Question about the power pole

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Question about the power pole

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello Everyone! While I was playing Xenoverse and fighting at Kami's lookout, Does the power pole Goku used in Dragonball still connect from Karin's tower to the lookout? because in the game it shows a red pole and at the end of GT I believe Goku is carrying the power pole(but I think some people share the opinion that GT isn't canon so I'm not sure where this would fit in)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Question about the power pole

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:59 pm

I think so, In the anime the pole appears and dispersal quite often in Z. The manga, I cant recall

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:14 pm

If I'm correct, the Power Pole can actually be seen hung up in Goku's house in the background of certain scenes. Presumably once everybody learned to fly, they no longer needed it to reach Kami so Goku just took it back.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:18 pm

In the manga Goku's never seen using it or keeping it around the house after riding it up to the temple that first time. All the instances of adult Goku having it are anime-only. I think it pops up in manga title pages and other artwork too, but those are the same things that depict Goku and co. hanging out with random cave women, flying jets, dressing up as Journey to the West characters, etc, so it doesn't quite "count" as far as the actual storyline.

(Has anyone made some sort of alternate timeline where all the things depicted in title pages and other Toriyama artwork actually happen? That's be awesome.)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Herms wrote:In the manga Goku's never seen using it or keeping it around the house after riding it up to the temple that first time. All the instances of adult Goku having it are anime-only. I think it pops up in manga title pages and other artwork too, but those are the same things that depict Goku and co. hanging out with random cave women, flying jets, dressing up as Journey to the West characters, etc, so it doesn't quite "count" as far as the actual storyline.

(Has anyone made some sort of alternate timeline where all the things depicted in title pages and other Toriyama artwork actually happen? That's be awesome.)
That's a LOT of title pages for someone to go through... although given those guides you've made, it probably seems like a no big deal project to you right? :P
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Herms wrote:In the manga Goku's never seen using it or keeping it around the house after riding it up to the temple that first time. All the instances of adult Goku having it are anime-only. I think it pops up in manga title pages and other artwork too, but those are the same things that depict Goku and co. hanging out with random cave women, flying jets, dressing up as Journey to the West characters, etc, so it doesn't quite "count" as far as the actual storyline.

Don't forget about Goku having it on his back when he went to the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. That probably means he rode it down to Karin's tower after training with God, and from there left on Kinto-un or on foot to get to Papaya Island.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Darn it, that's right. That's it's final proper appearance, isn't it?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Well, for all we know it's just a similar-looking staff that he got to replace it. I like to think Nyoi-bō remains connected to the temple from Piccolo Sr's defeat until the end of time.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:43 pm

I suppose there might as well have been a spare hanging around up at the temple. I mean, obviously it had to come from somewhere, so there might be more from the same source. In fact, it's possible those things are standard issue for all the gods throughout the universe.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:19 pm

That would make an amazing (couple of) TV Special(s). Or at least a decent fanmanga.

Wasn't Goku holding an Umbrella at the 23rd Budokai that happened to look like the Power Pole. Feels a bit odd to use a dub term...

On second thought, I guess he's holding an umbrella, so it would be the Power Pole after all.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 pm

I think Toriyama might have been compelled to backpedal later on when he decided other characters would meet Kami-sama as well. But I very much think, at the time it was drawn, it was supposed to be the Nyoibo.

Even so, though, I don't think it causes any continuity problems. Remember that, during the Saiyan arc, Goku was said to have had two other Dragon Balls at his home that the others had to retrieve after his death. Well, since they had just been called up to train with Kami-sama, it would make sense they'd pick up the Nyoibo while they were there. And after that point, it would stay there.

I suppose the only issue is that there's not necessarily a time in the story where Goku could have told them what the Nyoibo did in connection to it, but at the very least, once they reached Karin, he would have told them, just like he told Goku. Obviously, it would have made more sense if Karin had told Yajirobe, who would've in turn told Kuririn, but, eh...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4