Fan-series art dump

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Fan-series art dump

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:21 am

Hi all, this will be an art dump for a DB fanseries of mine.
Uh...still haven't decided on a name yet, but the story's something I've been working on since I was a little kid so I guess I'm pretty into it, lol. Those of you who know me understand how enthusiastic I am about my characters.

This is the first post, so I might go ahead and arrange them by date and category. The ones at the top will be old work and the bottommost will be the recent ones.
So without further ado:

Character introduction

(Old pic, guh.)
Name: Blaze (A codename that kind of stuck as her name. But in reality, she has no name due to being an experiment)
Description: A pure Tuffle who was created by a group of Tuffle scientists in a lab that was abandoned later on, but continues to preserve her. Though pure in terms of species, she was genetically altered (so, a mutant) in order to make her more suitable for combat but she's still pretty short. (5''0) After centuries pass, she's awakened from stasis by a shinjin and sent to New Namek, where she is brought up as an adoptive Namekian. Despite being accepted by Muuri personally, she harbors a number of issues due to feeling like an outsider. Yet because she is brought up by Namekians, she still considers herself to be one. She has no sense of gender identity, which leads to much frustration and awkward episodes with Coles and the others.
Personality-wise, if I were to put it nicely, she's a troubled kid. Really though, she's an asshole who walks to the beat of her own drum. A true chaotic neutral character, she doesn't care much for morality and pretty much does whatever she wants. As long as the results are favorable for her or she's serving her own whims, she doesn't think twice about whether she's putting others in harm or being helpful and kind. After Piccolo beats some sense into her, however, she starts behaving slightly better...slightly.

--
(holy crap why do these look so bad *laughs dryly*)
Name: Coles
Description: A "Dark Namekian" creation, which makes him a no-no to other Namekians (Guru-Muuri's clan). He and his brother, Karak are prototypes of the "Neo-Namekians" you see in Dragonball Online. Though he is the failed and "tainted" one, and got kicked out of New Namek while his brother Karak was kept on the planet under elder Muuri's cautious eye. Basically, the same Shinjin who meddled earlier with Blaze decides to send him to Earth, just for funsies. In the similar manner of Piccolo Junior, he was shunned as a monster and lived on the fringe of civilization in the mountains by himself for most of his childhood. (the people occupying his area are backward-cultured and uneducated about aliens) Being the "failed" half of his brother, Coles is pretty weak by default. The tainted nature of his energy at first hinders him from utilizing much of his ki if any. You'll see him struggling to even fly by himself at first. While this gets fixed for the most part under Piccolo's training, Coles prefers to rely on his own skills as a swordsman picked up from his father figure, "Pops." (a carefree and somewhat irresponsible wandering merchant and skilled archer-swordsman who took Coles in and raised him)
Personality wise, Coles is very withdrawn and sensitive (he was very shy about his features, and initially took painstaking efforts to cover his identity as a monster/Namekian), and right after meeting Blaze, quite neurotic due to them being branded as world-famous criminals, and him wanting to have nothing to do with law enforcements and bounty hunters (like Rorota, holy shit he is a pain in the neck) coming after him. He also thinks like a human as opposed to a Namekian, kind of like Blaze but in a different way, which is one of the reasons why they had an extremely rocky and quarrelsome start in their relationship.

--
Name: Rorota
A descendant of Goku and Vegeta. As you can imagine, the combination is a disastrous one: overblown ego + fight-obsessed idiot.
Rorota was initially presumed to be dead by his parents after a horrible plane crash incident, but in reality, Piccolo decided to save him at the last minute for sentimental reasons (he looked a lot like Gohan as a little kid, and then grew up to become...this.) against everyone else's warnings with going against fate. He was then handed off to Muten Roshi who surprisingly took him in and kept his identity and connections to the capsule corp a secret. Though Roshi trained Rorota, he took measures to not let him get too strong as to attract attention. Piccolo, who also interacted with Rorota on a somewhat regular basis, also took the effort to keep him down.
But as if that would work on an idiot like this one. Rorota became absorbed in the excitement of fighting and often snuck off on adventures to play the part of a "superhero," one of such results in him meeting Sokurin, who becomes his best friend and right-hand man. Unlike Vegeta's pride, which is remarkably self-contained, Rorota's pride is projected outwardly at a dangerously stupid level, such as him believing himself to be a super star and carrying signed photographs and other merchandise of himself at all times to hand out to confused and/or annoyed bystanders and opponents.
After meeting Blaze and Coles, then experiencing defeat for the first time in his life, he consistently follows them for a rematch, adding to Coles' anxiety and pissing off Blaze, but this meeting actually becomes Rorota's starting point in his journey being a more humbled and composed warrior, which you will notice as the story moves along.
Oh btw. he hates Mr. Satan (though he's ironically related to him genetically, lol) and V-necks.
Last edited by HG-Project on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Re: Fan-series art dump

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:28 am

Additional sketches/doodles (older stuff)

lol. dunno whether to cringe or go, "aww, younger art"
Last edited by HG-Project on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:37 am

Oldish stuff

Maybe you can see sort of an art evolution? idk, I'm still on this masochistic roller coaster ride that is called "improvement"

Newer stuff

unfinished, bleh...

shitty enviro sketch 1

shitty enviro sketch 2
Last edited by HG-Project on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:44 am

Newer works

(unfinished)

color keys

(Ah, also, I owe two people some request pieces here. Will get on that when I can take a breather from work. orz)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:36 am

.....I want one.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 am

Holy cow dude. Looking at your first post, I was thinking "This is pretty cool, I may come back and check these out" but as I scrolled down you really improved over time. And your first stuff wasn't even bad, but the newer is really incredible. I'm really stoked to see this come to fruition. :thumbup:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am

Wow. :o

I mean... wow. :shock:

You reek of pure artistic talent. :clap:

This is gonna reach Dragon Ball Multiverse levels of popularity. I just know it. :thumbup:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm

The art is simply amazing, especially for Rorota who's got one of the best fan designs I've ever seen!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:38 pm

@Kental/Yamato: You sure? These guys grow up to be around the size of lions, lol.

@Big Momma (dat screen-name tho)
Thanks so much! It's just that...well, to put this abstractly: For us artists, (at least the weird ones who think like me) looking at our old work is like going back in time to see a dump that we've taken years/months ago and deciding to flush it (toss/delete) or leave it there. xDD It's an ongoing process of pooping out art and going, "THAT IS A BRILLIANT SPECIMEN OF ART!" Or "WTF?"

@L. Beerus: Ah, thank you! But this is a deeply personal project so I'm actually not hung up about popularity for it. I mean at this point, I just...want to see it on paper, lol. It's been pretty fun obsessively going through the story as thoughts in my head but always had me extremely curious about what it would look like if they were to come alive in a somewhat cohesive manner. It's seriously been over a decade of waiting and I've had enough--just want to see the damn thing already.
It was TheDevilsCorpse who urged me to make a post here about it and show my crap to the Kanzenshuuers a few years ago, and I'm now complying..xD If it hadn't been for him, I wouldn't even be sharing this...*dumb grin*

@ekrolo2: Thank you! And wow, wasn't sure if people would ever respond to Roro's design, actually! (never got much feedback on him) But it's super cool to know that you like him! :D Might do an update piece of his outfits!

--
(Also, will be introducing more characters soon! Thanks for your interest!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:51 pm

HG-Project wrote:@Kental/Yamato: You sure? These guys grow up to be around the size of lions, lol.
Then I can ride one? Yes please. All of my yes.
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:24 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
HG-Project wrote:@Kental/Yamato: You sure? These guys grow up to be around the size of lions, lol.
lol, it might get weird because your ride could casually start talking to you. xD

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Hee, Namekian antennae are so fun.
Last edited by HG-Project on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:54 am

I love your new stuff. Your old stuff is decent as well. You definitely came a long way.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:54 am

HG-Project wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
lol, it might get weird because your ride could casually start talking to you. xD
"Human, get off me will you?"

"No, you're fluffy."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Really cool stuff, i hope it will one day become a comic series :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:"Human, get off me will you?"

"No, you're fluffy."

You can adopt one of Borsch's kids if he ever decides to have puppies, LOL.
coola wrote:Really cool stuff, i hope it will one day become a comic series :)
Thank you! And though that was the initial plan. the series won't be in a comic form. I've already tried drawing out a chapter a couple years back in manga format but it felt super forced and didn't seem all that compatible with the direction I am aiming for. Eventually it got obnoxious so I got fed up with it and put it down. xD
Since the story flows more like a film anyways and it's not like I'll magically start channeling Inoue Takehiko or someone like that for a fanmanga (lol), I think I might personally have a better time and really be able to enjoy the process if the series were to come alive through some other medium.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Ack, forgot this one. Another set of old doodles from a 2012 sketchbook. Piccolo training the idiot treasure hunter duo.

This was when I was reluctant about depicting canon characters because I'd kind of fuck up each one, lol.
Still intimidated now with drawing them because I always want to get them right. ;3;

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:56 am

Concept headshot sketches. Dimensions aren't perfect; still working on figuring things out with this kid..
I like shark-like creatures. ~v~

*halfassed description warning*
Name: Apuri, after "apricot."
Description: Apuri is a member of Appule's race who grew up with his partner in crime, Lantro as an orphan, then joined the mercenary army. He's surprisingly tough compared to Appule or any other members of his race depicted in the original Dragon ball.
Though he may not look like it, Apuri's basically the Casanova of the cast. When he's not fighting or goofing off with Lantro, Mus, and sometimes Karak, he's flirting with females of all races that he encounters (though his style of "courtship" is more rough and bawdy, most women strangely find him charming so they don't mind, lolwtf). For dangerous female warriors, however, he treats them more aggressively because as a mercenary hired by the new emperor (Ridge's uncle), he needs to be able to fight and kill female opponents without hesitation if needed, so he's not exactly a chivalrous gentleman.
Personality wise, he's rather playful and a bit of a prankster, much to Mus and Karak's chagrin. (Lantro often plays along with his antics) He also quite impatient and always needs to be occupied with something or he will end up annoying his comrades out of boredom. Though he enjoys chasing women, deep down, he really prefers the company of his comrades.

HG-Project
Beyond Newbie

Post by HG-Project » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Ahh another old piece I forgot to share:
(Really choppy and halfassed animation, sorry!) Used to take a lot of cues from sakugas like Hiroyuki Yamashita and Sushio back then. Still do, but have been more interested on character expression and interaction as of late.

Also, alsoo, this is a really late realization but didn't expect the number of fantastic artists who were on Kanzenshuu. So glad to be here, it already feels like home. ;o;

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm

HG-Project wrote:Ahh another old piece I forgot to share:
(Really choppy and halfassed animation, sorry!) Used to take a lot of cues from sakugas like Hiroyuki Yamashita and Sushio back then. Still do, but have been more interested on character expression and interaction as of late.

Also, alsoo, this is a really late realization but didn't expect the number of fantastic artists who were on Kanzenshuu. So glad to be here, it already feels like home. ;o;
Looks really promising. :P