Things that didn't make sense in-universe

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Things that didn't make sense in-universe

Post by Hades » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm

We can al overlook a lot of things that happen in dragonball, but what things just don't make sense?

- Freeza not having spare scouters on board his ship. You have spare uniforms in case they get damaged, so what happened to all the spare scouters on-ship when the Namekians destroyed them?
- Mighty Mask lasting so long before being noticed.
- Everyone believing Mr. Satan saved the universe when he's a fraud.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Things that didn't make sense in-universe

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:45 pm

Hades wrote:We can al overlook a lot of things that happen in dragonball, but what things just don't make sense?

- Freeza not having spare scouters on board his ship. You have spare uniforms in case they get damaged, so what happened to all the spare scouters on-ship when the Namekians destroyed them?
- Mighty Mask lasting so long before being noticed.
- Everyone believing Mr. Satan saved the universe when he's a fraud.
People wanted to believe Mr. Satan saved the universe. First, with the Cell Games, he made a big deal about being the one to beat Cell, and, voila! Cell is defeated, and Mr. Satan is claiming victory. The general populace doesn't know what happened, only that Mr. Satan seemed to back up on his promise to beat Cell.

Enter Buu-same situation. He promised to be the one to beat Buu, he's there during the fight with Buu, nobody really knows what's going on, and Buu is defeated. Who is the general public more likely to believe beat Buu; the proclaimed Savior of Earth, or some guy who nobody knows? Especially when their savior is telling them that he is using the attack that kills Buu. And it's not like Goku and co. do anything to dispel the notion. It makes perfect sense for the general public to believe Mr. Satan.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Trunks destroying Freeza's spaceship.

Dude, that's a free spaceship! A FREE SPACESHIP.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:Trunks destroying Freeza's spaceship.

And speaking of, I'm surprised that with all the fights on Earth, humanity hasn't gone full manhattan project and created offworld colonies.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Mr. Satan is the strongest non-z fighter human which is why everyone believe that he killed Cell and Buu. I bet at the end of GT, he most likely got the credit for killing all of the Shadow Dragons.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:34 pm

If Dragon Ball were made in recent times I assume Mr. Satan wouldn't have anything even approaching the blind, universal praise. There would probably be shrewd observers making numerous websites pointing out all of the logic holes in his "feats."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:06 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:If Dragon Ball were made in recent times I assume Mr. Satan wouldn't have anything even approaching the blind, universal praise. There would probably be shrewd observers making numerous websites pointing out all of the logic holes in his "feats."
They would probably be treated like conspiracy theorists though.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:23 pm

mAcChaos wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:If Dragon Ball were made in recent times I assume Mr. Satan wouldn't have anything even approaching the blind, universal praise. There would probably be shrewd observers making numerous websites pointing out all of the logic holes in his "feats."
In the age where everyone and their dog has smartphones, not so much.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:37 pm

mAcChaos wrote:
It would be funny if there someone watching over every battle of the Z fighters and trying to prove to the people of Earth that the Goku and the others are not human.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Hades wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:
In the age where everyone and their dog has smartphones, not so much.
The cameras weren't able to catch any of the fighting during the tournament, and nobody else was around anyway.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Oh boy, here we go again with the Cell Games Truthers.

FFS, take off your tinfoil hats. Mr. Satan beat Cell.

You're the same as the people who asked to see King Furry's birth certificate.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's the proof that Mr. Satan defeated Cell. Totally legit.

You guys are just haters, everybody knows the only one stronger than Mr. Satan is Farmer with Shotgun.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Huh. I'd never thought about that. I wonder if Goku destroyed their spaceship in Trunks' timeline as well?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:

Huh. I'd never thought about that. I wonder if Goku destroyed their spaceship in Trunks' timeline as well?
That's something I never understood about humanity. I mean, when Apocalyptic cataclysms visit your planet as a regular occurrence, surely the King of Earth would be saying "fuck this, we're expanding into the solar system!".

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I never liked that Picolo regenerated after Krillin destroyed him as a statue. Freeza shooting him the chest almost kills him, but smashing him into bits doesn't affect him at all.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:I never liked that Picolo regenerated after Krillin destroyed him as a statue. Freeza shooting him the chest almost kills him, but smashing him into bits doesn't affect him at all.
There is not only a significant difference between Piccolo's power in the Freeza Arc and the Buu Arc, but also between having wasted almost all of your energy and ending up shot in the chest, and finding out you don't have any arms or legs after returning to normal, and at full power, after having been a statue...

BTW, Trunks broke him.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Hades wrote:- Everyone believing Mr. Satan saved the universe when he's a fraud.
This makes perfect sense in-universe and every single person I've ever seen question is immediately suspect to me. No offense.

The way the audience sees Mr. Satan is supposed to be vastly different than how the Dragon World sees him. And then the main characters are there to back us up in our affirmations that yes, this guy is a clown.

People who perceive this as some sort of narrative problem, to me, come off as oddly bitter that the hardcore, lazer-shooting beefed up aliens didn't get credit for being awesomely epic and hardcore maximum, bro, fo'realz. Hercule suxx0rz and is a scrub!!1! DEEEEEE BEEEEEEEE ZEEEEEEE
penguintruth wrote:You're the same as the people who asked to see King Furry's birth certificate.
He was born in a Hawaiian puppy mill until proven otherwise.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm

B wrote:This makes perfect sense in-universe and every single person I've ever seen question is immediately suspect to me.
Yeah, I don't really get it either. I mean, Gohan and co. never do anything at all to take proper credit for stopping Cell. They could at any time go and prove that they're a gazillion times stronger than Mister Satan, and maybe even force a confession out of him, but they simply aren't remotely interested. Under these circumstances, why shouldn't the general public believe Mister Satan's claims?

The only problem I have with the whole situation is where did all the guys like Namu go? You know, Earthlings who aren't Z Warrior-calibre but who still ought to be way stronger than Satan. During the early portion of the series they seemed to be relatively common, but by the Cell/Boo era they seem to all be gone. Why aren't people like King Chapa or even Giran entering the Tenkaichi Budokai anymore?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:07 pm

None of them want to deal with all that fame, so in a way Mr. Satan is a lifesaver for them.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:11 pm

mAcChaos wrote:None of them want to deal with all that fame, so in a way Mr. Satan is a lifesaver for them.
Yeah, in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't taking issue with the fact that Gohan and co. don't take credit. Rather, it's because they obviously aren't interested in taking credit that it makes perfect sense for the general public to believe Mister Satan defeated Cell/Boo. Nobody's making any competing claims, so why shouldn't they believe Satan?
I'm not really sure what you mean, since DB isn't set in the real world.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.