko. Hence the Gohan comparison

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Wait, what attack is Piccolo Jr using in the above image?
Masenko. Hence the Gohan comparison
But that doesn't resemble the stance he had when he fired the Masenko against Nappa.

You know what, never mind, it doesn't really matter. There's dozens of attacks like that with the exact same function, with the only real difference being the stance when the blast is fired and, in the anime, the color. I don't even count those as unique techniques, because really, what's different about them? What's the difference between the Kamehameha, Masenko, and Galick Gun? Unique attacks more along the lines of Piccolo's SBC, Goku's Genki-Dama, Krillin's Kienzan, Freeza's Death Beam/Imprisonment Ball/Death Saucer/Nova Strike, Gotenks' Kamikaze Ghosts, and Buu's Transmutation Beam.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 am

Because that wouldn't make Goku any stronger. So he has no motivation to do so.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:You know what, never mind, it doesn't really matter. There's dozens of attacks like that with the exact same function, with the only real difference being the stance when the blast is fired and, in the anime, the color. I don't even count those as unique techniques, because really, what's different about them? What's the difference between the Kamehameha, Masenko, and Galick Gun? Unique attacks more along the lines of Piccolo's SBC, Goku's Genki-Dama, Krillin's Kienzan, Freeza's Death Beam/Imprisonment Ball/Death Saucer/Nova Strike, Gotenks' Kamikaze Ghosts, and Buu's Transmutation Beam.
Then I'm pretty sure Gohan and Trunks are the only one without a unique attack.

Yamcha - Sodiken
Kuririn - Kienzen (later borrowed by Vegeta, Eighteen, & Goku)
Tenshinhan - Tri-Beam, Solar Flare (later borrowed by Goku & Kuririn)
Chaotzu - Telekinesis Powers
Piccolo - Special Beam Cannon
Vegeta - Has Big Bang Attack and Final Flash, but those are really just glorified Ki Blasts. I suppose the Energy Rings that Majin Vegeta used in filler could count.
Trunks - Burning Attack, but mostly just glorified Ki Blast.
Gotenks - Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack

I find it hilarious that Freeza's finisher move is just a combination of the series two butt-monkey's finishers (Yamcha's Sodiken & Kuririn Kienzen), no wonder the move backfired and made Freeza defeat himself.